Subject: [6lowpan] Mixing RFD devices with 6lowpan nodes

From: Jon Smirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:50:56 -0400

I'm working on an implementation of 6lowpan for Linux. While putting
it together we ran into a problem with the low level socket API. The
socket API needs to be able to talk to RFD devices (like a RF4CE
remote) and those devices aren't running 6lowpan.

This brought up a couple of problems...

How do you set PAN IDs via the socket interface? This should be
standardized. Using a 8 byte address string would be best since you
don't have to change all of the user space tools that accept/display
addresses.  I like OUI = 802154,  80:21:54:00:pp:pp:ss:ss Low level
code would watch for this special OUI and concert to/from PAN ID/short
address. What about PAN ID and long address?

Should there be a defined bridging behavior that encapsulates packets
from a RFD on a local beaconed PAN as UDP and routes them on the
6lowpan net?

An example of this would be a house with mains powered 6lowpan nodes.
These nodes create small beaconed PANs for RFDs like remote controls.

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]