Subject: [Ace] Fwd: [saag] IETF#89 ACE Summary

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:59:16 +0100

FYI: Here my short summary from the BOF (as a write-up for the SAAG).

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [saag] IETF#89 ACE Summary
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:57:16 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

We held the ACE BOF this morning from 9am to 11:30am.

We started with a presentation about what constrained node networks are,
explained use cases & requirements and discussed design choices. We
concluded with a gap analysis.

There was good support for doing the work in the IETF and there was a
fair amount of feedback from the audience regarding the charter text.
About 30 persons indicated that they are willing to review
specifications and 15 persons said that they will be contributing
documents.

The feedback from the audience included:

- Scope of the work

Should it be focused on CoAP / DTLS only? In particular, the question
about the suitability of the developed solutions for HTTP and SMS
transport was raised.

- Assumptions

What assumptions are being made by the use cases in terms of requirement
for a clock, interworking with existing infrastructure, interaction with
proxies, and intermittent connectivity of different parties (off-line
use cases).

- Provisioning of credentials and other configuration parameters

Participants suggested to consider looking at the entire life cycle of
these IoT devices to prevent problems later with provisioning. While
those do not necessarily be standardized in this group there was a
desire to avoid later problems.

As next steps the charter discussions will have to continue to resolve
some of the raised questions. The BOF chairs encouraged the audience to
develop strawman proposals to gain further experience about the
underlying assumptions.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:57:16 +0100

- Scope of the work

- Assumptions

Ciao
Hannes