Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO implementation interoperability

From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 13:31:57 -0300

Hi all,

we at University of Campinas are developing an ALTO server
implementation (for IXP-related use cases) based on Neo4j graph DB and
Open Daylight for a subset of ALTO services and would like to know
about related open source mplementation work, both at the server side
but mostly interested in the client side for interop testing and
further use case developments.

Looking forward to hear more about the Prague IETF opportunities for
ALTO interop (Raphael, please add to your agenda).

Thx,
Christian

From: Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf at neclab.eu>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry at cs.yale.edu>, Hans Seidel <hseidel at benocs.com>
Cc: IETF ALTO <alto at ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:41:12 +0000
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>

________________________________

We have also put this topic on the chair slides for the session in
Dallas to get feedback from the room, but please also continue raising
your opinion on this here on the ML.

-          Jan

From: alto [mailto:alto-bounces at ietf.org] On Behalf Of Y. Richard Yang
Sent: Donnerstag, 19. März 2015 22:26
To: Hans Seidel
Cc: IETF ALTO
Subject: Re: [alto] ALTO implementation interoperability

Hi Hans,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Hans Seidel <hseidel at benocs.com> wrote:

It will be cool to have an interop for the summer IETF. For those who
are interested, some of us are working on having an open-source ALTO
server running in ODL. We are slightly behind schedule, but should be
able to catch up in Apr., after IETF. If there is anyone who is
interested in collaboration, you are more than welcome.

I also like the idea of an interop for the summer IETF in Prague.
Since I am rather new to the IETF community, I am not very familiar
with the procedures but if I can be of any help, let me know.

Wonderful! Some of us here will want to engage in the development of
an interop in Prague as well. It will be nice to coordinate and get
started soon, say after this IETF.

Thanks!

Richard

Hans

Richard

Cheers,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / vijay.gurbani at alcatel-lucent.com
Web: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ect.bell-2Dlabs.com_who_vkg_&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=IFXVSS1Ngo0C7z51Gunp5gTAVG7hdQAOfiXLLRkPLi4&s=RUjSP5rpFsp8V2Y0xuG9_3pFcAAsDEjzi2YQNNaMKfY&e=
  | Calendar:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_x3Ogq&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=IFXVSS1Ngo0C7z51Gunp5gTAVG7hdQAOfiXLLRkPLi4&s=wY56fXByx0Kd3boQqPHpBjX7uzem5fDJHZAW1FIv_Mc&e=
_______________________________________________
alto mailing list
alto at ietf.org
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_alto&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=IFXVSS1Ngo0C7z51Gunp5gTAVG7hdQAOfiXLLRkPLi4&s=JAiHH7palOiAkB3m6zdiENhShLMINWuIhPrijAeT0iQ&e=

-- 

BENOCS GmbH

Dipl.-Ing. Hans Seidel

Winterfeldtstr. 21

10781 Berlin

Germany

Phone: +49 - 30 / 577 0004-0

Email: hans.seidel at benocs.com

www.benocs.com

Board of Management:

  Michael Wolz, Dr.-Ing. Oliver Holschke, Dr.-Ing. Ingmar Poese

Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 19378

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 03:32:23 -0400

Dear Christian,

It is great to hear about your development. Regarding open source
implementation, some of us are developing an open source ALTO server in
OpenDayLight. We are slightly behind the schedule of the Lithium Release,
but are making good progress lately. The yang model can be found from the
ODL alto project git. It is great to hear about your interest in the client
side. We are developing a client in a science network setting (to work with
GridFTP). We will be happy to share, if interested.

Thanks!

Richard

On Monday, April 6, 2015, Christian Esteve Rothenberg <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> In-reply-to: <
> [email-masked]
> <javascript:;>>
> References: <[email-masked] <javascript:;>>
> <[email-masked] <javascript:;>>
> <[email-masked]
> <javascript:;>>
> <[email-masked] <javascript:;>>
> <[email-masked]
> <javascript:;>>
>
> From: alto [mailto:alto-bounces <javascript:;> at ietf.org] On Behalf Of
> Y. Richard Yang
> Web:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ect.bell-2Dlabs.com_who_vkg_&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=IFXVSS1Ngo0C7z51Gunp5gTAVG7hdQAOfiXLLRkPLi4&s=RUjSP5rpFsp8V2Y0xuG9_3pFcAAsDEjzi2YQNNaMKfY&e=
>   | Calendar:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_x3Ogq&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=IFXVSS1Ngo0C7z51Gunp5gTAVG7hdQAOfiXLLRkPLi4&s=wY56fXByx0Kd3boQqPHpBjX7uzem5fDJHZAW1FIv_Mc&e=
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_alto&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=pFLqyQtg4vFR5-McwdjqCJ0doRvLTUErodr00yFv9u0&s=Jq3I7-dHiQLbljBgm3jvauWr0a9lLJOojpXKqrpu6FY&e=
>

-- 
Richard

---

From: Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 07:14:35 -0400

Questions for those interested in an ALTO interop test Š.

1. RFC 7285 allows a server to present multiple Network Maps, but does not
require a server to support them. But it would simplify the tests if we
could assume all servers can be configured to present an IRD with more than
one Network Map. Otherwise we will need different test setups, and two
different classes of servers.

So would anyone object to requiring servers to present multiple Network
Maps?

2. Clients should be able to cope with an IRD with multiple Network Maps,
but the RFC does not require them to be able to use anything other than the
default network.One way to handle that is to define two sets of client
tests: one which uses the default network map (and requires the client to
use the cost maps for the default map, rather than a cost map for a
different network), and an optional set that uses a secondary network map.

3. The RFC allows IRD chaining ‹ a root IRD can reference secondary IRDs
with additional resources. Should we require servers to support that
feature?

- Wendy Roome

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 18:25:23 -0400

Wendy,

On Monday, April 6, 2015, Wendy Roome <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Questions for those interested in an ALTO interop test ….
>

I have no problem with this requirement.

> different network), and an optional set that uses a secondary network map.

This setting is also fine with me.

> 3. The RFC allows IRD chaining — a root IRD can reference secondary IRDs

Do you mean that the server root IRD must include at least an IRD resource?
I feel that this should be optional. If really required, I assume that the
server can post a second level IRD that points to a subset at the same
server, unless we want to test a case of using IRD chaining to
use different ALTO servers.

Richard

-- 
Richard