Subject: [Ace] "default value" for authz-info endpoint

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 15:36:02 -0700

Hi all,

I was prompted by the discussion at the interim to look more closely at
what we say about the "default name" for endpoint URIs, e.g., the
authz-info endpoint.  The last paragraph of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-33#section-5.8.1
says:

   The default name of this endpoint in an url-path is '/authz-info',
   however implementations are not required to use this name and can
   define their own instead.

I've gotten advice from some URI experts that this doesn't give an
easy/discoverable path (pun intended) to using a non-default value, which
is problematic from the perspective of BCP 190 (and we should expect to get
discussed at IESG evaluation time).  This sort of issue goes away if we
allocate a well-known URI for authz-info from
https://www.iana.org/assignments/well-known-uris/well-known-uris.xhtml and
have that be the default.  In particular, that wouldn't actually stop any
deployments from using /authz-info, but it does mean they'd have to
knowingly "opt in" to doing so.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Ben