Subject: [Asrg] 3. E-postage and rate limiting - next steps

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:16:32 -0400

While the discussions may have been rather interesting at times, what 
next steps should be taken within the context of this group.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Some lies are easier to believe than the truth" (Dune)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Jonathan Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:36:41 +0100

> next steps should be taken within the context of this group.

How about figuring out a robust hashcash and signature mechanism, and 
considering how well it would work, including the possibility of third 
parties selling hashcash as a form of decentralised e-postage.  There's 
already some work in this area, which can be built upon, but a summary 
of this would be useful.

Oh, and I think I've figured out a way to do signatures without 
involving the message content (which is liable to change in transit 
under various circumstances).  It ties in neatly with hashcash.  :)

Simply put, since the hashcash must be unique per message, do the 
signature on the hashcash rather than the message itself.  For messages 
which don't require high-value hashcash due to whitelisting, generate a 
trivial (say 8-bit) unique hashcash and use that for the signature.

--------------------------------------------------------------
from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     [email-masked]
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/
tagline:  The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.