Subject: [AVT] Last Call: The Secure Real-time Transport Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 13:21:45 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Working 
Group to consider The Secure Real-time Transport Protocol 
<draft-ietf-avt-srtp-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2003-5-22.

Files can be obtained via http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-srtp-06.txt

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: "IANA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:55:59 -0700

IESG:

The IANA has reviewed the following Internet-Draft which 
is in Last Call: <draft-ietf-avt-srtp-06.txt>, and has 
the following comments with regards to the publication of 
this document:

We understand the first paragraph of the IANA considerations
section to request a profile name registration in the rtp-parameters
registry.

The second and third paragraphs of the IANA considerations 
sections says the following:

   SRTP uses cryptographic transforms, which a key management protocol 
   signals. It is the task of each particular key management protocol 
   to register the cryptographic transforms or suites of transforms 
   with IANA. The key management protocol conveys these protocol 
   numbers, not SRTP, and each key management protocol chooses the 
   numbering scheme and syntax that it requires. 
    
   Specification of a key management protocol for SRTP is out of scope 
   here. Section 8.2, however, provides guidance on the parameters that 
   need to be defined for the default and mandatory transforms. 

Is the IANA requested to create a new registry for "SRTP cryptographic 
transforms or suites of transforms"?

In section 8.2 we see the list of Key Management parameters.  Is this
the initial registry?  How are others to be added?

The IANA Considerations section needs to be more clear.

Please respond to the IANA about our concerns with regards to this
document.  Failing to do so may cause delay of the approval and
publication of your document.

Thank you.

Michelle S. Cotton
(on behalf of the IANA)