Subject: [Apn] New to Application-aware Networking Discussions?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:57:32 +0100

Greetings!

In case you're new to the discussions, here is a summary of
Application-aware Networking (APN). 

What is APN? 

o Application-aware Networking is a mechanism whereby traffic flows can be
steered and routed within the network to ensure that the specific service
levels needed by applications can be delivered. This work is distinct from
tokens, where traffic flows are guided or classified onto tunnels or paths.

Have APN discussions already taken place?

o Yes, the most recent discussion occurred during IETF 108 as a side-meeting
(30th July 2020). The agenda and minutes are posted
(https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/v108-apn-side-meeting). The focus of the
session was to review the prior discussion (SPUD & PLUS) on the problem
space and ask operators to outline the use case and problem scope. 

o We have discussed potential solutions to the use cases and requirements
principal operators presented during the IETF 108 side-meeting.

Are there any APN or related I-Ds that I can read? (Yes)

o Problem Statement & Use cases:

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-00

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase-00

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-apn-acceleration-usecase-00

o Framework

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-apn-framework-00

o Requirements on Application-awareness in Networks

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yiakoumis-network-tokens-01

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-fast-04

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-6man-app-aware-ipv6-network-00

Why did we create an APN  discussion list?

o There has been a lot of initial APN interest between early collaborators.
We need to continue the discussion and see if this work is relevant to the
IETF community, and if there is a willingness to develop solutions to the
use cases and requirements that the operators have identified. 

Kind Regards,

Dan and Robin