Subject: [alto] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-alto-protocol-03

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 19:56:07 -0500

FYI, we have submitted an updated copy of the ALTO Protocol draft. In
this version, we have adjusted IP addresses used in examples to be
proper TEST-NET addresses. We have also adjusted the notation used to
specify structure of protocol messages (i.e., JSON objects) to use a
more C-like struct syntax that should be both more concise and
precise.

Of course, feedback and comments are welcome. Please also see some
open issues for which we would particularly like feedback:
  http://tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/trac/report/1

Thanks!
Rich

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-alto-protocol-03
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-alto-protocol-03.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Richard Alimi and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-alto-protocol
Revision:        03
Title:           ALTO Protocol
Creation_date:   2010-03-08
WG ID:           alto
Number_of_pages: 52

Abstract:
Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

The IETF Secretariat.