Subject: [16NG] Address Resolution for IPCS

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:31:54 +0900

Dear all,

In case of IPCS,  the ARP cache or Neighbor cache as 802.16 MAC address is
never used as part of the 802.16 frame.
Thus, performing the address resolution may by redundant in case of IPCS.
However, we need to consider this issue separately for each IPv4 and IPv6.

IPv4:
Blocking ARP is the right way not to send the unnecessary broadcast
(Ethernet) frames over the air.

IPv6:
Address resolution is the function of IP layer and the IP reachability state
is maintained through NDP packets.
Therefore, I am in line with Jari's concern that blocking NDP packets would
break NUD.

Therefore, I would propose to amend the PS document related with this part
like below:

   Address Resolution is the process by which IP nodes determine the link-
layer address of a destination node on the same IP Subnet given only the
destination's IP address.
    In case of IPCS,  the ARP cache or Neighbor cache as 802.16 MAC address
is never used as part of the 802.16 frame.
   Thus, performing the address resolution may be redundant in case of IPCS.
   For IPv4, blocking ARP needs to be implemented by SS itself in an
implementation manner not to send the unnecessary broadcast (Ethernet)
frames over the air.
   For IPv6, address resolution is the function of IP layer and the IP
reachability state is maintained through neighbor discovery packets.
   Therefore, blocking neighbor discovery packets would break the neighbor
unreachability detection model.

Best Regards,
Junghoon
_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng