Subject: [6lowpan] #119: IESG comment #28 (by the Routing Area Directorate) - Spatial node distribution

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:25:18 -0000

#119: IESG comment #28 (by the Routing Area Directorate) - Spatial node
distribution
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |       Owner:     
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  routing-requirements    |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                       |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Section 4:

 - 4.a in Network Properties: Number of Devices, Density and Network
 Diameter, the paragraph does not provide any specific numbers; in
 particular it does not state the number of FFD vs RFD nodes.

 Related to spatial distribution: How many forwarding neighbors a forwarder
 is expected to have and how RFD/hosts are expected to be connected to an
 FFD/"m node"? This information will enable to determine the minimum number
 of routing entries (one per outgoing interface/next hop).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/119>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:29:08 -0000

#119: IESG comment #28 (by the Routing Area Directorate) - Spatial node
distribution
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  carlesgo@…              |        Owner:        
     Type:  enhancement             |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                   |    Milestone:        
Component:  routing-requirements    |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                       |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                          |  
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Changes (by carlesgo@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 As mentioned in ticket #115, we stopped distinguishing FFD/RFD.

 About the spatial distribution, according to some topology control
 studies, and assuming a random spatial distribution, an average of 7
 neighbors per node are required for approx. 95% network connectivity (10
 neighbors per node are needed for 99% connectivity). But nodes can be
 deployed following other spatial distributions.

 We included this explanation in the document and added a reference.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/119#comment:1>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>