Subject: <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt> with change bars (RE-POST)

From: "Heintz, Lauren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:33:20 -0600

Please disregard my previous postings regarding
<draft-ietf-agentx-mib-04.txt>.
                       ^^

The correct name is: <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt>
                                            ^^

I also had to update the first section boilerplate (hey, I'm new to this).

Once I receive some comments as to the general worthiness of the below
document, I shall re-post as an internet draft (no sense being rejected
twice in same day!).

Lauren

------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNET-DRAFT                                                  S. Gudur
                                                  Independent Consultant
                                                               L. Heintz
                                                      BMC Software, Inc.
                                                         8 February 1999

                   Definitions of Managed Objects for
                         Extensible SNMP Agents
                     <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt>                      |

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
   Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
   the Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects managing
   SNMP agents that use the Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol.

   This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is both compliant
   to the SNMPv2 SMI, and semantically identical to the peer SNMPv1
   definitions.

   This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 1]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

Table of Contents

   1. The SNMP Management Framework ...............................    3
   2. Introduction ................................................    3
   3. AgentX MIB Overview .........................................    4
   4. Managed Object Definitions for AgentX .......................    6
   5. Intellectual Property .......................................   18
   6. Acknowledgements ............................................   18
   7. Security Considerations .....................................   19
   8. References ..................................................   20
   9. Editors' Addresses ..........................................   22
   10. Full Copyright Statement ...................................   22

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 2]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

1.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Network Management Framework presently consists of five
   major components:

      -  An overall architecture, described in RFC 2271 [1]

      -  Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
         purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
         Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
         RFC 1155 [2], RFC 1212 [3] and RFC 1215 [4]. The second
         version, called SMIv2, is described in RFC 1902 [5], RFC 1903
         [6] and RFC 1904 [7].

      -  Message protocols for transferring management information. The
         first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
         described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second version of the SNMP message
         protocol, which is not an Internet standards track protocol, is
         called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [9] and RFC 1906 [10].
         The third version of the message protocol is called SNMPv3 and
         described in RFC 1906 [10], RFC 2272 [11] and RFC 2274 [12].

      -  Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
         first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
         described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second set of protocol operations
         and associated PDU formats is described in RFC 1905 [13].

      -  A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2273 [14]
         and the view-based access control mechanism described in RFC
         2275 [15].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no
   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 3]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

2.  Introduction

   The SNMP Agent Extensibility Protocol (AgentX) is a protocol used  to
   distribute the implementation of an SNMP agent amongst a single "mas-
   ter agent" and multiple "subagents". See [16] for details  about  the
   AgentX protocol.

   The goals of the AgentX MIB are:

      -  List the set of subagents that currently have logical sessions
         open with the master agent.

      -  Identify each subagent's type, vendor, transport address,
         AgentX protocol version, and other characteristics.

      -  Identify the set of MIB objects each subagent implements, the
         context in which the objects are registered, and the priority
         of the registration.

      -  Determine  protocol  operational parameters such as the timeout
         interval for responses from a  subagent  and  the  priority  at
         which a subagent registers a particular MIB region.

      -  Allow (but do not require) managers to be able to modify AgentX
         protocol operational parameters and to explicitly close
         subagent sessions with the master agent.

3.  AgentX MIB Overview

   This MIB is organized into four groups.  The agentxGeneral group
   provides information describing the master agent's Agentx support,
   including the protocol version supported.  The agentxConnection group
   provides information describing the current set of connections
   capable of carrying Agentx sessions.  The agentxSession group
   provides information describing the current set of AgentX sessions.
   The agentxRegistration group provides information describing the
   current set of registrations.

   Three tables form the heart of this mib.  These are the connection,
   session, and registration tables.

