Subject: [COSE] Protocol Action: 'Use of the HSS/LMS Hash-based Signature Algorithm with CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-cose-hash-sig-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 10:33:54 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of the HSS/LMS Hash-based Signature Algorithm with CBOR Object
   Signing and Encryption (COSE)'
  (draft-ietf-cose-hash-sig-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the CBOR Object Signing and Encryption
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-hash-sig/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the conventions for using the Hierarchical
   Signature System (HSS) / Leighton-Micali Signature (LMS) hash-based
   signature algorithm with the CBOR Object Signing and Encryption
   (COSE) syntax.  The HSS/LMS algorithm is one form of hash-based
   digital signature; it is described in RFC 8554.

Working Group Summary

    The document has undergone several revisions since WG last call. These revisions were
    needed to address comments from the last call and to update a reference to
    a draft that has since been published.

Document Quality

    There are no known implementations. This document specifies
    conventions for using HSS/LMS hash-based signature algorithm with COSE that
    are needed by other working groups. 

    Beyond normal WG processes, Jim Schaad and John Mattsson did an in-depth 
    reviews and had no substantive issues.

Personnel

    Document Shepherd: Ivaylo Petrov (COSE WG chair)
    AD: Roman Danyliw (Sec AD)