Subject: [AVT] V.21 bit representations in RFC 2833

From: "Miao, Kai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:35:57 -0400

I am wondering how the V.21 bit representations specified in RFC2833 can be
actually transported/implemented. The duration of each bit is only 3.33ms
and a typical V.21 frame would contain multiple bits, as in V.8's CI, CM, or
JM. 

If my codec is G723.1 which has 30ms frame size, do I make my RFC2833 packet
contain multple bit events of V.21 that have occurred up to the point the
packet is transmitted, in addition to the redundant events already
transmitted in previous packets? This means that up to 9 bit events can be
packed into the primary frame in a packet. 

An underlying assumption of the standard seems to be that "packet rate is
always greater than event rate". What would happen if it is not, as in this
case?

Whoever has dealt with this issue, please confirm if this is the correct
method and provide the alternative if it is not. 

Thanks,
Kai Miao 
Intel Communications Group

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt