Subject: [alto] ALTO privacy again

From: songhaibin 64081 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:46:42 +0800

Hi,

Just want to get some feedback from the network operators, if the network map which discloses the IP prefixes under each PID defined in the ALTO protocol base draft okay with them, or if they are willing to avoid this.

Thanks,
Haibin

---

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:08:14 -0400

Before I answer, let me distinguish 'privacy' from 'confidentiality'. I
would lump issues concerning disclosure of subscriber information under
'privacy', and issues concerning disclosure of network topology etc
under 'confidentiality'.

> if the network map which discloses the IP prefixes under each PID
defined in the ALTO protocol base draft okay with them

The sensitivity of the information may depend on the size and scope of
the PID.

If the PID encompasses all of the ISP's prefixes, that information may
be available from sources other than ALTO. For example, someone may use
'whois' information (e.g. https://ws.arin.net/whois) or a BGP looking
glass (e.g. http://www.bgp4.as/looking-glasses or
http://www.ris.ripe.net/cgi-bin/lg/index.cgi) to obtain ISP prefix
information.

If the PID is limited to prefixes in a particular metropolitan area,
that information might not be easily gleaned from public data sources
and might be considered confidential by the ISP.

If the PID represents prefixes associated with customers having a
particular service tier, then there may or may not be privacy
implications about revealing this information.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
songhaibin 64081
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [alto] ALTO privacy again

Hi,

Just want to get some feedback from the network operators, if the
network map which discloses the IP prefixes under each PID defined in
the ALTO protocol base draft okay with them, or if they are willing to
avoid this.

Thanks,
Haibin
 
_______________________________________________
alto mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: songhaibin 64081 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:41:31 +0800

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I changed the title to "network topology confidentiality" according to you explanation. See inline.

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>

> would lump issues concerning disclosure of subscriber information 
> under'privacy', and issues concerning disclosure of network 
> topology etc
> under 'confidentiality'.
> 

Thank you again for the detailed explanation.

> http://www.ris.ripe.net/cgi-bin/lg/index.cgi) to obtain ISP prefix

Right. I agree. This kind of high level information can be easily got from these sources.

> and might be considered confidential by the ISP.

This is really what I concern about. Some ISPs have large network, which covers at least several metropolitan areas. The intro-domain traffic optimizatio is needed. We actually need that level of PIDs. But disclosure of the IP prefixes under these PIDs might be a concern then.

> implications about revealing this information.

It really helps :)

BR,
Haibin