Subject: [alto] ALTO Weekly Meeting Info for Sep. 09, 2020

From: Jensen Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 16:11:41 -0400

Dear ALTOers,

Just a friendly reminder that we will continue our weekly meeting this
Wednesday (*Sep-09*) at *9:00 am - 10:00 am US ET*.

The draft agenda*:

   - Finalize the draft write-up for WG rechertering
   - Open discussion slots

Meeting bridge: https://yale.zoom.us/my/yryang

*If you have any other agenda items to be discussed, please feel free to
post.

Talk to you then.

Best regards,
Jensen

---

From: "Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 12:14:48 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to add the following topic, regarding WG documents to finalize
- ALTO Calendar RFC editor questions: answer to question N°6-C
- Unified property review status
These 2 topics would only take a couple of minutes but need to be addressed to finalize the WG documents.

Thanks,
Sabine

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Jensen Zhang
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 10:12 PM
To: IETF ALTO <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: ALTO Weekly Meeting Info for Sep. 09, 2020

Dear ALTOers,

Just a friendly reminder that we will continue our weekly meeting this Wednesday (Sep-09) at 9:00 am - 10:00 am US ET.

The draft agenda*:

  *   Finalize the draft write-up for WG rechertering
  *   Open discussion slots
Meeting bridge: https://yale.zoom.us/my/yryang

*If you have any other agenda items to be discussed, please feel free to post.

Talk to you then.

Best regards,
Jensen
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "alto-weekly-meeting" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/CAAbpuyq62458%2BOU-BA6irxPKnHPwQKTQ9mmogzNdd5qLZy0u_A%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/CAAbpuyq62458%2BOU-BA6irxPKnHPwQKTQ9mmogzNdd5qLZy0u_A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 19:37:59 -0400

Hi all,

On behalf of those attending the weekly meeting today, below is the draft
text for the ALTO transport discussions. Any comments or discussions are
highly welcome:

"Protocol extensions of ALTO to convey network information with additional
transport mechanisms. The current ALTO transport is based on HTTP/1.x
connections between ALTO servers and ALTO clients. On the other hand,
recently, extensions to HTTP/1.x such as HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 introduce
capabilities such as concurrent multiple streams in a single connection.
Such new transport capabilities can be integrated into ALTO to improve ALTO
capabilities such as ALTO incremental updates. The working group will
investigate the benefits and issues of using HTTP/2(3) as ALTO transport,
for both basic ALTO services and additional ALTO services such as ALTO
incremental updates.

Initial evaluations of ALTO in the cellular network context reveal that it
may be more natural to expose network information to applications directly
through datapath packets. Consider the current ALTO transport as an
out-band (OB), network information exposure to applications through
datapath packets is a form of in-band (IB) signaling. Given the importance
of cellular network use cases, the working group will investigate the
possibility of ALTO transport using IB transport (e.g., IP/TCP, GTP-U). It
is important to realize that introducing IB as transport can have
substantial complexities. For example, the working group should coordinate
with related standardization efforts (e.g., at IETF or 3GPP) for IB
information signaling from applications to networks (e.g., network tokens,
APN), and investigate the possibility of a single coherent design. If there
is enough progress, the working group may conduct a coherent design;
otherwise, the output should be an informational document reporting
findings such as key challenges and potential solutions."

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 8:14 AM Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia -
FR/Paris-Saclay) <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *From:* [email-masked] <
> [email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *Jensen Zhang
> *Sent:* Tuesday, September 8, 2020 10:12 PM
> *To:* IETF ALTO <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* ALTO Weekly Meeting Info for Sep. 09, 2020
>
>
>
> Dear ALTOers,
>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email-masked].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/CAAbpuyq62458%2BOU-BA6irxPKnHPwQKTQ9mmogzNdd5qLZy0u_A%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/CAAbpuyq62458%2BOU-BA6irxPKnHPwQKTQ9mmogzNdd5qLZy0u_A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email-masked].
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/PR3PR07MB70180F245E324FFC4369A7D295260%40PR3PR07MB7018.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alto-weekly-meeting/PR3PR07MB70180F245E324FFC4369A7D295260%40PR3PR07MB7018.eurprd07.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>

-- 
-- 
 =====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]>   |
| Professor of Computer Science       |
| http://www.cs.yale.edu/~yry/        |
 =====================================