Subject: [Curdle] draft-ietf-curdle-cms-ecdh-new-curves-01

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:30:18 -0700

Russ,

Looks like this draft still needs some work.

1.  There is a static-static draft that was written for ECDH (RFC 6278).  I
assume that these use cases are still valid and it would be good to document
them for the new curves.  Should they be in this document or should it be a
separate document?

2.  In section 2.2 paragraph 4 - this paragraph messed me in terms of
thinking that this was different for the HKDF version of KDF than for the
X9.63-KDF version of the KDF.  There is not really a difference, it just
depends on if you are using bits or bytes for the truncation point.  I think
that this may need to be clarified.

3.  Section 3.2 - look like you forgot to update this section with the new
document.

4.  Section 6 - looks like you forgot to update this section with the new
document

5.  Section 7 - should there be a hint here about the location of these
algorithm identifiers for the X9.3 kdf versions?  I am assuming that you
believe they should be usable given that the KDF function was previously
described.

6.  Section 8 - is there a need to duplicate the S/MIME caps for the X9.3
kdf functions given that you did not duplicate the info in section 7?

Jim