   Entries in the registration table exist in a many-to-one relationship
   with entries in the session table.  This relationship is expressed
   through the two common indices, agentxSessionIndex and
   agentxConnIndex.  Entries in the registration table also exist in a
   many-to-one relationship with entries in the connection table.  This
   relationship is expressed through the common index, agentxConnIndex.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 4]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   Entries in the session table exist in a many-to-one relationship with
   entries in the connection table.  This relationship is expressed
   through the common index, agentxConnIndex.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 5]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

4.  Managed Object Definitions for AgentX

   AGENTX-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

   IMPORTS
      MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, Counter32, Unsigned32, mib-2         !
         FROM SNMPv2-SMI
      SnmpAdminString
         FROM SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB
      MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP
         FROM SNMPv2-CONF
      TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, TimeStamp, TruthValue, TDomain                 !
         FROM SNMPv2-TC;
   agentxMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "9902081200Z" -- February 8, 1999                     !
      ORGANIZATION "AgentX Working Group"
      CONTACT-INFO "WG-email:   [email-masked]
                    Subscribe:  [email-masked]
                    http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/agentx-charter.html

                    Chair:      Bob Natale
                                ACE*COMM Corporation
                    Email:      [email-masked]

                    Co-editor:  Smitha Gudur                             !
                                Independent Consultant                   !
                    Email:      [email-masked]                       !

                    Co-editor:  Lauren Heintz                            !
                    postal:     BMC Software, Inc.                       !
                                965 Stewart Drive                        !
                                Sunnyvale, CA 94086                      !
                                USA                                      !
                    EMail:      [email-masked]                    !
                    Phone:      +1 408-616-3169                          !
                   "
      DESCRIPTION
         "This is the MIB module for the SNMP Agent Extensibility
          Protocol (AgentX).  This MIB module will be implemented by
          the master agent.
         "
      ::= { mib-2  ? } -- To be assigned by IANA.                        !

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 6]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   -- Textual Conventions

   AgentxTAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION                                 !
       STATUS       current                                              !
       DESCRIPTION                                                       !
         "Denotes a transport service address.  This is identical to     !
          the TAddress textual convention (SNMPv2-SMI) except that       !
          zero-length values are permitted.                              !
         "                                                               !
       SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))

   -- Administrative assignments

   agentxObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxMIB 1 }
   agentxGeneral OBJECT IDENTIFIER      ::= { agentxObjects 1 }
   agentxConnection OBJECT IDENTIFIER   ::= { agentxObjects 2 }
   agentxSession OBJECT IDENTIFIER      ::= { agentxObjects 3 }
   agentxRegistration OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxObjects 4 }

   agentxDefaultTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS       "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS  read-write
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The default length of time, in seconds, that the master agent
          should allow to elapse after dispatching a message to a subagent
          before it regards the subagent as not responding.  This is a
          system-wide value that may be overridden by the values associated
          with a particular subagent (agentxSessionTimeout) or a particular
          registered MIB region (agentxRegTimeout).
         "
      DEFVAL      { 5 }
      ::= { agentxGeneral 1 }

   agentxMasterAgentXVer OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..255)
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The AgentX protocol version supported by this master agent.
          The current protocol version is 1.  Note that the master agent
          must also allow registration of earlier version subagents.
         "
      ::= { agentxGeneral 2 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 7]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   --      The Agentx Subagent Connection Group

   agentxConnTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxConnectionTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxConnection 1 }

   agentxConnectionTable OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxConnectionEntry
       MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The agentxConnectionTable tracks all current Agentx transport
          connections.  There may be zero, one, or more agentx sessions
          carried on a given Agentx connection.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnection 2 }

   agentxConnectionEntry OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      AgentxConnectionEntry
       MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
         "An agentxConnectionEntry contains information describing a
          single Agentx transport connection.  A connection may be
          used to support zero or more Agentx sessions.  An entry is     !
          created when a new transport connection is established,        !
          and is destroyed when the transport connection is terminated.  !
         "
       INDEX { agentxConnIndex }
       ::= { agentxConnectionTable 1 }

   AgentxConnectionEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
              agentxConnIndex            Unsigned32,
              agentxConnOpenTime         TimeStamp,
              agentxConnTransportDomain  TDomain,
              agentxConnTransportAddress AgentxTAddress }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 8]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   agentxConnIndex OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32
       MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "agentxConnIndex contains the value that uniquely identifies
          an open transport connection used by this master agent
          to provide AgentX service.  Values of this index should
          not be re-used.  The value assigned to a given transport
          connection is constant for the lifetime of that connection.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 1 }

   agentxConnOpenTime OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TimeStamp
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when this connection was established
          and, therefore, its value when this entry was added to the table.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 2 }

   agentxConnTransportDomain OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TDomain
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The transport protocol in use for this connection to the
          subagent.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 3 }

   agentxConnTransportAddress OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       AgentxTAddress                                       !
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The transport address of the remote (subagent) end of this
          connection to the master agent.  This object may be zero-length!
          for unix-domain sockets (and possibly other types of transport !
          addresses) since the subagent need not bind a filename to its  !
          local socket.                                                  !
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 4 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                  [Page 9]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   -- The AgentX Subagent Session Group

   agentxSessionTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxSessionTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxSession 1 }

   agentxSessionTable OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxSessionEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A table of AgentX subagent sessions currently in effect.
         "
      ::= { agentxSession 2 }                                            !

   agentxSessionEntry OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      AgentxSessionEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "Information about a single open session between the AgentX
          master agent and a subagent is contained in this entry.  An
          entry is created when a new session is successfully established!
          and is destroyed either when the parent transport connection   !
          has terminated or when the session is closed.                  !
         "
      INDEX       { agentxConnIndex, agentxSessionIndex }
      ::= { agentxSessionTable 1 }

   AgentxSessionEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
      agentxSessionIndex         Unsigned32,
      agentxSessionObjectID      OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
      agentxSessionDescr         SnmpAdminString,
      agentxSessionAdminStatus   INTEGER,
      agentxSessionOpenTime      TimeStamp,
      agentxSessionAgentXVer     INTEGER,
      agentxSessionTimeout       INTEGER
   }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 10]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   agentxSessionIndex OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A unique index for the subagent session.  It is the same as
          h.sessionID defined in the agentx header.  Note that if
          a subagent's session with the master agent is closed for
          any reason its index should not be re-used, therefore,
          the values of agentxSessionIndex may be discontiguous and
          will generally not be the same for the same subagent
          across multiple sessions.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 1 }

   agentxSessionObjectID OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "This is taken from the o.id field of the agentx-Open-PDU.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 2 }

   agentxSessionDescr OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A textual description of the subagent.  This is analogous to
          sysDescr defined in MIB-2 [2] and is taken from the o.descr
          field of the agentx-Open-PDU.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 3 }

   agentxSessionAdminStatus OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                     up(1),
                     down(2)
                  }
      MAX-ACCESS  read-write
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The administrative (desired) status of the subagent.  Setting
          the value to 'down(2)' closes the subagent session (with c.reason
          set to 'reasonByManager').
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 4 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 11]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   agentxSessionOpenTime OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when this session was opened and,
          therefore, its value when this entry was added to the table.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 5 }

   agentxSessionAgentXVer OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..255)
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The version of the AgentX protocol supported by the
          subagent.  This will be less than or equal to the value of
          agentxMasterAgentXVer.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 6 }

   agentxSessionTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX     INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS      "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS read-only
      STATUS     current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The length of time, in seconds, that a master agent should
          allow to elapse after dispatching a message to this subagent
          before it regards the subagent as not responding.  This value
          is taken from the o.timeout field of the agentx-Open-PDU.

          This is a subagent-specific value that may be overridden by
          values associated with specific registered MIB regions (see
          agentxRegTimeout).  The default value of zero indicates that the
          master agent's default timeout value should be used (see
          agentxDefaultTimeout).
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 7 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 12]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   -- The AgentX Registration Group

   agentxRegisterDuplicate OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Counter32
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The number of agentx-Response-PDU messages sent by this master
          agent where the res.error field was set to
'duplicateRegistration'.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistration 1 }

   agentxRegistrationTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxRegistrationTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistration 2 }

   agentxRegistrationTable OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxRegistrationEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A table of registered regions.                                 !
         "                                                               !
      ::= { agentxRegistration 3 }

