Subject: [Doh] Changes for draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-03

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:22:44 -0500

Thanks for taking the time to read the -03. Some of the more important
changes to be aware of:

* query parameter named body is changed to be named dns
* removal of .well known uri
* make base64url get encoding dependent on content-type
* text describing caching interactions and push trust
* some expanded and cleaned up examples

of course you should read the draft, comment, and open issues as necessary.
That's what we do.

There are only a couple of open issues being tracked at this point -
https://github.com/dohwg/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/issues

-Patrick

---

From: manu tman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 11:48:47 -0800

Thanks for providing a Changelog.

We should probably have a CHANGELOG in the repo [0] too. A format like [1]
makes it easy to track changes and access commits between 2 versions.

[0] https://github.com/dohwg/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/
[1] http://keepachangelog.com/en/1.0.0/

Manu

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> of course you should read the draft, comment, and open issues as
> necessary. That's what we do.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Doh mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/doh
>
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:14:25 +0100

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 02:22:44PM -0500,
 Patrick McManus <[email-masked]> wrote 

> of course you should read the draft, comment, and open issues as necessary.

No strong opinion on the controversial issues, sorry.

Editorial:

"Specifications that define media types for use with DOH, such as DNS
Wire Format Section 5.1 of this document, MUST indicate if the body
parameter uses base64url encoding." Isn't it "dns" now and not "body"?

"When using the GET method, the body MUST be encoded with base64url"
Same problem. I believe that, in HTTP, you cannot use the word "body"
for URI parameters.

There is at least one occurrence of "DOH server" instead of "DNS API
server". (I myself prefer "DOS server", there is nothing really
APIesque in DoH.)

---

From: "Hewitt, Rory" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 16:53:25 +0000

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

"There is at least one occurrence of "DOH server" instead of "DNS API
server". (I myself prefer "DOS server", there is nothing really APIesque in
DoH.)"

Why not just DNS server?

Rory

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:57:20 +0100

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 04:53:25PM +0000,
 Hewitt, Rory <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 139 lines which said:

> > (I myself prefer "DOS server", there is nothing really APIesque in
> > DoH.)
> 
> Why not just DNS server?

The idea is to find a way to tell apart DNS-over-HTTPS servers from
"classic" DNS servers.

---

From: "Hewitt, Rory" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:00:35 +0000

Well but from the POV of this doc, we're *only* talking about DOH servers.
If we were explicitly contrasting them with 'traditional' DNS servers, I'd
want the difference.

A DNS server is a DNS server is a DNS server. It's how we access them that
makes a difference...

Thanks,

Rory

Rory Hewitt
Senior Solutions Architect
Global Services & Support
Akamai Technologies
Tel: (408) 650-0035

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:57 AM
To: Hewitt, Rory <[email-masked]>
Cc: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>; Patrick McManus
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Doh] Changes for draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-03

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 04:53:25PM +0000,  Hewitt, Rory <[email-masked]>

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:18:11 -0500

Thank you for these