Subject: TCP-SACK versus Source Quench messages

From: Hossam Afifi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:46:40 +0100

TCP Sack as a way for Negative acknowledgements

 I have made some simulations with ns (TCP-SACK) by using the SACK
options to report
 for explicit losses in routers instead of IP source quench messages. 
 The result improves the TCP goodput. There are however some questions
that have to be
 answered like:
 -- whether it is permitted to report empty blocks in the sack options:
ie the left and
 right edges are equal. (a  way to announce an explicit segment loss in
the router)?
 -- Can a router modify the IP checksum?

 Hossam Afifi
-- 
*Address       ENST de Bretagne  RSM			* 
*             BP 78-35512 Cesson Sevigne CEDEX          *
*Email        [email-masked]             *
--------------------------------------------------------