Subject: [Adslmib] draft-ietf-adslmib-gshdslbis-08

From: [email-masked] (Clay Sikes)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:43 -0500

All,

Version -08 has been submitted and is available on the IETF ADSL MIB
page.   I have made some earlier attempts to Email the draft to the
list, but have been held off due the the recent IETF meeting and
because my message was too long.  Below I have included some text that
was in those Emails that didn't get through.  I think this version
corrects issues raised by Mike Heard during a MIB Doctor Review.

Regards,

Clay Sikes

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Clay Sikes wrote:

All,

Version -08 is ready to be submitted.  However, I-D submissions are
being held off until Monday, March 7, due the up-an-coming IETF
meeting.  As a result,  I have attached version -08 to this Email and
plan submit this version on Monday, March 7, unless there are issues
with it.

The
changes work the issues identified by Mike Heard on January 8, 2005.
Sorry it took so long to get a version out that addresses Mike's
issues.

I'll address each of his issues inline below.  But first here is an
overview of the changes:

I used a newer version of the xml2rfc tool which resulted in
some
textual changes for text the tool generates.  Mostly this is
white-space, line breaks, and "section" was changed "Section" for
spectific
sections in RFCs that is being cited.

I changed "section" to "Section" in places for text I was
responsible for to maintain consistency with what is generated by the
tool.

Dates changed throughout.

Copyright updated to 2005 throughout.

Made changes suggested by Mike in his MIB Doctor Review.

Added some intents to IMPORTS to improve (subjective) look.

Added Bob Ray as also a Co-Chair.

Cleaned up some unwanted blank lines that I was causing. The
tool
still generates some in a couple of places.

Placed the quote ending the CONTACT-INFO section on the
previous
line with the text.  One of the spins of the document had a page break
before the quote which I thought was kinda ugly, so I did this to
prevent that from happening again (I hope).

Change "should" to "SHOULD" in a couple of places.  In a way,
it
seemed like the correct thing to do based on where I think Mike is
steering the draft.

Added acknowledgements to Bert, Randy, and Mike.  I want these
guys to know that they are apprectiated.  Their reviews are awesome!

Some of the references in the Reference sections changed.  Mike
found a typo and that lead me to import the references from
xml.resource.org.  However, I didn't import the references for RFC 2578
and RFC 2579 because they have a dup entry for one of the authors.  I
notified xml.rescource.org of the dup and they should correct it
shortly.

The tool changed "EMail" to "Email" throughout.

Next, I'm asking for two things:

Look over the changes and make sure I didn't break anything.  I
especially need Bert, Randy, and Mike to review the changes.

Before we push this draft any further, I would like to propose
a
significant change to the draft and am looking for anyone who thinks
the proposal is a bad idea.  I would like to break out the TCs such
that they are in a separate TC-MIB module.  The reason is that it has
taken a lot of time to update this MIB module to support G.shdsl.bis.
If there needs to be a future update, and the annex list is a concern,
the change may go faster if only a TC Module needs to be updated.  This
would require at least another spin of the draft along with creating a
dependency.  In anyone feels that this a bad idea, please let me know.
I will not move forward on this if the group feels it's a bad idea.

Finally, I would like to thank Mike for his review.  The resulting
changes will make this a better draft and I hope someday a RFC.

Best Regards,

Clay Sikes

C. M. Heard wrote:

Howdy,

Bert Wijnen asked me to do take a quick look at
draft-ietf-adslmib-gshdslbis-07.txt before it is sent out for IETF
last call. I think that there are some issues with the Security
Considerations section in the draft that warrant a clean-up before
the document goes to the IESG, and I have also found a few minor
editorial ssues. Regarding the MIB module itself, I looked only at
the changes that have been made since RFC 3276; based on that, it
appears to be in good shape and ready to go.

Details are in the MIB Doctor check list below. (It does not quite
match Appendix A of draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-03.txt
because it is based on a new version of the checklist that the MIB
Doctors have been discussing on the mreview list. You are the first
guinea pigs :)

1.) I-D Boilerplate -- OK

2.) Abstract -- OK

3.) MIB Boilerplate -- OK

4.) Security Considerations Section -- this section does not comply
with the Security Guidelines for IETF MIB Modules at
http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html. Editorially, the
material appears in an unexpected order, which makes it hard it hard
to read. Also, there are several redundant/obsolete paragraphs that
appear to be the result of splicing the text from the current
guidelines onto the front of the old security text. There are also
some substantive deficiencies. Because of this I believe that a
rewrite is needed before submission to the IESG. Specific
suggestions follow.

Rewrote the Security Considerations Section to comply with
mib-security.html.  I think that is the best way to address all the
issues below that pertain to that section.

(a) The opening paragraph, viz.,

There are a number of management objects defined in this MIB module
with a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write and/or read-create. Such
objects may be considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network
environments. The support for SET operations in a non-secure
environment without proper protection can have a negative effect on
network operations.

is fine. However, the MIB security guidelines say:

-- if you have any read-write and/or read-create objects, please
-- describe their specific sensitivity or vulnerability.

and I have interpreted that to mean that the sensitivity or
vulnerability of all read-write and read-create objects has to be
explicitly described. That description is supposed to follow the
first paragraph. I don't see any such descriptions. The
read-create objects in this MIB module are:

hdsl2ShdslSpanConfNumRepeaters
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfile
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfAlarmProfile
hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfile
hdsl2ShdslMaintLoopbackConfig
hdsl2ShdslMaintPowerBackOff
hdsl2ShdslMaintSoftRestart
hdsl2ShdslMaintLoopbackTimeout
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMinLineRate
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMaxLineRate
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfPSD
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfTransmissionMode
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfRemoteEnabled
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfPowerFeeding
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfCurrCondTargetMarginDown
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWorstCaseTargetMarginDown
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfCurrCondTargetMarginUp
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWorstCaseTargetMarginUp
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfUsedTargetMargins
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfReferenceClock
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfLineProbeEnable
hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfileRowStatus
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshLoopAttenuation
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshSNRMargin
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshES
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshSES
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshCRCanomalies
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshLOSWS
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshUAS
hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfileRowStatus

Some of these objects undoubtedly could, if misconfigured, cause
traffic disruptions. Others (such as hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshSNRMargin
and hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshLoopAttenuation) could possibly be
misconfigured in such a way as to allow notification floods. Some
might cause only minor (or maybe even no) ill effects. Whatever
is the case, this section needs to spell that out explicitly for
each writeable object. If some considerations apply to several
objects, it is of course OK to say to list the those objects rather
than repeating the text for each; the important thing is to make
the information available for every writeable object.

The following text (which is presently in the draft) is NOT an
acceptable substitute for the specific descriptions required by the
guidelines. Furthermore, the first sentence is simply wrong, since
it contradicts the recommendation elsewhere in the text to use
SNMPv3 security to do just the thing that it it says is out of
scope.

Blocking unauthorized access to the HDSL2-SHDSL MIB via the element
management system is outside the scope of this document. It should
be noted that access to the MIB permits the unauthorized entity to
modify the profiles such that both subscriber service and network
operations can be interfered with. Subscriber service can be altered
by modifying any of a number of service characteristics such as rate
partitioning and maximum transmission rates. Network operations can
be impacted by modification of notification thresholds such as SES
thresholds.

(b) The text on readable objects and the remainder of the
boilerplate should be condensed and reorganized into standard form.
I suggest:

Some of the readable objects in this MIB module ( i.e., objects with
a MAX-ACCESS other than not-accessible) may be considered sensitive
or vulnerable in some network environments. In particular, certain
objects will reveal information about which vendor's equipment is in
use on the network, which in many enviromments may be considered
sensitive for competitive reasons. It is thus important to control
even GET and/or NOTIFY access to these objects and possibly even to
encrypt their values when sending them over the network via SNMP.

These identifying objects in the inventory group are:

- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorID
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorModelNumber
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorSerialNumber
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorEOCSoftwareVersion
- hdsl2ShdslInvStandardVersion
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorListNumber
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorIssueNumber
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorSoftwareVersion
- hdsl2ShdslInvEquipmentCode
- hdsl2ShdslInvVendorOther
- hdsl2ShdslInvTransmissionModeCapability

SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 did not include adequate security.
Even if the network itself is secure (for example by using IPSec),
even then, there is no control as to who on the secure network is
allowed to access and GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the objects
in this MIB module.

