Subject: [Asrg] Sender Authentication Lookup

From: cw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:11:36 +0100

In the process of writing a report that I am currently working on, I'm sure I read somewhere on one of the lists or hundreds of documents that I have read that someone mentioned a problem with having all these different proposals.

The problem is that the recipient has no way of knowing which sender authentication scheme that the claimed sender supports if any. Would it be sensible and viable to have a standard put to be 'suggested' in the most forceful way to the different developers to include some common lookup functionality.

ie something along the lines of a single text record in the DNS zone of the likes of "sender-authentication scheme: X" where X is a published unique identifier for each technology.

That would solve recipients having to guess or try all the different technologies until they get a match. If the record doesn't exist then the client should assume sender authentication is not supported on that domain.

Does that sound sensible?

Regards,
Colin.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:50:46 -0400

This was suggested by the SPF folks several times, and I believe that it 
is their general intent with renaming of SPF to "Sender Policy 
Framework". You can also take a look at the RESCAP group in the IETF 
which was active a few years ago, which pursued a similar initiative.

However, considering that most of the authentication proposals have 
moded to MARID WG in the IETF, perhaps you should ask your question 
there as well.

Yakov

cw wrote:
> In the process of writing a report that I am currently working on,
> I'm sure I read somewhere on one of the lists or hundreds of
> documents that I have read that someone mentioned a problem with
> having all these different proposals.
> 
> The problem is that the recipient has no way of knowing which sender
> authentication scheme that the claimed sender supports if any. Would
> it be sensible and viable to have a standard put to be 'suggested' in
> the most forceful way to the different developers to include some
> common lookup functionality.
> 
> ie something along the lines of a single text record in the DNS zone
> of the likes of "sender-authentication scheme: X" where X is a
> published unique identifier for each technology.
> 
> That would solve recipients having to guess or try all the different
> technologies until they get a match. If the record doesn't exist then
> the client should assume sender authentication is not supported on
> that domain.
> 
> Regards, Colin.

--
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"And this too shall come to pass"

---

From: cw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:31:37 +0100

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:50:46 -0400, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> This was suggested by the SPF folks several times, and I believe
> that it is their general intent with renaming of SPF to "Sender
> Policy Framework". You can also take a look at the RESCAP group in
> the IETF which was active a few years ago, which pursued a similar
> initiative.

Thanks for the info, as per usual every thing I have thought of along my way has already been thought of though I'd completely missed that SPF suggested such and haven't looked at RESCAP.

Regards,
Colin.