Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Seedorf, E. Burger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-04-21

Peer-to-peer applications, such as file sharing, real-time
communication, and live media streaming, use a significant amount of
Internet resources.  Such applications often transfer large amounts
of data in direct peer-to-peer connections.  However, they usually
have little knowledge of the underlying network topology.  As a
result, they may choose their peers based on measurements and
statistics that, in many situations, may lead to suboptimal choices.
This document describes problems related to optimizing traffic
generated by peer-to-peer applications and associated issues such
optimizations raise in the use of network-layer information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.