Subject: [alto] just wondering if ISPs are willing to reveal its network information for ALTO service

From: JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:41:39 +0800

Dear all,

I am new here. I and my colleagues are designing P2P Streaming Service as
software vendors do. I think ALTO service is very helpful for enhancing P2P
service performance.
>From my point of view, I think the most important component will be ALTO
Server collecting network and traffic information provided by network
operators (say ISP). But I am just wondering if ISPs are willing to reveal
its network information. Do you think the probability of ISP revealing such
information is high or low? Without ALTO Server collecting network and
traffic information from ISP, our P2P streaming service provider can do
nothing on ALTO, I think. 
Thanks a lot.

BR,
Jeffrey

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

---

From: Tao Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:29:17 +0800

Hi, Jeffrey

   The ALTO service tries to make P2P applications ISP-friendly. It has been
becoming a common sense that ISP and P2P application providers cooperate to
achieve the win-win situation. Therefore, ISPs have its own benefit
considerations to reveal its information to ALTO services. Of course, the
confidentiality and privacy should be guaranteed.

By the way, ALTO service may discover the information from some sources
other than ISPs. For example, ALTO server can be deployed by the third party
provider which has some contracts with ISPs to get the information.

For P2P service providers, ALTO service is like an oracle that you only
needs to query. That’s my understanding:)

Tao Ma

Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Mobile lIfe and New
mEdia(MINE) Lab

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[alto] just wondering if ISPs are willing to reveal its network information
for ALTO service

||Dear all,

Thanks a lot.

BR,
Jeffrey