Subject: [cicm] Key identification

From: "Fitton, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:35:17 -0500

There are any number of issues associated with identifying keys. Might I recommend you read Section 5.1.6.4 of the Wireless Innovation Forum's Security Work Group document "Securing Software Reconfigurable Communications Devices (WINNF-08-P-0013-V1.0.0). It is a publicly available document at this link: [ http://groups.winnforum.org/p/cm/ld/fid=84 ] (3rd document down on the list). 
 
As you may know it is not uncommon for type 1 keys to have an associated tag which contains an identifier
which is unique to the source key management system, but if a device receives material from multiple systems there is a chance that the identifier may not be unique. The problem is compounded when the using device receives a key without any such key tag identification. A recommended approach is for the receiving device key management function to append a locally generated unique identifier to each key which it receives. It can then exchange this identifier with any application which requires the use of the particular key. This is a must stronger (less vulnerable) approach which can avoid misidentification of key material and its subsequent misuse.

________________________________

From: [email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]
Sent: Thu 1/20/2011 3:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: cicm Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

If you have received this digest without all the individual message
attachments you will need to update your digest options in your list
subscription.  To do so, go to

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cicm

Click the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' button, log in, and set "Get
MIME or Plain Text Digests?" to MIME.  You can set this option
globally for all the list digests you receive at this point.

Send cicm mailing list submissions to
        [email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cicm
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of cicm digest..."