   agentxRegistrationEntry OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      AgentxRegistrationEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "Contains information for a single registered region.  An       !
          entry is created when a subagent successfully registers a      !
          region and is destroyed for any of three reasons: this region  !
          is unregistered by the subagent, the parent session is closed, !
          or the parent connection is closed.                            !
         "                                                               !
      INDEX       { agentxConnIndex, agentxSessionIndex, agentxRegIndex }
      ::= { agentxRegistrationTable 1 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 13]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   AgentxRegistrationEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
      agentxRegIndex           Unsigned32,
      agentxRegContext         OCTET STRING,
      agentxRegStart           OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
      agentxRegRangeSubId      Unsigned32,                               !
      agentxRegUpperBound      Unsigned32,                               !
      agentxRegPriority        Unsigned32,
      agentxRegTimeout         INTEGER,
      agentxRegInstance        TruthValue
   }

   agentxRegIndex OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "agentxRegIndex uniquely identifies a registration entry.
          This value is constant for the lifetime of an entry.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 1 }

   agentxRegContext OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OCTET STRING
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The context in which the subagent supports the objects in this
          region.  A zero-length context indicates the default context.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 2 }

   agentxRegStart OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The starting OBJECT IDENTIFIER of this registration entry.  The
          subagent identified by agentxSessionIndex implements objects
          starting at this value (inclusive).  Note that this value could
          identify an object type, an object instance, or a partial object
          instance.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 3 }

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 14]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   agentxRegRangeSubId OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32                                             !
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "agentxRegRangeSubId is used to specify the range.  This is
          taken from r.region_subid in the registration PDU.  If the value
          of this object is zero, no range is specified.  If it is non-zero,
          it identifies the "nth" sub-identifier in r.region for which
          this entry's agentxRegUpperBound value is substituted in the
          OID for purposes of defining the region's upper bound.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 4 }

   agentxRegUpperBound OBJECT-TYPE                                       !
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32                                             !
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only                                              !
      STATUS      current                                                !
      DESCRIPTION                                                        !
        "agentxRegUpperBound represents the upper-bound sub-identifier in!
         a registration.  This is taken from the r.upper_bound in the    !
         registration PDU.  If agentxRegRangeSubid (r.region_subid) is   !
         zero, this value is also zero and is not used to define an upper!
         bound for this registration.                                    !
        "                                                                !
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 5 }                                  !

   agentxRegPriority OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The subagent's priority when exporting this OID range.
          Lower values have higher priority.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 6 }

   agentxRegTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS       "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 15]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

      DESCRIPTION
         "The timeout value, in seconds, for subagent responses to
          requests associated with this OID range.  A value of zero
          indicates the default value (indicated by agentxSessionTimeout
          or agentxDefaultTimeout) is to be used.  This value is taken
          from the r.timeout field of the agentx-Register-PDU.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 7 }

   agentxRegInstance OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TruthValue
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of agentxRegInstance is `true' for
          registrations for which the INSTANCE_REGISTRATION
          was set, and is `false' for all other registrations.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 8 }

   -- Conformance Statements for AgentX

   agentxConformance     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxMIB 2 }
   agentxMIBGroups       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxConformance 1 }
   agentxMIBCompliances  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxConformance 2 }

   -- Compliance Statements for AgentX

   agentxMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The compliance statement for SNMP entities that implement the
          AgentX protocol.  Note that a compliant agent can implement all
          objects in this MIB module as read-only.
         "
      MODULE -- this module
         MANDATORY-GROUPS  { agentxMIBGroup }

         OBJECT agentxDefaultTimeout
            MIN-ACCESS read-only
            DESCRIPTION
               "Write access is not required.
               "

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 16]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

         OBJECT agentxSessionAdminStatus
            MIN-ACCESS read-only
            DESCRIPTION
               "Write access is not required.
               "
      ::= { agentxMIBCompliances 1 }

   agentxMIBGroup OBJECT-GROUP
      OBJECTS {
         agentxDefaultTimeout,
         agentxMasterAgentXVer,
         agentxConnTableLastChange,                                      !
         agentxConnOpenTime,
         agentxConnTransportDomain,
         agentxConnTransportAddress,
         agentxSessionTableLastChange,
         agentxSessionTimeout,
         agentxSessionObjectID,
         agentxSessionDescr,
         agentxSessionAdminStatus,
         agentxSessionOpenTime,
         agentxSessionAgentXVer,
         agentxRegisterDuplicate,
         agentxRegistrationTableLastChange,
         agentxRegContext,
         agentxRegStart,
         agentxRegRangeSubId,
         agentxRegUpperBound,
         agentxRegPriority,
         agentxRegTimeout,
         agentxRegInstance
      }
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "All accessible objects in the AgentX MIB.
         "
      ::= { agentxMIBGroups 1 }

   END

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 17]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

5.  Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

6.  Acknowledgements

   This document is the result of the efforts of the IETF AgentX Working
   Group (WG).

   This MIB is an evolution of the Subagent MIB by Bert Wijnen
   ([email-masked]) which in turn was derived from the SMUX-MIB by
   Marshall Rose [17].

   Thanks are in order to the following AgentX WG members:

       Mike Daniele (Compaq Computer Corporation)
       Dale Francisco (Cisco Systems)
       Bob Natale (ACE*COMM Corporation)
       Randy Presuhn (BMC Software, Inc.)
       Shawn Routhier (Epilogue)
       Mike Thatcher (Independent Consultant)

   Special acknowledgement is made to:

       Maria Greene (Xedia)

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 18]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   Special acknowledgement is also made to the following individuals
   for participating in the 1998 Agentx testing summit (bakeoff) held
   in Sunnyvale, California:

       Mike Daniele (Compaq Computer Corporation)
       Jeff Case (SNMP Research, Inc.)
       Mark Ellison (Independent Consultant)
       Lauren Heintz (BMC Software, Inc.)
       Verne Hyde (Independent Consultant)
       Bob Natale (ACE*COMM Corporation)
       Shawn Routhier (Epilogue)
       Mike Thatcher (Independent Consultant)
       Bert Wijnen (IBM T. J. Watson Research Center)

7.  Security Considerations

   In most cases, MIBs are not themselves security risks; if SNMP
   security is operating as intended, the use of a MIB to view
   information about a system, or to change some parameter at the
   system, is a tool, not a threat.

   None of the read-only objects in this MIB reports a password, user
   data, or anything else that is particularly sensitive.  If access to
   these objects is not limited by an appropriate access control policy,
   these objects can provide an attacker with information about a
   system's configuration and the services that that system is
   providing.  Some enterprises view their network and system
   configurations themselves, as well as information about usage and
   performance, as corporate assets; such enterprises may wish to
   restrict SNMP access to most of the objects in the MIB.

   This MIB contains two read-write objects: agentxDefaultTimeout and
   agentxSessionAdminStatus.  Setting agentxDefaultTimeout to an
   inappropriately small value can prevent new subagent sessions from
   being usable.  Setting agentxSessionAdminStatus to an inappropriate
   value can effectively prevent access to management information, or
   provide access to inappropriate information.  Since changes to either
   of these objects can adversely impact the manageability of a system,
   write access to these objects should be subject to an appropriate
   access control policy.  Such a policy may be realized in an
   implementation by limiting support for these objects to read-only
   access.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 19]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

8.  References

   [1] Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
      Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2271, Cabletron
      Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
      January 1998

   [2] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of
      Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", RFC 1155,
      Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems, May 1990

   [3] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", RFC 1212,
      Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems, March 1991

   [4] M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the SNMP",
      RFC 1215, Performance Systems International, March 1991

   [5] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure
      of Management Information for Version 2 of the Simple Network
      Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1902, SNMP Research,Inc., Cisco
      Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International Network
      Services, January 1996.

   [6] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S.  Waldbusser,  "Textual
      Conventions  for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Proto-
      col (SNMPv2)", RFC 1903, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc.,
      Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International Network Services, Jan-
      uary 1996.

   [7] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
      "Conformance Statements for Version 2 of the Simple Network
      Management Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1904, SNMP Research, Inc.,
      Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International
      Network Services, January 1996.

