Subject: [6lowpan] #111: IESG comment #20 (by Adrian Farrel) - Support of MAC addresses for Mesh Under

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:07:56 -0000

#111: IESG comment #20 (by Adrian Farrel) - Support of MAC addresses for Mesh
Under
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |       Owner:     
     Type:  task                    |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  routing-requirements    |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                       |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 The Mesh Under description appears to suggest that there is a
 requirement to build a routing system for MAC addresses (i.e. not for
 IP addresses). If this is a requirement it has been far too deeply
 hidden in this document. It needs to be brought out and examined more
 because with one notable exception, the IETF does not normally work
 with routing for non-IP addresses.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/111>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:28:16 -0000

#111: IESG comment #20 (by Adrian Farrel) - Support of MAC addresses for Mesh
Under
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |        Owner:        
     Type:  task                    |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                   |    Milestone:        
Component:  routing-requirements    |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                       |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Changes (by carlesgo@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 RFC 4944 defines the concept of mesh under. Mesh Under uses MAC addresses,
 and [R15] explains a requirement for mesh under scenario, which is a
 consequence of RFC 4944.

 The text didn’t say “MAC addresses” but just say “16-bit short and 64-bit
 addresses”, not to hide something but because we thought it was implicit
 in the text.

 As it seems that [R15] may cause some confusion, we tried to modify the
 text to make it clearer as follows:

 [R15] For Mesh Under, the forwarding mechanisms MUST support 16-bit short
 and 64-bit extended MAC addresses.
 -----------------------

 About the comment of routing for non-IP addresses, Yes, IETF does not
 normally work with routing for non-IP addresses, and this requirement does
 NOT imply that IETF should work for MAC address solution in 6LoWPAN. The
 WG made a consensus to include the Mesh Under scenario not only Route Over
 in this document as this is not a solution document but a requirement
 document. Most of 6LoWPAN documents are considering both of mesh under and
 route over (again which is a consequence of RFC 4944), and so this
 document does as well.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/111#comment:1>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>