Subject: [Ace] Fwd: Re: Feedback on building automation use case for ACE IETF

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:20:08 +0200

Hello,

in Toronto Dave Robin promised us to provide feedback on building 
automation use cases from the perspective of the BACnet committee.

FYI here is what he sent me:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Feedback on building automation use case for ACE IETF
From: 	Dave Robin <[email-masked]>

In Toronto, I mentioned that the BACnet committee had had a meeting in
the past to analyze all uses of broadcast and multicast in the building
automation industry.  We came up with this list:

------ From the September 22, 2010 web conference and  the IT-WG Summit
(Sept 21-23, 2011) -----
- Initial bootstrap (DHCP, link-local)
- Small deployments with no central name/discovery server (mDNS, link-local)
- Change-of-Value reporting with many subscribers are more efficiently
handled by multicast
- Lighting: Group commands that must be executed quickly (e.g. "turn on
the 5th floor lights")
*- Reflashing/Updating: Large identical transfers to large numbers of
recipients.
** Time sync
* Sharing of widely-used data (outside air temperature, current
electrical demand)
* Device discovery/binding  (Who-Is?)
* Object discovery (Who-Has?)
* Unsubscribed event notification ("For whomever might care... something
bad happened")
* Router announcement (I-Am-Router-To...)
* Route discovery (Who-Is-Router-To...?)
* Device announcement (I'm here... I'm still here <-- discouraged)
* Private transfer (in use, but no *standard* uses)
* Text message (in use, but no *standard* uses)
------------------------

The "reflashing" use case is the one that I was trying to remember in
Toronto. I knew there was at least one other strong use case besides
just lighting commands.  From our experience,
reflashing/patching/updating even a small wireless device, for example,
is a brutal thing to do over constrained networks, taking thousands of
times the normal operating bandwidth. Doing this to large groups of
devices simultaneously is a tremendous time saver - comparing "an hour"
to to "many days" for completion. But of course, this needs to be done
securely! So it's would be a use case for ACE.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Robin
Sr. Research Engineer
Automated Logic | Building & Industrial Systems | United Technologies
+1(770)795-4888