Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP? (various)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:25:58 -0500

>>>However, if you want to take a shot at it and write up a BCP document as 
> a short Internet draft, go ahead. There is definatly a good use of some 
> attachment blocking such as .EXE files.

>> It's important to understand that my scheme DOES NOT REQUIRE any kind of 
> "official standard" (and in fact, there are advantages to there NOT being a 
> single implementation of the concept net-wide).  The way it's implemented can 
> actually be a nice "product differentiation" feature of application software 
> vendors offering E-mail clients or antispam filtering products.  This is 
> actually another good advantage of my approach.

> I wasn't calling for an "official standard" only a document :) 

What kind of formalities do I need to adhere to to produce such "a document"?

> If you are convinced that your idea is good, 

I am!!!

> than write it up and promote it!

I've been discussing it at various places, besides just here, including a 
sequence of commentary on Ziff-Davis' PC Magazine discussion forum in a thread 
called "Stopping Spam".

There are about 46 messages in that thread so far, fairly worth reading I think. 
 It includes a lot of discussion about SPF-type and other SMTP-authentication 
approaches.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg