Subject: Re: Terminology question

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:09:34 -0400

This is a rare occasion where I agree with John :-).  The label "DNESEC"
should be limited to those features used to ensure the security of the DNS.
One may use the other record types to support security applications outside
of the DNS, and they are not critical to securing the DNS, so ...

Steve

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 01:24:05 -0400

>of the DNS, and they are not critical to securing the DNS, so ...

But Steve, 
TSIG is used to protect whole DNS messages between resolver and server, 
It can also protect messages between servers, and more importantly it can
protect whole zone transfers between two servers. 
"Traditional" DNSSEC only protects one RRset at a time. 
My proposal was to have the term DNSSEC refer to all the security
enhancements that are going to get built into DNS that protect DNS data. 

	Olafur

----------------------------------------------------
Olafur Gudmundsson 	    		[email-masked]  (work)
443-259-2389 (NEW PHONE NUMBER)	[email-masked]   (private)
301-854-6889  x2389 (if you can not dial 443 area code)