Subject: [6lowpan] #99: IESG comment #8 - ND security threats

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:50:14 -0000

#99: IESG comment #8 - ND security threats
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |       Owner:     
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  routing-requirements    |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                       |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Sec 5.4: In the security threats paragraph, it says:

   Neighbor Discovery in IEEE 802.15.4 links may be susceptible to
   threats as listed in RFC3756 [RFC3756].

 Are they or aren't they?  If they are, then which ones apply?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/99>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:52:34 -0000

#99: IESG comment #8 - ND security threats
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |        Owner:        
     Type:  enhancement             |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                   |    Milestone:        
Component:  routing-requirements    |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                       |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Changes (by carlesgo@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 IPv6 ND in IEEE 802.15.4 links is susceptible to threats only if IEEE
 802.15.4 security is not used. Such threats include NS/NA spoofing,
 malicious router, default router killed, good router goes bad, spoofed
 redirect, replay attacks and remote ND DoS [RFC3756].

 However, if IEEE 802.15.4 MAC layer security is used, no other protection
 is needed for IPv6 ND, as long as none of the nodes becomes compromised,
 because the Corporate Intranet Model of RFC 3756 can be assumed [Ref
 ND-11].

 We updated the paragraph mentioned by the AD to include this information.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/99#comment:1>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>