Subject: FWD: Last Call: DNS extensions to Network Address Translators (DNS_ALG) to Informational

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:59:31 -0400

Has anyone from the dns community looked at this one? Comments?

------- Forwarded Message

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:03:50 -0400
SUBJECT: Last Call: DNS extensions to Network Address Translators 	 (DNS_ALG) to Informational
Reply-to: [email-masked]

The IESG has received a request from the Network Address Translators
Working Group to consider DNS extensions to Network Address Translators
(DNS_ALG) <draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-02.txt> as an Informational RFC.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by May 18, 1999.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-02.txt

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:43:50 -0400

>Has anyone from the dns community looked at this one? Comments?

I have, emphasizing DNSSEC interaction.

In short, my somewhat cynical comment is that "NAT is the needle-exchange
program of the Internet."  Needle exchange has been proposed in some cities
as a means of stemming the passing of communicable diseases among IV needle
users, commonly drug abusers[1].  Critics of needle exchange say that it
encourages drug abuse, proponents say the exchange saves or prolongs lives.

As far as NAT and DNSSEC, NAT is incompatible with DNSSEC and TSIG.  The
author(s) of the document acknowledge this.  There is no engineering
commentary I can contribute to merge NAT and DNSSEC.  This is not an
engineering problem.

My opinion on NAT is the same as needle exchange.  It is a shame that
either is even a viable option (because of too little address space or an
addiction).  However, if you are still in the game, there is hope of
recovery (whether it is the conversion to IPv6 or addiction withdrawl).  If
you opt not to participate, you may be completely out (no network
connectivity or dying from a disease), possibly with no hope of recovery.

[1] I do not mean to slight the legitimate users of IV needles.  Generally,
these folks already have a supply of sterile equipment to supply their
treatments.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                       Network Associates/TIS
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                             Email: [email-masked]

Think globally, scope locally.
"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.