Subject: [alto] Seeking a new ALTO chair

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 09:43:48 -0700

Hello ALTO,

As you all know, we are approaching completion of the milestones for the
working group, and starting discussion of a new charter. Vijay and Jan will
step down when these milestones are complete, after years of diligent
service to the IETF and the working group. Thanks Vijay and Jan!

I would like there to be a third chair at IETF 109 as a transitional step,
to allow at least one of them to exit soon after the meeting. I believe it
is appropriate for at least one of the future chairs to come from the ALTO
community, and have no objection to both doing so.

While I don't expect the next chairs to meet of all of the requirements
below, an ideal candidate would:
- intend to serve at least 2 years in the position;
- plan to attend IETF meetings in person, whenever that starts happening
again;
- understand how to run a meeting and motivate volunteers from diverse
backgrounds;
- exercise good judgment about document progress, consensus, etc.;
- have basic understanding of the technology and use cases under
development;
- constructively manage conflict when it arises; and
- not expect to constantly recuse themselves due to authorship of most or
all of the documents under consideration.

The bureaucratic workflow management is really not hard, and I encourage
people to apply even if they don't know all of the buttons in datatracker,
etc.

Chairing is a way to serve the community and identify yourself as a leader
in a small piece of the future internet. I try hard to also make it fun and
not especially time consuming.

*If you're interested in being a chair, or have questions about the
position, please email me privately and we can arrange a chat. I'm sure
Vijay or Jan would also be happy to answer questions. I would hope to
identify a chair by early November.*

Thanks for your consideration!

Regards,
Martin Duke
Responsible Area Director