Subject: [AVT] RTP payload format for GIF and PNG

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:56:16 -0400

Has anybody done an RTP payload format for GIF and/or PNG, for
distributing slides?
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:11:54 +0200

Hi Henning,

At the last IETF meeting in London I presented a problem, requirements
and initial idea draft for time-lined static media, see
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-westerlund-avt-rtp-static-media-00.txt.
This draft takes a more generic look on static media such as still
images and text with added timing information.

The proposal is to make a framework with generic building blocks that
are usable for several different image formats. If some format has
special requirements they can produce their own building block. The
purpose is to make it more simple to introduce new formats. I believe
such a solution easily can accommodate GIF and PNG.

Cheers

Magnus

--

Magnus Westerlund

Audio Technology, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson Radio Systems AB  | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Kevin Marks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:51:39 -0800

>Has anybody done an RTP payload format for GIF and/or PNG, for

The QuickTime generic format can pack GIF and PNG (and indeed 
anything else) and as these are both supported formats in QuickTime, 
you could encode them with existing QT tools. The packing format is 
described here:

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/icefloe/dispatch026.html

Slides are often better encoded in other formats, such as PICT or Flash.