It is RECOMMENDED that implementers consider the security features as
provided by the SNMPv3 framework (see [RFC3410], section 8),
including full support for the SNMPv3 cryptographic mechanisms (for
authentication and privacy).

Further, deployment of SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 is NOT
RECOMMENDED. Instead, it is RECOMMENDED to deploy SNMPv3 and to
enable cryptographic security. It is then a customer/operator
responsibility to ensure that the SNMP entity giving access to an
instance of this MIB module is properly configured to give access to
the objects only to those principals (users) that have legitimate
rights to indeed GET or SET (change/create/delete) them.

It should be noted that interface indices in this MIB module are
maintained persistently. View-based Access Control Model (VACM)
data relating to these should be stored persistently.

(c) Regarding this:

HDSL2-SHDSL layer connectivity from the xtuR will permit the
subscriber to manipulate both the HDSL2-SHDSL link directly and the
HDSL2-SHDSL embedded operations channel (EOC) for their own loop.
For example, unchecked or unfiltered fluctuations initiated by the
subscriber could generate sufficient notifications to potentially
overwhelm either the management interface to the network or the
element manager.

It is not sufficient just to state that notification flooding can
occur. It is necessary to provide a mechanism to prevent it. Cf.
the following discussion on the mreview list from December 2002:

| On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 Bert Wijnen wrote:
| > > 2) DoS attacks (as described in some of the ADSL MIBs'
| > > security considerations sections) based on the
| > > conditions under which notifications are generated.
| > >
| > Mmm... I wonder... in the end it depends on
| > - having proper access control to those objects that control/limit
| > the sending of notifications (for example access to the tables in
| > RFC3413).
| > - ensuring that no notification flooding will take place.
| > That I guess depends on proper mib design and the MIB doctors should
| > be looking for such issues. I don't think it is OK to just say that
| > DoS attacks are possible. Better to build in controls to prevent it.
|
| There is now text in 4.7 to the effect that notifications which can
| be generated by rapidly changing external conditions SHOULD have a
| rate-limiting mechanism in order to avoid overwhelming the network
| with floods of notifications. RFC 2108/RFC 2737 are cited as examples.

The "text in 4.7" referred to above is this:

In many cases notifications will be triggered by external events, and
sometimes it will be possible for those external events to occur at a
sufficiently rapid rate that sending a notification for each
occurrence would overwhelm the network. In such cases a mechanism
MUST be provided for limiting the rate at which the notification can
be generated. A common technique is to require that the notification
generator use throttling -- that is, to require that it generate no
more than one notification for each event source in any given time
interval of duration T. The throttling period T MAY be configurable,
in which case it is specified in a MIB object, or it MAY be fixed, in
which case it is specified in the notification definition. Examples
of the fixed time interval technique can be found in the SNMP-
REPEATER-MIB [RFC2108] and in the ENTITY-MIB [RFC2737bis].

If I correctly understood what I read in the MIB module (and it is
certainly possible that I did not), then it would appear that the
notifications that could be flooded in case of fluctuations
initiated by the subscriber are hdsl2ShdslLoopAttenCrossing and
hdsl2ShdslSNRMarginCrossing, which are controlled by the writeable
objects hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshLoopAttenuation and
hdsl2ShdslEndpointThreshSNRMargin. At the very least the user
should be warned that incorrect configuration of these objects could
lead to that exposure (cf. (a) above). You may also want to
consider adding a throttling mechanism to those notifications. As
far as I could tell, the other notifications are already
rate-controlled.

(d) Regarding this:

It is conceivable that a management application that was designed to
support G.SHDSL as defined in RFC 3276 [RFC3276] could be broken by a
G.shdsl.bis agent which reports objects for additional wire pairs (as
noted in Section 7).

For example, if a management application blindly loaded object
instances into an array until the object changes (during repeated
GET-NEXT requests). It is anticipated that the modifications to the
management application code would be straightforward.

This is not really a security issue, it is an implementation
consideration, and it is already dealt with (very well, I might add)
in the Implementation Analysis section. Please remove it from here.

(e) Please get rid of all redundant/obsolete stuff from previous
versions of the security boilerplate. If you include the material I
requested in (a) and (b) above that should be enough.

5.) IANA Considerations Section -- OK

6.) References -- there are a few minor issues here.

(a) I don't think that RFC 3276 should be normative, since it is not
necessary to consult with it in order to implement the new revision
of the MIB module. Please move it to the Informative References
section.

Moved to Informative References.

(b) The current version of Security Guidelines for IETF MIB Modules
at http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html no longer requires the
USM and VACM documents as references. If as requested in (4) above
the Security Considerations section is rewritten to conform to the
guidelines, then [RFC3414] and [RFC3415] will no longer be needed
and so should be eliminated (the RFC Editor will remove them if
there is no citation in the text.)

Removed the 3414 and 3415 references.

(c) there are some typos in informative reference [RFC3410]:
OLD:
[RFC3410] Case, J., Mindy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
"Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet
Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.
NEW:
[RFC3410] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
"Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet-
Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.

Corrected by importing the references from xml.rescource.org

(d) For completeness, I verified that the documents containing MIB
modules from which definitions are imported (viz., RFCs 2578, 2579,
2863, 3593, 3411, and 2580) are included among the Normative
References and that they are cited in the text.

7.) Copyright Notices -- OK

8.) IPR Notice -- I see the following paragraph that is not actually
required by RFC 3668:

The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed
in regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
document. For more information consult the online list of claimed
rights.

I don't think that this is a problem, however, since this text will
be reviewed and if necessary revised during the RFC publication
process.

The xml2rfc tool generates this text.  If this is any kind of a
concern, it would be best to let the xml.rescource.org know.

9.) Other issues -- editorial nits, typos, and anything mentioned in
http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html that are not covered elsewhere:

(a) typo/punctuation in second paragraph of Section 3.1.2:
OLD:
The following attributes are part of the mandatory ifGeneral group in
RFC 2863 [RFC2863], and are not duplicated in the HDSL2/SHDSL Line
MIB.
NEW:
The following attributes are part of the mandatory
ifGeneralInformationGroup in RFC 2863 [RFC2863] and are not
duplicated in the HDSL2/SHDSL Line MIB.

Made the change.

(b) in Figure 1, the following was omitted:

ifAlias See interfaces MIB [RFC2863].

Added ifAlias.

(c) in the DESCRIPTION clause of hdsl2ShdslSpanConfUsedTargetMargins:
OLD:
"Contains indicates whether a target SNR margin is enabled or
disabled. This is a bit-map of possible settings. The
various bit positions are:
NEW:
"Indicates whether a target SNR margin is enabled or
disabled. This is a bit-map of possible settings. The
various bit positions are:

Corrected the text.

(d) punctuation in next-to-last paragraph of Section 7:
OLD:
A management application intended to manage G.shdsl.bis agents,
should be modified to accept this sequence.
NEW:
A management application intended to manage G.shdsl.bis agents
should be modified to accept this sequence.

Removed the comma.

10.) Technical content -- review of actual technical content for
compliance with <draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-03.txt>:

(a) MIB compilation:

Running smilint identified no errors or warnings.

Running smidiff to evaluate the changes with respect to rfc3276
produced numerous messages. The ones that warrant comment are
discussed below.

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:418 [3] {range-changed} range of type used
in `hdsl2ShdslStatusMaxAttainableLineRate' changed from
`(0..4112000)' to `(0..4294967295)'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:432 [3] {range-changed} range of type used
in `hdsl2ShdslStatusActualLineRate' changed from
`(0..4112000)' to `(0..4294967295)'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1646 [3] {range-changed} range of type used
in `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMinLineRate' changed from
`(0..4112000)' to `(0..4294967295)'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1664 [3] {range-changed} range of type used
in `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMaxLineRate' changed from
`(0..4112000)' to `(0..4294967295)'

