Subject: [Anima] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-liu-anima-grasp-api-03.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:04:52 +1300

And here's an update to the GRASP API.

Main changes:

1) Changed error return to integers:
The previous design returned English-language error strings. This design
returns an integer error code, but therefore needs the error codes to
be enumerated. So far, there are 38, based on the prototype implementation.

Do we need extensibility, user-defined error codes, etc.?

2) Required all implementations to accept objective values in CBOR:
This is important, since it allows for use from programming
languages that don't have a natural way of expressing complex
objects.

3) Added non-blocking alternatives:
This needs discussion. Originally we assumed that the ASA could easily
use multi-threading, but that is a dangerous assumption in general. So
the idea is that all GRASP API calls that are naturally blocking (e.g
waiting for a timeout or an incoming message) would have a non-blocking
alternative that can be called in an event-loop style of programming.
We need input on whether this has been defined correctly. (It goes
with the error code 2, "noReply".)

Regards
    Brian + co-authors

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-liu-anima-grasp-api-03.txt
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:55:55 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol Application Program Interface (GRASP API)
        Authors         : Brian Carpenter
                          Bing Liu
                          Wendong Wang
                          Xiangyang Gong
	Filename        : draft-liu-anima-grasp-api-03.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2017-02-12

Abstract:
   This document specifies the application programming interface (API)
   of the Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP).  The API is used
   for Autonomic Service Agents (ASA) calling the GRASP protocol module
   to exchange autonomic network messages with other ASAs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-anima-grasp-api/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-anima-grasp-api-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-liu-anima-grasp-api-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt