Subject: [dtn-interest] Fwd: [IRTF-Announce] IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:39:29 +0000

FYI.

Any generic discussion of this has to happen on irtf-discuss
and *not* here.

Any specific concerns about DTN on this front, feel free
to contact the RG chairs.

S

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [IRTF-Announce] IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:36:35 +0000
From: Eggert, Lars <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
CC: IAB IAB <[email-masked]>, Internet Research Steering Group <[email-masked]>

Until now, the IRTF didn't have a clearly formulated statement of how 
IPR is handled by the organization. For the last year, the IRSG has been 
discussing this topic with the IETF's legal counsel and other community 
members with a deep understanding of the issues.

The result of this discussion is a short statement describing the IRTF's 
IPR disclosure rules, which you can find below as well as online at 
http://irtf.org/ipr. The short version is: the IRTF follows the IETF's 
IPR disclosure rules. Because researchers participating in the IRTF may 
not be very familiar with the IETF's rules, the IRTF IPR disclosure 
rules describe what is required of the individual participant in the 
most common cases.

Just as the IETF, the IRTF expects participants to be familiar with 
these rules and follow them when they make contributions.

Please email any comments or questions to [email-masked].

Lars Eggert
IRTF Chair

---

IRTF IPR Disclosure Rules

The IRTF follows the IETF IPR disclosure rules. This is a summary
of these rules as they relate to IRTF research group discussions,
mailing lists and Internet Drafts:

- If you include your own or your employer's IPR in a contribution
   to an IRTF research group, then you must file an IPR disclosure
   with the IETF.

- If you recognize your own or your employer's IPR in someone else's
   contribution and you are participating in the discussions in the
   research group relating to that contribution, then you must file
   an IPR disclosure with the IETF. Even if you are not participating
   in the discussion, the IRTF still requests that you file an IPR
   disclosure with the IETF.

- Finally, the IRTF requests that you file an IPR disclosure with
   the IETF if you recognize IPR owned by others in any IRTF
   contribution.

You may file an IPR disclosure here:
http://www.ietf.org/ipr/file-disclosure

See RFC 3979 (BCP 79) for definitions of "IPR" and "contribution"
and for the detailed rules (substituting "IRTF" for "IETF").