Subject: Re: [AVT] RTP payload format for GIF and PNG

From: "Lawrence A. Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:27:38 -0700

Henning -

I don't think so.  We are using the new RGB capture board to send slides
but we are converting the image to YUV and encoded it using JPEG just to
get going.  Eventually, I wanted to look at doing something better -
using some better heuristics for coding, probably based on h.263 or even
a lossless codec like gif or png, but not until we had the device
integrated and it was a matter of improving the quality above what we
get with just RGB capture.  

BTW, the RGB capture looks very good - we can actually see small text on
a console window with only a few jpeg artifacts.  Right now we are
grabbing 2 fps (640x480) on a P2/500MHz machine, so it looks like we'll
be able to grab and transmit 5-10 fps on a faster machine using a larger
image (1024x768).
	Larry 
-- 
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  [email-masked]
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117
University of California, Berkeley       Fax: 510-642-5615
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776            URL: http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~larry

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt