Subject: [Adslmib] Phase 1 Comments on draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-01

From: Clay Sikes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:31:59 -0400

Thanks Moti, Menachem, Scott, and Umberto for the awesome work you are
doing on this draft.  I'm going to be reviewing the draft and look
forward to providing comments.  Most likely, I'll send comments in
phases as I dig deeper into it.

For phase 1, I just ran "smilint -m -s -l6 -inamelength-32" and it
identified the following issues:

adsl2SCStatusDirection has an empty description.

Several objects misuse INTEGER.   Seems like Integer32 or
Unsigned32 should be used.  See comment below on "Objects that are of a
`Count of seconds' below.  The objects smilint tagged are as follows:

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinFecSeconds

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinEs

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinSes

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinLoss

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinUas

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinFecSeconds

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinEs

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinSes

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinLoss

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinUas

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedFullInt

adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedShrtInt

adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCodingViolations

adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCorrected

adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCodingViolations

adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCorrected

adsl2LineAlarmConfTemplateGroup has an empty description.

None of the notifications are reverse mappable.

Most likely the change needs to be made to adsl2Notifications such that
the OID is { someOID 0 }.

Perhaps adsl2Notifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { adsl2 0 } or

adsl2Notifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ngdslMIB 0 }.

The important thing is to have the next-to-the-last integral value a 0.

TimeTicks is imported but not used.

snmpModules is imported but not use.

Other thinks that I noticed without going into any depth were:

There are several objects that are a "Count of seconds" and have
a syntax of Unsigned32.  Since they are counting, doesn't the Counter32
syntax provide a better fit?

I wonder if it would be better to break out the TCs into another
one or more additional MIBs? I am especially concerned with the
Adsl2TransmissionModeType. I would expect that over time, reserved bits
may be defined or additional bits may be defined. The length of time to
respin an RFC could  be measured in years. I would hope that it would
be less if it is a standalone TC. In any case it might be easier to
unload a TC and load a draft TC that defines the new bits. Thoughts?

The description text for adsl2LineStatusAtuTransSys and
adsl2LInvTransmissionType seem to reproduce much of the description
text in the Adsl2TransmissionModeType TC (i.e. the bit definitions). It
seems like the bit definition description text should be limited to the
TC so that when new bits are defined in the future, only one update is
needed.

I'll feed more comments as I dig deeper.

Thanks again for the awesome work!

Best Regards,

Clay Sikes

-- Paradyne Mail --

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:07:24 +0200

I think, these warnings are the same as that listed under point 2 below
 
C:\bwijnen\smicng\work>smicng adsl2.inc
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3509,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinFecSeco
nds" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3524,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinEs" wit
h syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3538,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinSes" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3552,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinLoss" w
ith syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3566,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinUas" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3580,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinFecSeco
nds" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3594,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinEs" wit
h syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3608,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinSes" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3623,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinLoss" w
ith syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3637,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinUas" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3651,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedFullI
nt" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3664,21) Item "adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedShrtI
nt" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3733,21) Item "adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCodingVio
lations" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3746,21) Item "adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCorrected
" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3760,21) Item "adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCodingVio
lations" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3773,21) Item "adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCorrected
" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (4044,4) Sequence "Adsl2PMLineCurrInitEntry" and Row "adsl2PMrL
ineCurrInitEntry" should have related names
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (6,7) "TimeTicks" imported but not used
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (10,7) "snmpModules" imported but not used
 
*** 0 errors and 19 warnings in parsing

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Clay Sikes
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 21:32
To: IETF ADSL MIB List
Subject: [Adslmib] Phase 1 Comments on draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-01

Thanks Moti, Menachem, Scott, and Umberto for the awesome work you are doing on this draft.  I'm going to be reviewing the draft and look forward to providing comments.  Most likely, I'll send comments in phases as I dig deeper into it.

For phase 1, I just ran "smilint -m -s -l6 -inamelength-32" and it identified the following issues:

1.	adsl2SCStatusDirection has an empty description. 

2.	Several objects misuse INTEGER.   Seems like Integer32 or Unsigned32 should be used.  See comment below on "Objects that are of a `Count of seconds' below.  The objects smilint tagged are as follows:

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinFecSeconds 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinEs 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinSes 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinLoss 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinUas 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinFecSeconds 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinEs 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinSes 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinLoss 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinUas 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedFullInt 

*	adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedShrtInt 

*	adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCodingViolations 

*	adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCorrected 

*	adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCodingViolations 

*	adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCorrected 

3.	adsl2LineAlarmConfTemplateGroup has an empty description. 

4.	None of the notifications are reverse mappable.  
Most likely the change needs to be made to adsl2Notifications such that the OID is { someOID 0 }. 
Perhaps adsl2Notifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { adsl2 0 } or
adsl2Notifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ngdslMIB 0 }.  
The important thing is to have the next-to-the-last integral value a 0.

5.	TimeTicks is imported but not used. 

6.	snmpModules is imported but not use. 

1.	There are several objects that are a "Count of seconds" and have a syntax of Unsigned32.  Since they are counting, doesn't the Counter32 syntax provide a better fit? 

2.	I wonder if it would be better to break out the TCs into another one or more additional MIBs? I am especially concerned with the Adsl2TransmissionModeType. I would expect that over time, reserved bits may be defined or additional bits may be defined. The length of time to respin an RFC could  be measured in years. I would hope that it would be less if it is a standalone TC. In any case it might be easier to unload a TC and load a draft TC that defines the new bits. Thoughts?

