Subject: [6lowpan] CFP ACM BuildSys 2010, in conjunction with ACM SenSys 2010

From: Adam Dunkels <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:21:54 +0200

Call for papers: ACM BuildSys 2010, in conjunction with ACM SenSys 2010

                      http://buildsys.org/2010

2nd ACM Workshop On Embedded Sensing Systems For Energy-Efficiency In 
Buildings and Surroundings

Zurich, Switzerland - November 2, 2010.

Important dates:
    * Submission deadline: 30 July 2010
    * Notification of acceptance: 7 September 2010
    * Camera Ready Due: 25 September 2010
    * Workshop date: 2 November 2010

Technically co-sponsored by ACM[1]. Submissions will be peer-reviewed. 
The Proceedings will be archived in the ACM Digital Library.

The World is increasingly experiencing a strong need for energy 
consumption reduction and a need for efficient use of scarce natural 
resources. Official studies report that buildings account for the 
largest portion of World's energy expenditure and have the fastest 
growth rate. Clearly, energy saving strategies that target energy use in 
buildings and surroundings can have a major impact worldwide, driving 
the current energy market toward self-sufficiency and 
self-sustainability. This calls for effective techniques and methods 
that enable accurate carbon foot printing, monitoring and control of 
appliance activity, energy auditing and management in buildings and 
surroundings and the generation of energy awareness.

Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) plays a key role in enabling 
energy-saving systems in buildings and surrounding spaces by providing a 
reliable, cost-effective and extensible solution that can be placed in 
existing as well as new structures and be controlled via the Internet. 
In fact, WSNs allow the monitoring of the energy consumption  in 
near-real time and, as such, they are an essential tool in the control 
loop that will be used in future structures for the generation and usage 
of diverse types of energy.

Following the success of the past edition of the workshop, BuildSys 2010 
focuses on the intersection between WSNs and energy in buildings by 
merging experts in the WSN domain and experts in the Building/Energy 
community in order to identify innovative solutions which achieve the 
broad goal of energy-reduction.

The workshop welcomes sensor network-based techniques and applications 
that can clearly demonstrate how to:

    * Increase energy awareness and reduce consumption by leveraging on 
sensing systems/social networking/mobile phones, novel visualization and 
other forms of media to convey relevant information to users;

    * Systems that can influence a change of building occupant behaviour 
towards a more parsimonious usage of electricity, gas, heating, water, etc.;

    * Monitor and actuate appliances in residential and industrial 
settings (e.g. data centres, HVAC, etc.)

    * Monitor and control of alternative energy sources aiming at an 
increase of production efficacy;

    * Model and simulate heating cooling lighting, ventilation, water 
usage and other energy flows in buildings and surrounding spaces through 
the combination of real data from sensors and popular energy simulation 
tools such as Energy Plus and TrnSys;

    * Create innovative tools to model and visualize energy expenditure 
and production (from, e.g., solar panels, wind turbines);

    * Integrate sensor-based systems to improve grid operation and 
energy distribution (electricity, gas, water);

Particular emphasis will also be given to:

    * Real evaluation of energy-saving techniques and case studies that 
demonstrate a decrease of energy expenditure in real scenarios;

    * Design of innovative architectures that are capable of reducing 
energy consumption and improve energy use efficiency;

    * Accurate case studies and issues experienced current energy 
systems and how sensor networks can improve the state of the art in 
building energy management;

    * Sensor systems for the identification of appliances in industrial 
and home environments, which can be used to estimate the energy 
usage/production model and to predict future demands;
    * Innovative Sensor Network-assisted building monitoring systems (BMS);

    * Integration of WSNs and wired sensor systems (e.g., Powerline, 
exing BMS) for the energy management in buildings.

General Chair
    * Antonio Ruzzelli, University College Dublin, Ireland

Steering Committee
    * Adam Dunkels, SICS, Sweden
    * Antonio Ruzzelli, University College Dublin, Ireland
    * David Culler, University of Berkeley, US
    * Michele Rossi, Universita’ di Padova, Italy

Publication Chair
    * Rasit Eskicioglu, University of Manitoba, Canada

Local Arrangement Chair
    * Philipp Sommer, ETH, Switzerland

TPC Chairs
    * Alberto Cerpa, UC Merced, US
    * Dirk Pesch, CIT, IE

TPC
    * Adam Dunkels, (SICS, SE)
    * Anthony Schoofs, (UCD, IE)
    * Cormac Sreenan, (UCC, IE)
    * David Culler,(UC Berkeley, US)
    * Kamin Whitehouse, (Virginia University, US)
    * Mani Srivastava, (UCLA, US)
    * Prabal Dutta, (University of Michigan, US)
    * Roger Wattenhofer, (ETH, CH)
    * Tommaso Melodia, (SUNY Buffalo, US)
    * Alain Zarli, (CSTB, FR)
    * Dietrich Schmidt, (Fraunhofer institute, GE)
    * Francis Rubinstein, (LBNL, US)
    * Peter Fuhrmann, (Philips research, GE)
    * Guy Newsham (National Research Council, CA)
    * José J. de las Heras, (Acciona research, SP)
    * Marcus Keane, (NUI, IE)
    * Martijn Bennebroek, (Philips Research, NL)
    * Paul Bertrand, (Watteco Technologies)
    * Sandra Scalari, (ENEL research, IT)
    * Xiaofan Jiang, (UC Berkeley, US)

[1] Approval from ACM is pending.
-- 
Adam Dunkels <[email-masked]> | +46 70 7731614 | http://www.sics.se/~adam/
Book: Interconnecting Smart Objects with IP - http://TheNextInternet.org