These are flagged as level 3 by smidiff because liberalization of a
range is not among the changes permitted by RFC 2578. However, I
think that what you are doing here is correcting a bug in the
original MIB module by relaxing an arbitrarily restrictive subrange,
and I agree that it is a good thing to do. Furthermore, I see that
SYNTAX refinements have been added to the compliance statement
requiring only the subrange (0..4112000) for these objects:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2362 [5] {refinement-added} warning:
object refinement for `hdsl2ShdslStatusMaxAttainableLineRate'
added to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2370 [5] {refinement-added} warning:
object refinement for `hdsl2ShdslStatusActualLineRate' added
to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2378 [5] {refinement-added} warning:
object refinement for `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMinLineRate' added
to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2386 [5] {refinement-added} warning:
object refinement for `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMaxLineRate' added
to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'

I see also that this issue is explicitly discussed in Section 7 of
the text, which I would not have asked for but which is a very good
idea. So I think you are good to go on this score.

I see also that some enumerations have been added in a couple of
places. One is in the definition of the Hdsl2ShdslWirePair TC:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:221 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `wirePair3' added to type `Hdsl2ShdslWirePair'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:221 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `wirePair4' added to type `Hdsl2ShdslWirePair'

This TC is used in the definition of hdsl2ShdslEndpointWirePair:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:740 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `wirePair3' added to type used in `hdsl2ShdslEndpointWirePair'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:740 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `wirePair4' added to type used in `hdsl2ShdslEndpointWirePair'

which is an INDEX object used only in tables that do not support
dynamic row creation. Thus, the agent decides unilaterally for
which values a row is instantiated, hence adding these values has no
effect on the semantics of the compliance statement. So this is OK.

Another place is in the definition of hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1628 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `sixWire' added to type used in `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1628 [5] {named-number-added} warning: named
number `eightWire' added to type used in `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface'

and I see that it now has a refinement so that only the original
values twoWire(1) and fourWire(2) are required to be supported:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2350 [5] {refinement-added} warning:
object refinement for `hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface' added
to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'

So you are good to go here, too.

I see that there are some new objects:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:453 [5] {node-added} warning: column
`hdsl2ShdslStatusMaxAttainablePayloadRate' has been added
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:467 [5] {node-added} warning: column
`hdsl2ShdslStatusActualPayloadRate' has been added
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1141 [5] {node-added} warning: column
`hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrTipRingReversal' has been added
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:1155 [5] {node-added} warning: column
`hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrActivationState' has been added

and that they are packaged into two new object groups:

HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2645 [5] {node-added} warning: group
`hdsl2ShdslWirePairGroup' has been added
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2658 [5] {node-added} warning: group
`hdsl2ShdslPayloadRateGroup' has been added

which in turn have been added to the compliance statement as
optional groups:

DSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2338 [2] {option-added} optional group
`hdsl2ShdslWirePairGroup' added to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'
HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB.mi2:2344 [2] {option-added} optional group
`hdsl2ShdslPayloadRateGroup' added to `hdsl2ShdslLineMibCompliance'

Again, these are flagged at level 2 since RFC 2580 does not
specifically permit adding optional groups to a compliance
statement. However this really is OK since it does not change
the semantics. So you are good to go here, too.

(b) I have also verified that all the changes reported by smidiff
are accounted for in the current REVISION clause change log.

This concludes the review of draft-ietf-adslmib-gshdslbis-07.txt.

Mike Heard

_______________________________________________

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Mike Heard wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Clay Sikes wrote:
[ ... overview of changes snipped ... ]

> Next, I'm asking for two things:
> 1. Look over the changes and make sure I didn't break anything.
> I especially need Bert, Randy, and Mike to review the changes.

All of my review comments seem to have been addressed. I
particularly commend the effort that you put into the Security
Considerations section; it looks like a lot of thought went into
that. The work that you put into the section on notification
throttling is also appreciated. As for the formatting/editorial
changes, it all looks for the better ... I did not see anything
that got broken.

> 2. Before we push this draft any further, I would like to propose
> a significant change to the draft and am looking for anyone
> who thinks the proposal is a bad idea. I would like to break
> out the TCs such that they are in a separate TC-MIB module.
> The reason is that it has taken a lot of time to update this
> MIB module to support G.shdsl.bis. If there needs to be a
> future update, and the annex list is a concern, the change may
> go faster if only a TC Module needs to be updated. This would
> require at least another spin of the draft along with creating
> a dependency. In anyone feels that this a bad idea, please
> let me know. I will not move forward on this if the group
> feels it's a bad idea.

