Subject: [6lowpan] WGLC on deprecation of section 10 of RFC 4944: October 19

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:03:07 +0200

Lowpanners,

ticket 55 (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/55)  
contains some proposed text that could go into HC to clarify the  
future disposition of RFC 4944's stateless header compression format.

We have had in-room consensus for a number of IETF meetings now to  
deprecate that part of RFC 4944 as soon as HC is approved.  But of  
course, we need to validate this consensus on the mailing list, in  
particular for something as grave as deprecating a sizable part of an  
approved standards-track document.

So this is a special kind of Working Group Last Call -- not on a  
document, but on this single issue:
Should we deprecate section 10 of RFC 4944 when the new context-based  
HC is approved?

We have seen enough yes votes that I'm now mainly interested in  
hearing any disagreement.
draft-ietf-6lowpan-hc documents good reasons for deprecation, but are  
there any reasons against?

Please send your considerations against deprecation, if any, to the  
6lowpan mailing list

	by October 19, 2009, 23:59 UTC.

If nobody speaks up, we will reclassify section 10 of RFC 4944 as NOT  
RECOMMENDED by including some text like the one in ticket 55 in the HC  
draft, which then becomes a standards-track document with its approval.

Gruesse, Carsten