Subject: [alto] #9: Semantics and handling for IPv4 and IPv6

From: "alto issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:52:03 -0000

#9: Semantics and handling for IPv4 and IPv6
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  richard.alimi@…         |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                   |   Milestone:     
Component:  protocol                |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                       |    Keywords:     
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 The current protocol draft (draft-ietf-protocol-02) deals only with IPv4.
 Adjustments need to be made to include at least IPv6 host group
 descriptors and along with IPv6 addresses in cost map queries/responses.

 Some initial TODO items related to IPv6 are:

 (1) Need notation for distinguishing IPv4 and IPv6 identifiers (perhaps
 extensible to others types of identifiers in the future?)

 (2) Semantics for ALTO information containing both IPv4 and IPv6
 information. One simple possibility is to forbid mixing identifiers of
 different types (e.g., ALTO client requests IPv4 map or IPv6 map, but
 never both).

 (3) Handling for dual-stack hosts. In particular, Steven Wright raised a
 number of good questions in this post: http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/alto/current/msg00428.html.   His question regarding
 indicating preference between IPv4/IPv6 relates to (2) above.

 Please add other discussion items related to IPv4/IPv6 here.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/trac/ticket/9>
alto <http://tools.ietf.org/alto/>