Subject: Fw: link rel="search"

From: Pete Brunet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:50:01 -0500

I didn't see a response to this question...

----- Forwarded by Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM on 10/09/2008 03:49 PM -----

Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM@IBMUS 
Sent by: [email-masked]
07/10/2008 04:05 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
link rel="search"

I see OpenSearch uses a link rel value of "search", but I don't see 
"search" in the RFC4287 spec 

7.1 Registry of Link Relations 
This registry is maintained by IANA and initially contains five values: 
"alternate", "related", "self", "enclosure", and "via". New assignments 
are subject to IESG Approval 

What is the status of the "search" rel value? 

Example: 
   <link rel="search" 
         href="http://example.com/opensearchdescription.xml" 
         type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" 
         title="Content Search" /> 

Pete Brunet
                                                                         
IBM Accessibility Architecture and Development
11501 Burnet Road, MS 9022E004, Austin, TX 78758
Voice: (512) 838-4594, Cell: (512) 689-4155
Ionosphere: WS4G

---

From: "DeWitt Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:57:22 -0700

Frank Ellermann has a work-in-progress draft for the registration of
rel="search".  It hasn't been submitted yet, so nothing has been registered,
of course.

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ellermann-opensearch-01.txt

That said, there are on the order of millions of pages and/or atom feeds
with rel="search" on the web, and that link relation is included in the
HTML5 draft [1], so I'd be surprised if that registration were to be
rejected.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#link-type-search

-DeWitt

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Pete Brunet <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  *Pete Brunet/Austin/IBM@IBMUS*
> [email-masked]  cc
> "alternate", "related", "self", "enclosure", and "via". New assignments are
> subject to IESG Approval
>
> *
> Pete Brunet*