Subject: [dtn-interest] Call for Participation: 3rd ExtremeCom 2011

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:12:53 +0200

Dear colleagues,

Please find below a **Call for Participation** for the 3rd Extreme 
Conference on Communication - The Amazon Expedition (EXTREMECOM 2011, 
in-cooperation with ACM Sigcomm), to be held in Manaus, AM, Brazil, on 
September 26-30, 2011.We apologize if you receive duplicate copies of 
this announcement.

***************************************************************************** 

                                                   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                3rd Extreme Conference on Communication - The Amazon 
Expedition
                                                     EXTREMECOM 2011
                                 Manaus, AM, Brazil, on September 26-30, 
2011
http://www.extremecom.org/2011
***************************************************************************** 

REGISTRATION ARE NOW OPEN!!

Conference dates: September 26-30, 2011
Field experience and network deployment: September 26-28
Technical sessions: September 29-30

_/Number of participants:/_
Due to logistics and the need to conduct the conference in harmony with 
the local
population and the environment, the number of participants will be 
limited to 40.
Moreover, priority will be given to authors of papers.

***************************************************************************** 

Scope
---------
The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) brings together
researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in
rural and remote environments, in order to gain experience and insight
into the challenges that such environments pose for the network and
the users. We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both
technical and economical aspects, for example delay tolerant networks
and other networking paradigms, business and services models, low
power devices and protocols, user experiences and web applications.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, and ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, we now offer ExtremeCom 2011 - The
Amazon Expedition. In this edition, we aim to explore the challenges
of the deep Amazon Rainforest in Brazil. The chosen spot, which is
located 21 miles (34 km) from Manaus, is known as Praia do Tupé (Tupé
beach), a beautiful and remote beach accessed only by boat through the
waters of the Black River. The population is composed by natives
living in little communities spread around the jungle and also on the
river shore. These people experience constant communication
interruptions and most of them do not have any access to the Internet,
which makes this area a great field of experiments for extreme and
rural communications.

Hosted by the Federal University Of Amazonas (UFAM) the conference will
start with 3 days of immersion into the jungle where the conference
participants will aid in setting up and deploying an extension of a
DTN system in this area in order to provide connectivity to a new
community. During this time the participants will have the chance to
hike around the trails, interact with the locals and also know some
natural phenomenons like the "meeting of the waters", where the black
waters of the Negro River meet the brown waters of the Solimões River,
flowing side by side without mixing for about 9 km.

The immersion will not only give a better idea of both the technical
and user requirements of such a system, but it will also give many
opportunities for informal research discussions between the
participants. Participants that have their own software for scenarios
like this will also, to as great an extent as possible, be encouraged
to test and demonstrate it within this environment.

Upon reaching the end of the "field experience", there will be two
days of paper presentations and demos in a more traditional conference
venue at UFAM's facilities in Manaus. Focus will still be on informal
research discussions, with the hope that the field experience will
give participants the ability to discuss the topics in a new light.

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about
the topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the
conference. Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to
generate much discussion during the conference are especially
solicited. The aim of the conference is to maintain an informal
environment, where new research ideas can be discussed and
developed. We also hope to have a demo session where participants
can show their implementations and systems. If you want to show a demo,
   please submit a 2 page demo proposal using the same submission system
as for conference papers. Accepted papers will be published in the ACM
Digital Library.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:
* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of DTN systems
* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments
* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other
challenging environments
* User experience research
* Delay tolerant networking
* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols
* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications
* Networked applications and services

Due to logistics and the need to conduct the conference in harmony with
the local population and the environment, the number of participants
will be limited. Priority will be given to authors of papers and those
who register first.

***************************************************************************** 

Organizers
---------------
General co-chairs:
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany

Local arrangement committee:
Edjair Mota, UFAM, Brazil
JB Pinto Neto, UFAM, Brazil
Alfredo Goldman, University of Sao Paolo, Brazil
Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Publicity chair:
Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Sponsorship chair:
Christian Hoene, University of Tübingen, Germany

Registration chair:
Alfredo Goldman, University of Sao Paolo, Brazil

Web chair:
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of St. Andrews, UK

Technical Program Committee:
Célio Albuquerque, Fluminense Federal University, Brazil
Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA
Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK
Marcelo Dias de Amorim, CNRS, France
Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Marco Fiore, INSA Lyon/INRIA, France
Roy Friedman, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Antonio A F Loureiro, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
Jörg Ott, TKK, Helsinki, Finland
Aaditeshwar Seth, IIT Delhi, India
Bill Thies, Microsoft Research, India

Steering Committee:
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
*****************************************************************************