Subject: RE: [Asrg] (no subject)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:46:41 -0700

> >One set of exchanges occurs went I communicate with a 
> relatively small 
> >group of individuals with whom I have some sort of trust 
> relationship: ...
> 
> Yup.  Since spammers will try to sneak in there, you need some sort of
> hard to break authentication to identify their mail.  Maybe something
> like domain keys will do the trick.  S/MIME sure hasn't.  Any
> suggestions?

The problem with S/MIME is the distribution of keys.
The problem with anything other than S/MIME is that the mail infrastructure
is hostile to any format other than S/MIME.

Solution is to fix S/MIME IMNSHO. Possibly by adding DK functionality,
possibly by adding XKMS functionality.

> Agreed.  How much do you expect people to be willing to pay you in
> order or how many hoops will they be willing to jump through in order
> to send you important information?

People will pay zilch for sending email. Enterprises will consider a
one off or annual fee for some form of accreditation if it will 
significantly reduce cost of negotiating email interchange agreements
currently necessary due to blacklist idiocy. BTW the whole of Spain
is currently blacklisted.

> PS: This discussion reminds me of people saying that current
> automobiles are unsatisfactory because the fuel is dirty and
> expensive, therefore future cars will run on water.  Water is
> plentiful and ecologically benign.  I don't have any idea how a
> water-powered car would work and neither does anyone else, but I think
> that cars will run on water anyway.

Yep.

The problem I see here is that there is no value to adding postage 
until large numbers check, and no point checking until large numbers
pay. Any I see plenty of people who don't want to change that
situation. 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Devdas Bhagat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:18:19 +0530

On 27/04/04 09:46 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
<snip>
> is currently blacklisted.
No. Only Telefonica, and that by a single DNSBL. Only the users of that
DNSBL will block Telefonica hosts.
On the other hand, outside the US, bandwidth is much more expensive and
any form of filtering that during or after the data phase is more
expensive than JHD. Could we please keep this fact in mind when
discussing solutions?

Devdas Bhagat