Subject: [dtn-interest] CFP ExtremeCom 2012 - The Alpine Expedition

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:59:45 +0100

[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this Call 
for Paper (CFP).]

*****************************************************************************
CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMOS
       4th Extreme Conference on Communication - The Alpine Expedition
EXTREMECOM 2012
March 10-14, Zurich,Switzerland

http://extremecom.org/
***************************************************************************** 

Important dates
---------------
Submission deadline: December 21, 2011
Notification of acceptance: January 21, 2012
Registration deadline: March 1, 2012 (early registration before February 
15, 2012)
*****************************************************************************

Scope
---------
The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) brings together 
researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in 
rural and remote environments, in order to gain experience and insight 
into the challenges that such environments pose for the network and the 
users. We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both technical and 
economical aspects, for example delay tolerant networks, mesh networks, 
sensor networks and other networking paradigms, business and services 
models, low power devices and protocols, distributed computing 
paradigms, user experiences and web applications.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun 
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan 
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, and ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon 
Expedition in Manaus Brazil, we now offer ExtremeCom 2012 - The Swiss 
Alps Winter Expedition. In this first winter edition, we aim to explore 
the challenges of the Swiss Alps during winter.

Hosted by the ETH Zurich, the conference will start with 3 days of 
snowshoe hike in the Swiss Alps backcountry where the conference 
participants will be experimenting with solar-powered experiments.
The immersion will not only give a better idea of both the technical and 
user requirements of such an harsh environment, but it will also give 
many opportunities for informal research discussions between the 
participants. Participants that have their own software for scenarios 
like this will also, to as great an extent as possible, be encouraged to 
test and demonstrate it within this environment.

Upon reaching the end of the "field experience", there will be two days 
of paper presentations and demos in a high altitude hut with no 
electricity. We will rely on solar-panels to power laptops and beamers. 
Focus will still be on informal research discussions, with the hope that 
the field experience will give participants the ability to discuss the 
topics in a new light.

Submission Guidelines
-------------------------------

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about 
the topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the 
conference. Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to 
generate much discussion during the conference are especially solicited. 
The aim of the conference is to maintain an informal environment, where 
new research ideas can be discussed and developed. We also hope to have 
a demo session where participants can show their implementations and 
systems. If you want to show a demo, please submit a 2 page demo 
proposal using the same submission system as for conference papers. 
Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital Library.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limted to:

* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of mobile communication 
systems
* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments
* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other 
challenging environments
* User experience research
* Delay tolerant networking
* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols
* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications
* Distributed computing for mobile environments
* Networked applications and services
* Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and 
networking
* Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications
*****************************************************************************

Organizers
---------------

General and TPC co-chairs:

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany

Local arrangement committee:

Bernhard Distl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Sascha Trifunovic, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Demo chair:

Agoston Petz, University of Texas at Austin, USA

Publicity chair:

Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Web chair:

Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of St. Andrews, UK

Bernhard Distl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Steering Committee:

Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK

Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden

Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK

Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

*****************************************************************************