Subject: [alto] FW: New Version Notification for draft-bernstein-alto-large-bandwidth-cases-00.txt

From: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:49:22 +0000

Hi,

We have submitted a new I-D:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernstein-alto-large-bandwidth-cases-00.txt

This draft addresses use cases/applicability of the ALTO concept that would allow network query, high bandwidth reservation to request network resources from application stratum in data center/cloud networking environments. 

We'd appreciate your input to this draft. 

Regards,
Greg & Young

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:23 PM
To: Leeyoung
Cc: [email-masked]; Leeyoung
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-bernstein-alto-large-bandwidth-cases-00.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-bernstein-alto-large-bandwidth-cases-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Young Lee and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-bernstein-alto-large-bandwidth-cases
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Use Cases for High Bandwidth Query and Control of Core Networks
Creation date:	 2011-06-28
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 15

Abstract:
   This draft describes two generic use-cases that illustrate
   application layer traffic optimization concepts applied to high
   bandwidth core networks. For the purposes here high bandwidth will
   mean bandwidth that is significant with respect to the capacity of a
   wavelength in a wavelength division multiplexed optical transport
   system, e.g., 10-40Gbps or more. For each of these generic use cases,
   we present a generic optimization problem, look at the type of
   information needed (query interface) to perform the optimization,
   investigate a reservation interface to request network resources, and
   also consider enhanced availability and recovery scenarios.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:54:07 -0700

Hi ALTO folks, a bit of background on this draft.  I'm a network 
plumber, i.e., someone that has been dealing with optical pipes for the 
last 12 years or so. Initially, we applied GMPLS techniques to SONET/SDH 
networks and more recently wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) networks.

The application of GMPLS like techniques to SONET/SDH has seen wide 
deployment by carriers in core networks world wide. GMPLS and PCE are 
great control techniques within a network (sometimes segmented by 
particular network layers), but do not make a good interface to the 
"application layer". Some carriers offer "web portals" to allow optical 
VPN customers to change the optical connectivity (bandwidth allocations) 
amongst their sites. However such an interface would be both optical 
transport layer and carrier specific.

The current ALTO protocol work contains many concepts and mechanisms 
that would be useful for dealing with applications layer entities that 
need to find out about large bandwidth availability to various locations 
and the costs. The draft illustrates some use cases and additional 
information and interfaces for "large bandwidth" users.

Best Regards

Greg B.

On 6/29/2011 10:49 AM, Leeyoung wrote:
> Greg&  Young
> --snip--

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237