Subject: accessibility and entries with no human-readable text

From: Pete Brunet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 15:16:42 -0500

Back in January when I started looking into Atom and accessibility the 
following exchange took place:

JS: Despite requirements for the use of atom:title, atom:summary and 
atom:content, it is possible for an entry to contain zero human-readable 
text
BS: there are Atom applications where entries are meant to be consumed 
only by software. An annotation that indicates "this is not intended to be 
read by people" would be an accessibility improvement for such documents.

Is there a use case where an end user would actually encounter such 
entries?  If an end user would never encounter these kinds of entries it 
probably isn't useful to have the annotation.  Is such content ever 
transformed to a format readable by the end user?  Hopefully the 
transformation process would create accessible content.

Pete Brunet
                                                                          
IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:08:15 -0700

That would be extremely difficult to say one way or the other.  I doubt 
that such an annotation would be useful.

- James

Pete Brunet wrote:
> [snip]
> *Pete Brunet*