Subject: [decade] Using NFS 4.1 in DECADE

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 00:41:23 +0300

Hi,

NFS 4.1 section 2.9 discuss the transport layer and has some requirements
from the transport which are not part of NFS 4.1 or RPC.

The following statement is part of the section

" It is permissible for a connectionless transport to be used under

   NFSv4.1; however, reliable and in-order delivery of data combined

   with congestion control by the connectionless transport is REQUIRED.

   As a consequence, UDP by itself MUST NOT be used as an NFSv4.1

   transport.  NFSv4.1 assumes that a client transport address and

   server transport address used to send data over a transport together

   constitute a connection, even if the underlying transport eschews the

   concept of a connection."

The current charter or the requirements are not discussing any requirements
from the transport protocol.

So far I thought that the media may be delivered using UDP therefore I think
that we need to address this issue if we want to have NFS 4.1 as a candidate
solution adding the requirement for TCP support.

I can see the value in the reliability and in-order and believe that since
the data will not be stored using RTP we can look at using TCP. 

Roni Even

---

From: "David A. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:10:51 -0400

I think this is a great point. I also had originally thought that
there may be some contexts where UDP might be used (the charter talks
about P2P streaming as well as P2P file sharing in the first
sentence). If we really want to allow a user to stream data from the
data locker, that might mean we need RTP as a possible transport that
DECADE supports, which might mean we need UDP. To be honest, my
thoughts around DECADE had been more about the offline storage use
case, but I'm not sure what others have thought, and the charter seems
to imply there are some folks who want to stream from the in-network
storage.

Love to hear what others think about this...

David

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Roni Even <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> decade mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/decade
>
>

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:52:47 +0300

Hi,
As another input, RTSP specifies support for RTP on UDP and also on TCP
based on RFC 4571.
Roni Even

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> David A. Bryan
> Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 11:11 PM
> To: Roni Even
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [decade] Using NFS 4.1 in DECADE
>