Subject: [ANCP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ancp-pon-02.txt> (Applicability of Access Node Control Mechanism to PON based Broadband Networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:10:01 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Access Node Control Protocol WG
(ancp) to consider the following document:
- 'Applicability of Access Node Control Mechanism to PON based Broadband
   Networks'
  <draft-ietf-ancp-pon-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

     The purpose of this document is to provide applicability of the 
     Access Node Control Mechanism, as described in [RFC5851], 
     to PON based broadband access. The need for an Access Node Control 
     Mechanism between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access Node 
     Complex (a combination of Optical Line Termination (OLT) and 
     Optical Network Termination (ONT) elements) is described in a 
     multi-service reference architecture in order to perform QoS-
     related, service-related and Subscriber-related operations. The 
     Access Node Control Mechanism is also extended for interaction 
     between components of the Access Node Complex (OLT and ONT). The 
     Access Node Control mechanism will ensure that the transmission of 
     information between the NAS and Access Node Complex (ANX) and 
     between the OLT and ONT within an ANX does not need to go through 
     distinct element managers but rather uses a direct device-to-
     device communication and stays on net. This allows for performing 
     access link related operations within those network elements to 
     meet performance objectives.  

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ancp-pon/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ancp-pon/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.