Subject: [alto] Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-20.txt> (ALTO Incremental Updates Using Server-Sent Events (SSE)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 06:30:49 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document: - 'ALTO
Incremental Updates Using Server-Sent Events (SSE)'
  <draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-20.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-03-06. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) [RFC7285] protocol
   provides network related information, called network information
   resources, to client applications so that clients can make informed
   decisions in utilizing network resources.  For example, an ALTO
   server can provide network and cost maps so that an ALTO client can
   use the maps to determine the costs between network endpoints when
   choosing communicating endpoints.

   However, the ALTO protocol does not define a mechanism to allow an
   ALTO client to obtain updates to the information resources, other
   than by periodically re-fetching them.  Because some information
   resources (e.g., the aforementioned maps) may be large (potentially
   tens of megabytes), and because only parts of the information
   resources may change frequently (e.g., only some entries in a cost
   map), complete re-fetching can be inefficient.

   This document presents a mechanism to allow an ALTO server to push
   updates to ALTO clients, to achieve two benefits: (1) updates can be
   incremental, in that if only a small s ection of an information
   resource changes, the ALTO server can send just the changes; and (2)
   updates can be immediate, in that the ALTO server can send updates as
   soon as they are available.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.