The description text for adsl2LineStatusAtuTransSys and adsl2LInvTransmissionType seem to reproduce much of the description text in the Adsl2TransmissionModeType TC (i.e. the bit definitions). It seems like the bit definition description text should be limited to the TC so that when new bits are defined in the future, only one update is needed. 

Best Regards,
Clay Sikes

-- Paradyne Mail --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:53:27 +0300

Hello Bert, Clay,

      Thank you kindly for your comments.

      The following changes have been made:

      Item #1.    adsl2SCStatusDirection - description added.
      Item #2

             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinFecSeconds - changed
             to HCPerfIntervalThreshold (RFC 3705)
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinEs - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinSes - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinLoss - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinUas - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinFecSeconds - changed
             to HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinEs - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinSes - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinLoss - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinUas - changed to
             HCPerfIntervalThreshold
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedFullInt - changed to
             Unsigned32
             adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedShrtInt - changed to
             Unsigned32
             adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCodingViolations -
             changed to Unsigned32
             adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCorrected - changed to
             Unsigned32
             adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCodingViolations -
             changed to Unsigned32
             adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCorrected - changed to
             Unsigned32

    Item #3.      adsl2LineAlarmConfTemplateGroup - description added.
    Item #4.    Changed to: adsl2Notifications OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {
       adsl2 0 }
          Item #5.      TimeTicks removed from imports.
    Item #6.      snmpModules removed from imports.

    Additional Items
    ===========
    Item #1: Adsl2PMLineCurrEntry
            a. The Syntax of the counter objects were changed to Counter32.
            b. The Syntax of the time elapsed objects were changed to
       HCPerfTimeElapsed. (RFC 3705)

               Adsl2PMLineHist1DayEntry
                         The Syntax of the counter objects were changed to
       Counter32.

                   Adsl2PMLineHist15MinEntry
                      The Syntax of the counter objects were changed to
       Counter32.

            Adsl2PMChCurrEntry
               The Syntax of the time elapsed objects were changed to
       HCPerfTimeElapsed.

     Item #2: Removed the repetition in the description limiting it to the
TC as suggested.

Best Regards,

Menachem Dodge
ECI Telecom Ltd.
Broadband Access Division

Tel:      +972-3-9268421
Mobile: +972-54-5788421
Fax:      +972-3-9287342

                      "Wijnen, Bert                                                                                                    
                      (Bert)"                  To:      Clay Sikes <[email-masked]>, IETF ADSL MIB List <[email-masked]>           
                      <bwijnen@lucent.         cc:                                                                                     
                      com>                     Subject: RE: [Adslmib] Phase 1 Comments on draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-01                  
                      Sent by:                                                                                                         
                      adslmib-bounces@                                                                                                 
                      ietf.org                                                                                                         

                      12/09/2005 17:07                                                                                                 

C:\bwijnen\smicng\work>smicng adsl2.inc
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3509,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinFecSeco
nds" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3524,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinEs" wit
h syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3538,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinSes" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3552,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinLoss" w
ith syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3566,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinUas" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3580,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinFecSeco
nds" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3594,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinEs" wit
h syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3608,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinSes" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3623,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinLoss" w
ith syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3637,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinUas" wi
th syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3651,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedFullI
nt" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3664,21) Item
"adsl2LineAlarmConfProfileThresh15MinFailedShrtI
nt" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3733,21) Item
"adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCodingVio
lations" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3746,21) Item
"adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAtucThresh15MinCorrected
" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3760,21) Item
"adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCodingVio
lations" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (3773,21) Item
"adsl2ChAlarmConfProfileAturThresh15MinCorrected
" with syntax INTEGER is required to have a range specified in SMIv2
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (4044,4) Sequence "Adsl2PMLineCurrInitEntry" and Row
"adsl2PMrL
ineCurrInitEntry" should have related names
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (6,7) "TimeTicks" imported but not used
W: f(adsl2.mi2), (10,7) "snmpModules" imported but not used

 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
 Of Clay Sikes
 Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 21:32
 To: IETF ADSL MIB List
 Subject: [Adslmib] Phase 1 Comments on draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-01

 Thanks Moti, Menachem, Scott, and Umberto for the awesome work you are
 doing on this draft.  I'm going to be reviewing the draft and look forward
 to providing comments.  Most likely, I'll send comments in phases as I dig
 deeper into it.

    2. Several objects misuse INTEGER.   Seems like Integer32 or Unsigned32
       should be used.  See comment below on "Objects that are of a `Count
       of seconds' below.  The objects smilint tagged are as follows:
       Most likely the change needs to be made to adsl2Notifications such
       that the OID is { someOID 0 }.
       The important thing is to have the next-to-the-last integral value a
       0.

 Other thinks that I noticed without going into any depth were:
    1. There are several objects that are a "Count of seconds" and have a
       syntax of Unsigned32.  Since they are counting, doesn't the
       Counter32 syntax provide a better fit?
    2. I wonder if it would be better to break out the TCs into another one
       or more additional MIBs? I am especially concerned with the
       Adsl2TransmissionModeType. I would expect that over time, reserved
       bits may be defined or additional bits may be defined. The length of
       time to respin an RFC could  be measured in years. I would hope that
       it would be less if it is a standalone TC. In any case it might be
       easier to unload a TC and load a draft TC that defines the new bits.
       Thoughts?

       The description text for adsl2LineStatusAtuTransSys and
       adsl2LInvTransmissionType seem to reproduce much of the description
       text in the Adsl2TransmissionModeType TC (i.e. the bit definitions).
       It seems like the bit definition description text should be limited
       to the TC so that when new bits are defined in the future, only one
       update is needed.

 Best Regards,
 Clay Sikes

 -- Paradyne Mail --