Subject: draft-finseth-btv-00.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 07:52:39 -0700 (PDT)

have folk looked at draft-finseth-btv-00.txt?

randy

From: Patrik Fältström  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: draft-finseth-btv-00.txt

At 15.30 -0700 1999-05-15, Fred Baker wrote:
>At 09:32 AM 5/15/99 +0200, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> >Conclusion, more people than Craig work on this, or in this area, but
> >I don't know how to get this draft to these people.

>would it make sense to drop a note to the IETF List?

>Would a four-week last call in effect be that note?

The former. As I can find two big worms in the paper which I want to 
get fixed, the paper is not finished enough to get me support a last 
call.

(1) Should DNS registration procedures be how TV channel names are 
registered for this process which have nothing to do with DNS? How 
about conflicts, like in the case with TV5 which is not the french 
channel 5 in Scandinavia according to a court descision, but a local 
channel? Channel names are regional, and I do not know if ICANN want 
to work with this aswell as trademark things.

(2) The resolution, or rather, how should this URL be used? It only 
talks about potential namespaces (yes, plural) that can be created 
using DNS naming. As not even a finite namespace is defined, the 
paper can not be used for implementing anything. So, the resolution 
needs to be talked about. How does the "thing" which does the 
resolution know that btv://tv1.se happen to be channel 11 in the 
south of Stockholm, while channel 7 in the north, but on button 1 on 
both of my TV-sets?