Unfortunately, moving TCs (or other any definitions) to a different
MIB module breaks backward compatibility with any MIB modules
(including, possibly, enterprise MIB modules) that IMPORT those TCs
from HDSL2-SHDSL-LINE-MIB. For this reason, it is usually not
considered acceptable to move definitions from one MIB module to
another. See RFC 2578, Section 10, next-to-last paragraph on p. 37.

Mike

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 Clay Sikes wrote:

Mike Heard pointed out on his 2/23 response to
the changes described below that the idea of breaking out TCs into a
separate module breaks backward compatibility.  So that idea goes down
in flames.

-- Paradyne Mail --

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:58:52 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Clay Sikes wrote:
> Version -08 has been submitted and is available on the IETF ADSL
> MIB page.  I have made some earlier attempts to Email the draft
> to the list, but have been held off due the the recent IETF
> meeting and because my message was too long.  Below I have
> included some text that was in those Emails that didn't get
> through.  I think this version corrects issues raised by Mike
> Heard during a MIB Doctor Review.

I agree that the issues I raised have been corrected.  For the
record, here's what I said in my reply to Clay's earlier mail:

> changes, it all looks for the better ... I did not see anything

HOWEVER ... what ended up in the repository does not have any of the
the '=' characters that appeared in the draft Clay sent me in his
original e-mail.  This needs to be corrected post-haste, as the
resulting MIB module won't compile.  A context diff between the
version in Clay's e-mail and what now appears in the repository is
attached below.  This may have been a result of erroneous QP
encoding.

Mike Heard

*** Internet-Drafts/draft-ietf-adslmib-gshdslbis-08.txt	Mon Feb 21 14:18:27 2005
--- I-D-StagingArea/draft-ietf-adslmib-gshdslbis-08.txt	Tue Mar 08 13:57:58 2005
***************
*** 1,3 ****
- 
- 
- 
--- 0 ----
***************
*** 228 ****
!    ===================================================================
--- 225 ----
!    ==================================================================
***************
*** 260 ****
!    ===================================================================
--- 257 ----
!    ==================================================================
***************
*** 1111 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanConfEntry ::=
--- 1108 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanConfEntry ::
***************
*** 1212 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanStatusEntry ::=
--- 1209 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanStatusEntry ::
***************
*** 1351 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslInventoryEntry ::=
--- 1348 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslInventoryEntry ::
***************
*** 1557 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointConfEntry ::=
--- 1554 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointConfEntry ::
***************
*** 1649 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrEntry ::=
--- 1646 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrEntry ::
***************
*** 2060 ****
!    Hdsl2Shdsl15MinIntervalEntry ::=
--- 2057 ----
!    Hdsl2Shdsl15MinIntervalEntry ::
***************
*** 2171 ****
!    Hdsl2Shdsl1DayIntervalEntry ::=
--- 2168 ----
!    Hdsl2Shdsl1DayIntervalEntry ::
***************
*** 2311 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointMaintEntry ::=
--- 2308 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointMaintEntry ::
***************
*** 2418 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslUnitMaintEntry ::=
--- 2415 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslUnitMaintEntry ::
***************
*** 2488 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfileEntry ::=
--- 2485 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfileEntry ::
***************
*** 2823 ****
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfileEntry ::=
--- 2820 ----
!    Hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfileEntry ::
***************
*** 3234 ****
!    hdsl2ShdslGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
--- 3231 ----
!    hdsl2ShdslGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::
***************
*** 3236 ****
!    hdsl2ShdslCompliances OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
--- 3233 ----
!    hdsl2ShdslCompliances OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::
***************
*** 4258,4259 ****
- 
- -- Paradyne Mail --
--- 4254 ----

---

From: "Clay Sikes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:28:17 -0500

Sorry!
I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps I grabbed the wrong file.  I'll spin 
out version -09 to correct the issue by 8 A.M., Wednesday, 3/16/2005,
making sure I run smilint, idnits, etc (some general QA tools) prior to 
the submission.

Thanks for the catch Mike.  You're my hero!

- Clay

-- Paradyne Mail --