Subject: [alto] A paper related to ALTO from Google

From: Qiao Xiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 21:03:52 +0800

Dear all,

I'm writing to share a paper I came across that I think is related to ALTO.
The paper is titled "Experiences with Modeling Network Topologies at
Multiple Levels of Abstraction", and is an experience paper from Google to
introduce their network topology abstraction service called MALT to
facilitate their internal network management systems (e.g., B4, Jupiter,
etc). MALT uses an entity-relation graph as the underlying data
representation, and provides a query language for users to query related
topology information. The link to the paper and its slides and video is
https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi20/presentation/mogul

One design decision in MALT is that it only provides topology information.
Information such as bandwidth, delay and routing table are not in the scope
of MALT. IMHO, this might be sth ALTO can help with.
In addition, MALT uses sharding for storage. So queries that span multiple
shards might be related to the design of ALTO multi-domain.

I'll continue digging more details and insights about the synergy between
MALT and ALTO. In the meantime, we can all share our thoughts on the list.

Best wishes
Qiao
-- 
Qiao Xiang
Professor, Yale University