Subject: [dtn-interest] Fwd: MIPI Alliance September 2012 Member Newsletter

From: Michael Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:36:17 -0700

Gentles, all--

Forrest Warthman (who authored the 2003 "DTN Tutorial" and the 2012 update
to that document) is asking whether or not DTNRG would be interested in
participating in the development of standards for sensors in mobile
environments by joining in a working group of the  Mobile Industry
Processor Interface (MIPI) Alliance. If anyone is interested (and I don't
see how someone on this list would not be), please respond...

I've cc'd Forrest.

Mike Snell

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Warthman Associates <[email-masked]>-
Date: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Subject: Fwd: MIPI Alliance September 2012 Member Newsletter
To: Mike Snell <[email-masked]>

Mike,

For the past seven years, my technical writing group has been editing
standards specifications for the Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI)
Alliance, a large group of companies producing products for the cell phone
industry.

The Alliance is now forming a new group focused on sensors in mobile
environments. Do you think the DTN group would be interested in joining
this MIPI group? If so, I invite you to contact them.

Forrest

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *"Peter Lefkin" <[email-masked]>
*Subject: **MIPI Alliance September 2012 Member Newsletter*
*Date: *September 11, 2012 9:00:19 AM PDT
*To: *"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
*Reply-To: [email-masked]

SEPTEMBER 2012 MEMBER NEWSLETTER
 SEPTEMBER 2012
   SENSOR BOF CALL SCHEDULED FOR 14 SEPTEMBER

The Sensor Birds of a Feather (BoF) Group will hold its first
teleconference on 14 September at 8am PDT to discuss the technical
requirements surrounding a potential interface. Click
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-j/>
 and enter access code *682 141 871* to join the call.

In addition, the group will meet on 18 October, during the MIPI F2F meeting
15-19 October in Miami, FL. Click
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-t/>
 to register. Please plan to join us if you are able!

MIPI WELCOMES 15 NEW MEMBERS DURING JULY/AUGUST

The summer months were not slow for membership in MIPI Alliance. 15 new
Adopter members joined our ranks in July/August, bringing the total number
of MIPI member companies to 240. A complete list of new members since June
2012 can be found
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-i/>
.

*New MIPI Member Companies*

Richtek Technology Corp.

iCatch Technology

Guangdong Nufront CSC Co.

Alcor Micro Corp.

Newlans, Inc.

CamPlex LLC

HCL Technologies Ltd.

Lytro, Inc.

Compound Photonics

BYD Microelectronics Co., Ltd.

Soitek, Inc.

Black Sand Technologies, Inc.

Infinite Z

Silicon Optronics, Inc.

M31 Technology Corp.

RECENT MIPI ECOSYSTEM SURVEY PROVIDES INSIGHT AND OPPORTUNITIES

MIPI Alliance recently completed an extensive review of its member company
ecosystem. The Board of Directors commissioned Dr. Eric Esteve (IPNest) to
conduct the research, highlighting areas such as specification adoption,
geographical distribution and general success of MIPI in the mobile device
market. The analysis was completed using member information publicly
available on company websites. The conclusion and editorial statements
contained within the report are those of Dr. Esteve.

The resulting research report offers a valuable look at the MIPI ecosystem,
its growth by company type/size, and trends in specification support by
ecosystem segments. We are pleased to share this information with you and
hope that it will prove useful.

The report can be accessed with the MIPI Member Area
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-d/>
 .

Please note that this research report is MIPI Alliance Confidential for
MIPI Member use only. Public distribution, and distribution to non-MIPI
Members, is not permitted.

FOLLOW US <http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-h/>
Follow
Us on Twitter<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-k/>
<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-b/> Join Us on
LinkedIn <http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-n/>
<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-p/> Watch MIPI
Videos <http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-x/> MIPI
Forms Sensor Birds of a Feather Group

The MIPI Alliance Board is pleased to announce the formation of the Sensor
Birds of a Feather (BoF) Group. All MIPI member companies are welcome to
join. The BoF will also be open to non-MIPI member companies. We are
announcing the group's formation to the MEMS Industry Group (MIG),
Microelectronic Packaging and Test Engineering Council  (MEPTEC) and MEMS
Business Forum. Our goal is to encourage key sensor ecosystem companies to
participate and share their input.

BoF participants will meet to discuss the requirements related to
integrating sensor devices in mobile systems, and to develop a whitepaper
on the issue. Specifically, the Sensor BoF will explore an area that
represents both a problem and a possible opportunity: how diverse sensors
are integrated into the system and how they are managed, from mechanical
(compasses and accelerometers), to environmental (light and temperature),
to biometrics (blood pressure, fingerprints). Camera sensors aren't
included in the BoF discussions and will remain the scope of the MIPI
Camera Working Group.

Currently, there might be dozens of sensors in a system, through current
interfaces don't appear to be very scalable, and they are frequently not
interoperable. MIPI offers specifications to the industry in many areas,
and this might prove to be another valuable area of activity.

The MIPI Board has asked Miguel Barasch (Qualcomm) and Satwant Singh
(Lattice Semiconductor) to serve as the Sensor BoF Chair and Vice-Chair
respectively. Miguel and Satwant encourage your active participation, if
this area is of interest to you and your company.

*To join the Sensor BoF:*

1. Log onto https://members.mipi.org<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-m/>

2. Click "Forums" at the top of any Workspace page

3. Scoll down the alphabetical list to "Sensor BoF Group"

4. Enable the "Subscribe" checkbox for the Forum

5. Click "Update" at the bottom of the page

6. You will be added to the email reflector ([email-masked]) and will
be notified of upcoming meetings, etc.

Mobile World Congress 2013 Call For Participation Now Open

Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2013 will be bigger and better than ever, with
a new venue and more room for exhibitors. The Barcelona, Spain event will
be held 25-28 February 2013 in the Fira Gran Via with an anticipated
attendance of over 70,000 people. You can learn more about the event
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-c/>
.

MIPI Alliance will again host a partner booth featuring our member
companies, their products and services. Our current booth is located in
Hall 8.1, stand E46 and is 40 sq. meters. This space is larger than last
year's booth - allowing us to accommodate more members and demos.

The objective of the MIPI Alliance booth is:

   - Demonstrate the benefit of mobile interface specifications

We will achieve this objective through the following strategies:

   - Visually show breadth/depth of MIPI member ecosystem
   - Display adoption of older MIPI specifications in released products, or
   implementation of new MIPI specifications in functional demos
   - Highlight the testability/interoperability of MIPI-based products

We issued the Call for Participation (CFP) on 5 September, along with a
marketing plan outlining the available options for members. We have
expanded the member opportunities this year, including both "manned"
(requiring staff from the participating company) and "unmanned" (no company
staff required). Some opportunities are available for only one member
company, while other opportunities have no limit to the number of
participants.

If you are interested in participating with us, send an email to
[email-masked]. I will confirm your request via email and issue
you a contract. Slots will be available on a first come/ first serve basis,
and we will make every attempt to accommodate members' requests. We hope
you will join us for another successful event.

Registration Open for Miami F2F Meeting

Registration is now open for the MIPI Alliance members meeting in Miami,
Florida, 15-19 October 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Miami Hotel. This meeting
is open to Contributor and Board members. Click
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-q/>
 to register.

Register by 1 October 2012 before 5pm EDT for the $100 early-bird
registration fee. After 5pm EDT, 1 October through 19 October, the $400
regular registration fee applies. The registration fee covers meals
(breakfast, breaks, lunch, and social events) during the entire meeting. If
you need to cancel your meeting registration or substitute a different
employ from your company, contact [email-masked] by 1 October 2012. For
those needing a Visa and Invitation letter, please submit your requests to
[email-masked] by 1 October 2012.

*Meeting Highlights*

The draft meeting agenda can be found in the MIPI members website
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-a/>

*Demo Day *- On Tuesday, 16 October, MIPI will showcase member products and
services during breaks, lunch and an evening cocktail reception. Current
participating companies include: MIxel, Inc., QuickLogic Corp., Graphin Co.
Ltd., Cosmic Circuits India, Silicon Line, Tektronic, Inc., Arrow Devices,
Cadence Design Systems, Synopsys, and Agilent. Registration for this event
is open until 28 September. Contact [email-masked] more details.

*Sensor BoF* - The newly formed Sensor Birds of a Feather group will hold
an open discussion among mobile device ecosystem participants and sensor
manufacturers regarding the requirements for a mobile device sensor
interface. The event is Thursday, 18 October 8:30am to 3:00pm. Sign up via
this registration
link<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-f/>
.

*Social Event* - Join us for a Cuban-inspired evening at De Rodriguez Cuba
on Wednesday, 17 October for Cuban food, drinks, music, as well as
cigar-rolling and Cuban mixology.

*Hotel Information and Reservations*

Hyatt Regency Miami

400 South East Second Avenue

Miami, Florida 33131-2197 USA

Tel: +1 305 358-1234

Fax: +1 305 358-0529

MIPI Alliance has negotiated a room block rate of $169 USD for a
single/double room. Book your room reservation
here<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-z/>
.

The official room block dates are 14-19 October 2012. MIPI has blocked
rooms three days on the front- and back-end of the meeting (12-22 October
2012). The MIPI Alliance room block reservation deadline is 1 October 2012.

Unsubscribe

You're receiving this newsletter because you are a member of the MIPI
Alliance. Having trouble reading this email? View it in your
browser<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-e-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-r/>.
Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe
Instantly<http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-u-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-y/>
.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:52:55 +0100

Hi Michael,

> see how someone on this list would not be), please respond...

DTNRG doesn't do that kind of thing as an entity, nor does the
IRTF nor IETF.

This also seems to be a fairly closed [1] and expensive [2]
club. There is scope for such organisations of course, but I
suspect that there're not so many on this list that'd find it
useful enough to be affordable.

Cheers,
S.

[1] "Specifications are available to MIPI members only" says
    http://mipi.org/specifications/battery-interface
[2] http://mipi.org/join-mipi/membership-model

> _______________________________________________
> dtn-interest mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest
>

---

From: Michael Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:28:44 -0700

Guess, I was wrong in assessing what would be of interest to DTNRG,
Stephen... not that that hasn't happened before...

Felicitations,

Mike

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> > FOLLOW US <http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-h/
> >
> > Follow
> > Us on Twitter<
> http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-k/>
> > 1. Log onto https://members.mipi.org<
> http://mipialliance.createsend1.com/t/y-l-jjjtjky-gilkrkin-m/>
> >

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:44:25 +0100

> Stephen... not that that hasn't happened before...

The mistake is just in thinking DTNRG has one mind. We clearly
don't if you look at the list archive:-)

S