Subject: [alto] server-discovery-07: IPR and 2nd WGLC

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:57:51 -0600

As co-chair ...

Folks: An IPR notice [1] has been filed against
draft-ietf-alto-server-discovery-07.

Enrico and I would like to open up the draft for a second WGLC to allow
the WG to raise any issues with respect to this IPR.

The second WGLC will run from Wed, Jan 30 2013 to Wed, February 13,
2013.

If you have any concerns with respect to the IPR, please raise them on
the list.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg01664.html

Thank you,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:16:04 +0200

I am wondering about this IPR given that draft-ietf-alto-server-discovery copies the solution from work done in another working group (namely GEOPRIV). 
Wouldn't the work in the GEOPRIV group then also be covered by that IPR (since it is generic DHCP/DNS server discovery approach)?

On Jan 30, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: "Reinaldo Penno (repenno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 00:16:21 +0000

Where can I find more details about the claim?

The IPR does not mention much and my search turned this out:

http://info.sipcc.net/Public/Patent.aspx?id=201101211559468793297094432&ind
ex=99421

which unfortunately I can not read..

On 1/30/13 9:16 AM, "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I am wondering about this IPR given that draft-ietf-alto-server-discovery
>copies the solution from work done in another working group (namely
>GEOPRIV). 
>Wouldn't the work in the GEOPRIV group then also be covered by that IPR
>(since it is generic DHCP/DNS server discovery approach)?
>

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:54:01 +0100

[writing not as your Area Director, but as random WG member]

Hi all,

> [1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg01664.html

Thanks for disclosing the IPR.

The IPR cited in the IPR disclosure comes a bit late in the process, 
i.e., after the WGLC,  but happily before the server discover is leaving 
the WG for the next steps.

However, I have issues in reading the disclosed IPR as my skills of the 
Chinese language is unfortunately non-existing. The English translation 
of the abstracts doesn't help to come even close to a clue what the IPR 
is about, other than something around P2P.

In order to judge whether the IPR is a threat to the draft or if the IPR 
is acceptable, it would be really nice if either the IPR holding company 
could provide an translation or introduction to the patent or if anybody 
else on the list could provide some insight.

Right now, I do have an issue in judging the relationship between the 
disclosed IPR, the server discovery draft(s) and also related work in, 
for instance, GEOPRIV.

Thanks in advance,

   Martin

-- 
[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 283