Subject: [alto] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on charter-ietf-alto-04-01: (with COMMENT)

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 05:31:47 -0700

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-alto-04-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-alto/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a need for protocol maintenance and potential extensions based on the
deployment experience.

However, for future protocol usage I don't think there is a need to a working
group. This actually even puts doubts about potential direction that the
working group will take, hence not a deterministic focus or item that the
working group can deliver on. I mean to say, the future discussions can be
separated and might result in - ALTO is not a good fit for the future usages.

Also, as far as I understand ALTO uses the HTTP semantics hence the h2/h3
adoption seems like a implementation choice on the ALTO server. Should there
any issues on that adoption, that should be covered in the maintenance and
extension bullet based on current deployment.

Having said that, I wont block this rechartering but would suggest to rethink
about the focuses set on the charter.

---

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:56:11 -0700

Hi Zahed,

The original use case for ALTO -- peer to peer -- is largely dead. The
current charter's work supports the new CDN Interconnect use case.

It is too early to see how this affects adoption of ALTO, and I'm not
convinced we understand the current level of ALTO adoption.

So, this charter focuses on closing loose ends on the existing ALTO work
while we mature our understanding of the demand of for further extensions.

Martin