Subject: Agentx timetable

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:29:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

What's the current timetable for the updates to RFC 2257 and the AgentX
MIB document?  It's been quite a while since the working group has met.
Are there any plans to meet in Oslo?

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is coincidental.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:04:31 -0500

>At 3/24/99:07:29 PM, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Hi Randy,

>What's the current timetable for the updates to RFC 2257
>and the AgentX MIB document?

I am happy to report that our editor for the protocol spec
(Dale Francisco) recently came back on-line, so to speak,
after a series of international assignments for his employer
which had precluded his active participation for some time.

The primary author of the protocol spec (Mike Daniele) has
made all technical revisions to RFC2257 indicated by previous
IETF WG meetings and on-list issue discussion.  Similarly,
the primary MIB author (Lauren Heintz) has completed all
technical revisions to the MIB document.

Both of those documents are currently in Dale's possession
and he is in the process of:

   - Ensuring technical consistency/completeness within
     the RFC2257 revision;

   - Ensuring technical consistency between the revised
     RFC2257 and MIB documents;

   - Performing an editorial pass on the RFC2257 document
     (and optionally also on the MIB document);

   - Formatting the documents for RFC and/or I-D submission
     as the case may be;

   - Anything else he deems appropriate and feasible.

Following the completion of that process, both documents
will be re-posted to the AgentX list for a brief period
of review and comments (say, 2 weeks).

During that time, I will be working with our ADs to assess
the appropriate next step for these documents...esp. whether
RFC2257 can/should be advanced to Draft Standard status or
must/should recycle at Proposed Standard status and our next
set of Charter revisions, if any.  Of couse, all WG members
will have open input into that decision as well.

I do not have a definitive date for completion of Dale's
current part (which is the gating factor here), but is
in "crunch mode" on it for the current period so I am
anticipating a near-term delivery (i.e., one to two weeks).

>It's been quite a while since the working group has met.

Not presently.  It seems that the current consensus
opinion--at least among the core design team--is that we
(the AgentX community at-large) will be better served by
focusing on an additional "bake-off" event as a means
of promoting further imlementation work and of gathering
additional interoperability reports.  Given the number
(several!) of known new implementations underway that
were not represented in the last bake-off, this seems
to be a good idea.  Mike has offered Compaq/Digital
facilities in New England for this event and current
possible timing is mid- to late-Summer of this year.

All of the above is, of course, open for further
discussion by any and all interested parties.

For people who have not been following the WG status
all that closely due to the delay in publishing the
document revisions, things should start to pick up
very soon now and you might want to check both the
WG web page (managed by Dave Keeney...needs some
updates on the admin info re AD and list e-mail) at:

http://www.scguild.com/agentx/

and the WG's IETF charter page at:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/agentx-charter.html

(Fortuitously, you will see that we are not that
far off our current charter milestones at this
point! :-)

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------