Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:52:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Extension: Path Vector
        Authors         : Kai Gao
                          Young Lee
                          Nokia Bell Labs
                          Yang Richard Yang
                          Jingxuan Jensen Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-11.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2020-07-13

Abstract:
   This document is an extension to the base Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization protocol [RFC7285].  The current ALTO Cost Services only
   allow applications to obtain cost values on an end-to-end path
   defined by its source and destination.  The present extension
   provides abstracted information on particular network components or
   elements traversed by a path between its source and destination.
   Examples of such abstracted components are networks, data centers or
   links.  This is useful for applications whose performance is impacted
   by particular network components they traverse or by their
   properties.  Applications having the choice among several connection
   paths may use this information to select paths accordingly and
   improve their performance.  In particular, they may infer that
   several paths share common links and prevent traffic bottlenecks by
   avoiding such paths.  This document introduces a new cost type called
   Path Vector.  A Path Vector is an array of entities that each
   identifies an abstracted representation of a network part and that
   are called Abstract Network Element (ANE).  Each ANE is defined by a
   set of properties.  ANE properties are conveyed by an ALTO
   information resource called "Property Map", that can be packed
   together with the Path Vectors in a multipart response.  They can
   also be obtained via a separate ALTO request to a Property Map. An
   ALTO Property Map is an extension to the ALTO protocol, that is
   specified in another document entitled "Unified Properties for the
   ALTO Protocol" [I-D.ietf-alto-unified-props-new].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-11
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/