Subject: Re: [alto] On-line interop-93 test client

From: Hans Seidel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:15:18 +0200

Hi Wendy, Hi All

thanks for the client. It helped me a lot to improve our ALTO server.
One issue I could not solve is the following:

FAILED FCM def-nm-costs-rtg-num:invalid-cost-constraints
****    incorrect field 'cost-type/cost-mode' in error message
****    incorrect value 'numeric' in error message

Your client sends a FCM request with cost-mode 'numeric'. I checked the 
RFC and it seems to me that 'numeric' is not a valid cost mode. If I am 
not mistaken it should be either 'num' or 'numerical'.

At the interop in Prague, Ingmar and I mentioned that cost values of the 
cost map in the current interop draft are not very realistic and we 
faced some problems feeding them into our server since we use real 
network data.
I modified the current interop draft in such way that the cost map 
values are more realistic. To be as non-invasive as possible I left the 
network maps unmodified. Additionally, I added example network figures 
to the draft that
can be used (and are used by us) to generate the default and alternate maps.

We also updated our ALTO server accordingly: 
http://alto.benocs.berlin:8000/directory

Find attached the modified version of the interop draft.
Please have a look and send me some feedback.

Cheers
Hans

On 29.07.2015 18:49, Wendy Roome wrote:
> I now have a web-based client for the interop tests defined in
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-roome-alto-interop-ietf93/  :
>
>         http://www.wdroome.com/alto/interop-93-client.php
>
> Enter the public URI of your server, select the tests you want, and click
> TEST SERVER. Be patient; it runs all tests before reporting the results.
> It reports the results as a plain text file, to make it easier to save.
>
> The output first lists the regular tests that passed, one per line. Next
> come the failed tests: a one line summary followed by the specific errors.
> Then it gives the results of the error tests. After that comes a summary
> of all the resources in the IRD, including how many times each was used.
> Finally, if any tests failed, it gives the request sent, response
> expected, and the actual response received. Note that the latter is a
> re-formatted version of the raw bytes the server returned.
>
> It is not the most sophisticated web site ever written, but it seems to
> work.
>
>        - Wendy Roome
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:17:39 -0400

Hans,

Mea Culpa!  Yes, for that test, my test client accidentally sent an
invalid mode as well as an invalid constraint. I never noticed because my
server checks constraints before checking mode.

The test client should be fixed now.

Thanks for spotting that!

	- Wendy Roome

---

From: Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:33:39 -0400

Hans,

Thanks, I will look that over. I certainly agree that the original network
& cost maps were not realistic, and I would be happy to switch to
something else.

While I do, here is a question for the rest of you. Who is using my public
ALTO server and test client? Assuming we do switch to different maps,
instead of maintaining two versions, I would prefer to do a flag-day
cutover. Would anyone have a problem with that?  Assuming suitable
warning, of course.

	- Wendy Roome

---

From: ChenGuohai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 01:02:42 +0000

Hi Wendy and Hans,
Great to see so much progresses in ALTO interop.
BRG.Robert Chen

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:33:39 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [alto] On-line interop-93 test client
> 
> Hans,
>