Subject: [AVT] Questions about some MIME types

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:30:16 -0700

I have a couple of questions about how some of the MIME types defined in 
<draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mime-05.txt> relate to other MIME types - ostensibly 
for the same media - that are defined elsewhere.

1/  Section 4.1.21 of <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mime-05.txt> defines the MIME 
type "audio/PCMU" for u-law PCM.  However, section 7.6 of RFC 1341 defines 
the MIME type "audio/basic" as "audio encoded using 8-bit ISDN u-law 
[PCM]".  What is the relationship/difference between "audio/PCMU" and 
"audio/basic"?

2/  Section 4.1.22 of <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mime-05.txt> defines the MIME 
type "audio/QCELP".  However, in 
<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/audio/vnd.qcelp>, 
IANA defines the MIME type "audio/vnd.qcelp".  What is the 
relationship/difference between "audio/QCELP" and "audio/vnd.qcelp"?

         Ross.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:27:02 -0400

>[PCM]".  What is the relationship/difference between "audio/PCMU" and 

File format versus RTP packetisation. 

>relationship/difference between "audio/QCELP" and "audio/vnd.qcelp"?

Not sure, we should resolve this.

Colin