Subject: [AVT] Working group last call: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-02.txt

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:28:11 +0200

This is to announce a working group last call on "RTP payload format for 
a 64 kbit/s transparent call" (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-clearmode-02.txt).
Please send any final comments on this draft to the mailing list by 1st 
of October 2003. If no substantive technical issues are raised, we 
intend to submit this draft for publication as a proposed standard RFC.

Note that this draft will not be advanced until we receive at least one
valid review from someone not directly involved with production of the
draft (i.e., not an author or contributor).

Regards

Magnus Westerlund

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Linus Walleij <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:29:04 +0200 (MEST)

Here is an outsider review:

This part in the introduction

   ISDN wideband speech terminals do not rely on a voice data
   processing, like echo cancellation or dual tone multifrequency (DTMF)
   detection, within a VoIP media gateway.  And ISDN data terminals e.g.
   will produce data streams that are not compatible with a non-linear
   encoding as is used for voice.

is worded like ISDN would be the only thing to be tunneled in clearmode.
Maybe it could be formulated as a neutral means for tunneling, listing
ISDN as *one* such /telephony/ application, if there may (in theory) be
other possible applications.

It should be noted if it is the intention of the authors that clearmode is
only to be used for voice transfer, or if it is applicable to other RTP
transfers at 64kbit as well, e.g. single-channel lossy ISDN data transfer
or anything else coming in at 64kbit/second. The above quoted paragraph
gives the impression that also data streams are allowed, while the draft
mostly talks about VoIP.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:52:13 -0400

In the Q.1912.5 interworking document (just consented and undergoing ITU-T last 
call), there is a place for CLEARMODE as the IP equivalent of ISDN 64 kbit/s 
unrestricted digital information.  We have an embarrassing gap at the moment because 
there is as yet no standard defined for transport of such information in IP.  (We 
also look forward to a solution for Nx64 kbit/s, but it appears that will take 
rather longer to appear.)

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:34:10 +0100

On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 19:52 Europe/London, Tom Taylor wrote:
> In the Q.1912.5 interworking document (just consented and undergoing 
> ITU-T last call), there is a place for CLEARMODE as the IP equivalent 
> of ISDN 64 kbit/s unrestricted digital information.  We have an 
> embarrassing gap at the moment because there is as yet no standard 
> defined for transport of such information in IP.  (We also look 
> forward to a solution for Nx64 kbit/s, but it appears that will take 

...and, as a reminder, Nx64 kbits/s is outside the scope of AVT and 
should be discussed in the PWE3 working group.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/