Subject: [dns-privacy] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dprive-rfc7626-bis-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 23:23:23 -0700

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dprive-rfc7626-bis-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-rfc7626-bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add my thanks for this document.  I have tripped on some of the issues in
my experience, but some of the others described here were eye-opening.  I'm
also learning from the ensuing discussions.

Section 1:

A couple of nits:

* "DNS relies on caching heavily ..." -- suggest "DNS relies heavily on caching
..."

* "Both are a big privacy concern since ..." -- suggest "Both are big privacy
concerns since ...", unless you mean the two of them collectively (in which
case, please say so)

I agree with Warren in that it's not clear what's leaking in the example at the
bottom of the second paragraph of Section 4.2.

In Section 5.1, please expand "CPE" on first use.

I'm having trouble parsing the third paragraph of Section 5.2.  The fourth
paragraph in the same section needs some commas.

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 09:54:57 -0400

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-rfc7626-bis/
fixed

* "Both are a big privacy concern since ..." -- suggest "Both are big
> privacy
Another edit suggested changing this to "Both are a significant privacy"
Does that work?

> In Section 5.1, please expand "CPE" on first use.

Good catch - updated

> paragraph in the same section needs some commas.

Third Paragraph - instead of "There are some general examples, for example,"
Maybe "Some general examples include "?

How about this for the fourth paragraph:

Note that even when using encrypted transports, the use of clear text
transport
options to decrease latency can provide correlation of a users'
connections,

e.g. using TCP Fast Open [@RFC7413].

thanks

tim