Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:58:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RTP payload format for a 64 kbit/s transparent call
	Author(s)	: R. Kreuter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2003-9-2
	
This document describes how to carry 64 kbit/s data streams 
transparently in RTP packets, using a pseudo-codec called 
'Clearmode'.  It also serves as registration for a related MIME type 
called 'audio/clearmode'. 
'Clearmode' is a basic feature of VoIP media gateways. ture of VoIP media gateways.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:23:56 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-01.txt

A very short draft, so not much to comment upon:

  - The "Conventions used in this document" section should be a numbered
    section, just after the Introduction.

  - In Section 2, it states "There is no restriction on the number of 
samples
    per packet". There is actually a 64k limit imposed by IP, and you 
SHOULD
    choose the number of samples to be less than the path MTU.

  - An "IANA Considerations" section is needed. It may be simplest to 
rename
    Section 3.

  - The Security Considerations part of Section 3 should say "See 
Section 5
    of RFC XXXX". An RFC Editor note should be added to the start of the 
draft
    indicating that "All references to RFC XXXX should be replaced be 
the RFC
    number of this draft, when published". Also in Section 3, the 
"Published
    Specification" should reference RFC XXXX.

Aside from these minor points, it looks reasonable.

Cheers,
Colin

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt