Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO client protocol and Autonomous System Numbers

From: Tao Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:22:56 +0800

Hi,

  As Reinaldo said, different aggregation methods could be used, so there is
no need to mandate the usage of aggregation IDs or conceal them from the
ALTO client. But maybe someone would be kind enough to provide a specific
use case of ASN in ALTO.

   Regards
——Tao Ma
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Mobile life and new
media lab.

> Hello,
>
> I think what you are asking is this:
>
> If the ALTO protocol uses any type of indirect aggregation (ASNs, PID, etc) as opposed to plain prefixes, does the ALTO Server needs to expand them? I do no think this issue is specific to ASNs.
>
> As long as you have the proper interfaces /query mechanism in place, it seems to me you are free to use an aggregation method that suits your deployment.  The ALTO Protocol draft and the presentation at the last IETF provided examples on PIDs usage and resolution. But that could be ASNs or any other aggregation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Reinaldo
>
>
> On 4/21/09 1:16 AM, "Sebastian Kiesel" <sebastian.kiesel at nw.neclab.eu> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't it be better to mandate that the second line has to be expanded
> to the corresponding cidr lines at the ALTO server side, to ensure that
> the ALTO client does not have to deal with AS numbers?
>
>

---

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:38:01 -0400

> maybe someone would be kind enough to provide a specific use case of
ASN in ALTO

See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-03,
especially section 5.2. The "22 iTracker node identifiers" are
essentially the 22 AS's in the Comcast network.

-- Rich

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Tao Ma
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO client protocol and Autonomous System Numbers

Hi,

  As Reinaldo said, different aggregation methods could be used, so
there is no need to mandate the usage of aggregation IDs or conceal them
from the ALTO client. But maybe someone would be kind enough to provide
a specific use case of ASN in ALTO.

   Regards

--Tao Ma

> If the ALTO protocol uses any type of indirect aggregation (ASNs, PID,
etc) as opposed to plain prefixes, does the ALTO Server needs to expand
them? I do no think this issue is specific to ASNs.

> As long as you have the proper interfaces /query mechanism in place,
it seems to me you are free to use an aggregation method that suits your
deployment.  The ALTO Protocol draft and the presentation at the last
IETF provided examples on PIDs usage and resolution. But that could be
ASNs or any other aggregation.

---

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:18:31 +0200

Richard,

> essentially the 22 AS's in the Comcast network.

Does "... and resulted in a 1,461 line configuration file" reflect the
number of IP prefixes associated with these 22 node identifiers / AS's?

thanks,
Sebastian

-- 
Sebastian Kiesel            mailto:[email-masked]
Network Research Division   tel:+49-6221-4342-232   fax:+49-6221-4342-155
NEC Laboratories Europe     Kurfuerstenanlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
--
NEC Europe Limited          Registered in England 2832014
Registered Office           NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL

---

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:10:52 -0400

Sort of. The configuration file includes the definition of the PID
(partition ID) for each AS, the IP prefixes associated with each PID /
AS, and the costs between pairs of PIDs / ASs.

A large chunk of the configuration file is the cost matrix between pairs
of PIDs.

But yes, the Comcast IP prefixes were captured in the configuration
file.

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Kiesel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:19 AM
To: Woundy, Richard
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO client protocol and Autonomous System Numbers

Richard,

thanks,
Sebastian

-- 
Sebastian Kiesel            mailto:[email-masked]
Network Research Division   tel:+49-6221-4342-232
fax:+49-6221-4342-155
NEC Laboratories Europe     Kurfuerstenanlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg,
Germany
--
NEC Europe Limited          Registered in England 2832014
Registered Office           NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL