Subject: [dtn-interest] Maritime/Underwater DTN

From: Alessandro Berni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 23:11:42 +0200

As a contribution to the recent discussions on the simulation of underwater
sensor networks I have updated the "Docs" section of the DTNRG Wiki with
couple of recent papers on our "real life" (i.e. non-simulated) application
of DTN:

   -

   D. Merani, A. Berni, J. Potter and R. Martins, An Underwater Convergence
   Layer for Disruption Tolerant
Networking<http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/BCFIC-RIGA.2011.5733227>,
   IEEE Baltic Congress on Future Internet Communications (BCFIC), pp.
   103-108, February 2011
   -

   A. Berni, D. Merani, J. Potter and R. Been, Heterogeneous system
   framework for underwater
networking<http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MILCOM.2011.6127620>,
   IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM) 2011, pp. 2050-2056,
   September 2011

The Underwater Convergence Layer (UCL) developed by NURC and University of
Porto was tested at sea over the past couple of years and we have started
sharing it with selected collaborators.

At the recent IETF in Paris we also discussed the possibility of
documenting the UCL as an Internet Draft: I can confirm that we intend to
follow that path.

IETF 83 meeting minutes:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/minutes/minutes-83-dtnrg.txt
IETF 83 presentation:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-dtnrg-3.pdf

We also have a definite interest on "lightweight" DTN: we see CBHE as an
asset and we are looking towards further optimizations to "squeeze" the
most out of the communication capabilities that are available underwater.

Regards,
Alessandro

-- 
-- Alessandro Berni, <[email-masked]>