Subject: [6lowpan] Don't 6LRs need to register their addresses to 6LBR?

From: Jongsoo Jeong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:29:05 +0900

Hello.

I have a question with 6lowpan-nd.
In the 'Section 10.3.1. Bootstrapping a Router', A sentence "Initially R1
behaves as a host." makes me confused. Does it means that 6LRs must register
their address?

If it does, do they have to register their address periodically after they
started a routing protocol? Otherwise, how can 6lowpan-nd prevent collisions
of 6LRs' addresses?

Regards,

- Jongsoo

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:01:43 +0200

On Oct 7, 2010, at 08:29, Jongsoo Jeong wrote:

> In the 'Section 10.3.1. Bootstrapping a Router', A sentence "Initially R1 behaves as a host." makes me confused. Does it means that 6LRs must register their address?

6LoWPAN-ND does not take a position.

It offers a way to do address validation for all nodes (hosts and routers).
If you have another way to get addresses for routers (e.g., pre-configuration, some form of management protocol such as ISA SP100, DHCPv6), 6LoWPAN-ND does not force you to use its mechanisms.

> If it does, do they have to register their address periodically after they started a routing protocol? Otherwise, how can 6lowpan-nd prevent collisions of 6LRs' addresses?

If you do use the 6LoWPAN-ND mechanisms, then you indeed need to keep the registration fresh.

Do you think we could improve the text to make this clearer?

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:05:07 +0200

I think improving the text to make this clearer would be useful.

Thanks,
Yoav

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Carsten Bormann
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:02 AM
To: Jongsoo Jeong
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Don't 6LRs need to register their addresses to
6LBR?

On Oct 7, 2010, at 08:29, Jongsoo Jeong wrote:

> In the 'Section 10.3.1. Bootstrapping a Router', A sentence "Initially
R1 behaves as a host." makes me confused. Does it means that 6LRs must
register their address?

It offers a way to do address validation for all nodes (hosts and
routers).
If you have another way to get addresses for routers (e.g.,
pre-configuration, some form of management protocol such as ISA SP100,
DHCPv6), 6LoWPAN-ND does not force you to use its mechanisms.

> If it does, do they have to register their address periodically after
they started a routing protocol? Otherwise, how can 6lowpan-nd prevent
collisions of 6LRs' addresses?

If you do use the 6LoWPAN-ND mechanisms, then you indeed need to keep the
registration fresh.

Gruesse, Carsten

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Jongsoo Jeong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:32:05 +0900

Yes. I also agree with Yoav.

Thanks,
- Jongsoo

2010/10/7 Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>