   [8] Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
      Network Management Protocol", RFC 1157, SNMP Research, Performance
      Systems International, Performance Systems International, MIT
      Laboratory for Computer Science, May 1990.

   [9] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
      "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, SNMP Research,
      Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.,
      International Network Services, January 1996.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 20]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

   [10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S.  Waldbusser,  "Trans-
      port  Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Pro-
      tocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, SNMP  Research,  Inc.,  Cisco  Systems,
      Inc.,  Dover  Beach  Consulting,  Inc., International Network Ser-
      vices, January 1996.

   [11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
      Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
      Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2272, SNMP Research, Inc., Cabletron
      Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
      January 1998.

   [12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM)
      for version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)",
      RFC 2274, IBM T. J. Watson Research, January 1998.

   [13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
      Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc.,
      Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International Network Services,
      January 1996.

   [14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC
      2273, SNMP Research, Inc., Secure Computing Corporation, Cisco
      Systems, January 1998

   [15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access
      Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMP)", RFC 2275, IBM T. J. Watson Research, BMC Software, Inc.,
      Cisco Systems, Inc., January 1998

   [16] Daniele, M., Wijnen, B., and D. Francisco, "Agent Extensibility
      (AgentX) Protocol, Version 1", draft-ietf-agentx-ext-pro-02.txt,
      Digital Equipment Corporation, T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM
      Corp., Cisco Systems, November, 1996.

   [17] Rose, M., "SNMP MUX Protocol and MIB", RFC1227, Performance
      Systems International, May 1991.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 21]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                8 February 1999

9.  Editors' Addresses

   Smitha Gudur
   Independent Consultant
   EMail:      [email-masked]

   Lauren Heintz
   BMC Software, Inc
   965 Stewart Drive
   Sunnyvale, CA 94086
   USA
   Phone:      +1 408-616-3169
   Fax:        +1 408-616-3101
   EMail:      [email-masked]

10.  Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

AgentX Working Group       Expires August 1999                 [Page 22]

---

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:26:55 -0500

Hi, Lauren

Here is some feedback draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt.  These notes
reflect a contribution from both myself and from Mike Daniele.

Regards,

Mark

=================================================================

general conmments:

- check capitalization on "AgentX".
 The draft contains "Agentx", "AgentX", and "agentx".

p.7  agentxDefaultTimeout

 What are the semantics associated with a value of zero?
 Would it be "don't timeout"?  Or would this attribute
 be better defined with a range of 1..255?

p.9  agentxConnTransportDomain

 Where are possible values listed?  A reference to an
 RFC or Internet Draft might be good.

p.11 agentxSessionIndex

 I'd suggest "...its index should not be re-used..." be
 replaced with "...its index shall not be re-used...".

 Also, I have some difficulty understanding the last
 part of the last sentence, "...the values of
 agentxSessionIndex my be discontiguous and will not
 be the same for the same subagenet across multiple
 sessions."  Possibly the use of the word `session'
 is not the AgentX sense of session (something which
 is assigned an h.sessionID).  If that is what is
 going on here, probably change the last word in the
 sentence, from `sessions' to `invocations' or
 `process invocations' or something similar.

p.11 agentxSessionObjectID

 Please add: "This attribute will report a
 value "0.0" for subagents not supporting the
 notion of an objectID.

p.11 agentxSessionDescr

 Please add: "This attribute will report a value
 a value of the zero-length string for subagents
 not supporting the notion of a session description.

p.12 agentxSessionAgentXVer

 Consider change from: "This will be less..."
 to: "This must be less..."

p.13 agentxRegisterDuplicate

 This attribute belongs in the AgentXRegistrationEntry,
 and should be incremented whenever  a received registration
 is determined to be a `duplicate' of this region.
 Putting this attribute in the registration table would
 provide better information about registration "hot spots".

p.15 agentxRegPriority

 I think the WG had agreed upon using a default value for
 this attribute- but forget if the actual value was 127
 or 128...please state the default value for this attribute.

p.16 Conformance statements

 These look good.

p.18 Security Considerations

 This section might have to be revamped to the SNMPv3 template,
 as this is what IESG seems to want these days.