Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-protocol-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:15:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : Richard Alimi
                          Reinaldo Penno
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-09.txt
	Pages           : 75
	Date            : 2011-06-27

   Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
   of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
   of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
   servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
   missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
   or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
   In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
   optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

   The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
   resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
   patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
   This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
   While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
   the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
   service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
   have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
   are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-09.txt

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:38:05 -0700

Hi All,

Thank you all for the feedback and thorough reading of the draft
during the past few weeks. This update should address the comments
from the mailing list since -08 was posted on May 20. If it does not,
I'm sure you will let us know :)

The diffs provide a fairly succinct summary of the changes:
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-08.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-09.txt

Note that the draft intentionally does not include the additional
suggested protocol changes/extensions (e.g., multiple cost types)
since we would like to keep the draft churn minimal before an interop
event.

Thanks,
Rich

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>