Subject: [6lowpan] nd #128 (new): Clarification about 6LRs registering addresses

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:39:09 -0000

#128: Clarification about 6LRs registering addresses

 A small clarification should be made on if 6LRs register addresses, from
 the e-mail list during LC:

 ---------

 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
 Of Carsten Bormann
 Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:02 AM
 To: Jongsoo Jeong
 Cc: [email-masked]
 Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Don't 6LRs need to register their addresses to
 6LBR?

 On Oct 7, 2010, at 08:29, Jongsoo Jeong wrote:

 > Hello.
 >
 > I have a question with 6lowpan-nd.
 > In the 'Section 10.3.1. Bootstrapping a Router', A sentence "Initially
 R1 behaves as a host." makes me confused. Does it means that 6LRs must
 register their address?

 6LoWPAN-ND does not take a position.

 It offers a way to do address validation for all nodes (hosts and
 routers).
 If you have another way to get addresses for routers (e.g.,
 pre-configuration, some form of management protocol such as ISA SP100,
 DHCPv6), 6LoWPAN-ND does not force you to use its mechanisms.

 > If it does, do they have to register their address periodically after
 they started a routing protocol? Otherwise, how can 6lowpan-nd prevent
 collisions of 6LRs' addresses?

 If you do use the 6LoWPAN-ND mechanisms, then you indeed need to keep the
 registration fresh.

 Do you think we could improve the text to make this clearer?

 Gruesse, Carsten

 2010/10/7 Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>
 I think improving the text to make this clearer would be useful.

 Thanks,
 Yoav

 Yes. I also agree with Yoav.

 Thanks,
 - Jongsoo

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…              |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  trivial             |   Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/128>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>