Subject: [dtn-interest] Call For Participation: 4th ExtremeCom 2012 - The Alpine Expedition

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:01:13 +0100

Dear colleagues,

Please find below a **Call for Participation** for the 4th Extreme 
Conference on Communication - The Alpine Expedition (EXTREMECOM 2012), 
to be held in Zurich,  Switzerland, on March 10-14, 2012. We apologize 
if you receive duplicate copies of this announcement.

***************************************************************************** 

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
        4th Extreme Conference on Communication - The Alpine Expedition
                              EXTREMECOM 2012
             March 10-14, Zurich,  Switzerland
                         http://extremecom.org/
***************************************************************************** 

REGISTRATION IS OPEN!!

Conference dates: March 10-14, 2012
Field experience and network deployment: March 10-12
Technical sessions: March 13-14

Number of participants:
Due to logistics and the need to conduct the conference in harmony with 
the local population and the environment, the number of participants 
will be limited to 30. Moreover, priority will be given to authors of 
papers.

*****************************************************************************
Scope
---------
The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) brings together 
researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in 
rural and remote environments, in order to gain experience and insight 
into the challenges that such environments pose for the network and the 
users. We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both technical and 
economical aspects, for example delay tolerant networks, mesh networks, 
sensor networks and other networking paradigms, business and services 
models, low power devices and protocols, distributed computing 
paradigms, user experiences and web applications.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun 
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan 
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, and ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon 
Expedition in Manaus Brazil, we now offer ExtremeCom 2012 - The Swiss 
Alps Winter Expedition. In this first winter edition, we aim to explore 
the challenges of the Swiss Alps during winter.
Hosted by the ETH Zurich, the conference will start with 3 days of 
snowshoe hike in the Swiss Alps backcountry where the conference 
participants will be experimenting with solar-powered experiments.
The immersion will not only give a better idea of both the technical and 
user requirements of such an harsh environment, but it will also give 
many opportunities for informal research discussions between the 
participants. Participants that have their own software for scenarios 
like this will also, to as great an extent as possible, be encouraged to 
test and demonstrate it within this environment.
Upon reaching the end of the "field experience", there will be two days 
of paper presentations and demos in a high altitude hut with no 
electricity. We will rely on solar-panels to power laptops and beamers. 
Focus will still be on informal research discussions, with the hope that 
the field experience will give participants the ability to discuss the 
topics in a new light.

*****************************************************************************
Organizers
---------------
General and TPC co-chairs:
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany

Local arrangement committee:
Bernhard Distl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Sascha Trifunovic, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Demo chair:
Agoston Petz, University of Texas at Austin, USA

Publicity chair:
Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Web chair:
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of St. Andrews, UK
Bernhard Distl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Steering Committee:
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

TPC members
Ken Banks, Kiwanja.net, South Africa
Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK
Marcelo Dias de Amorim, CNRS, France
Michael Doering,  Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany
Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Marco Fiore, INSA Lyon/INRIA, France
Roy Friedman, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel
Bo Han, University of Maryland at College Park, USA
Luigi Iannone,  Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Germany
Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Gunnar Karlsson, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Kyunghan Lee, North Carolina State University, USA
Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Feng Li, Indiana University/Purdue University, USA
Yong Li, Tsinghua University, China
Jörg Ott, TKK, Helsinki, Finland
Aaditeshwar Seth, IIT Delhi, India
Julinda Stefa, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Bill Thies, Microsoft Research, India
*****************************************************************************
**