Subject: [dtn-interest] [CFP] 5th Extreme Conference on Communication – The Volcanic Expedition

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 13:13:27 +0200

***************************************************************************** 

CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMOS

5th Extreme Conference on Communication – The Volcanic Expedition

ExtremeCom 2013

August 24-30,2013

Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Iceland

http://www.extremecom.org/

***************************************************************************** 

Important dates

---------------

Submission deadline: May 12, 2013

Notification of acceptance: May 26, 2013

Registration deadline: June 15, 2013 (early registration before June 7, 
2013)

*****************************************************************************

Scope

---------

The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) brings together 
researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in 
rural, remote or other extreme environments, in order to gain experience 
and insight into the challenges that such environments pose for the 
network and the users. We welcome a broad range of topics concerning 
both technical and economical aspects, for example wireless 
communication, mobile computing, low power devices and protocols, delay 
tolerant networks and other networking paradigms, distributed computing 
paradigms, business and services models, user experiences and web 
applications. Researches addressing computing challenges in general 
mobile environments (even not completely extreme) are also welcomed by 
the conference.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun 
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan 
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon Expedition 
in Manaus Brazil, ExtremeCom 2012 - The Alpine Expedition, we now offer 
ExtremeCom 2013 – The Volcanic Expedition in the Eyjafjallajökull 
Volcano region Iceland. The conference will start with 3-4 days of 
hiking in the volcanic landscape of Iceland, leading up to the 
Eyjafjallajökull Volcano. Along the way, participants will get to see 
and experience breathtaking views over a harsh landscape and understand 
the challenges involved in networking in this region. The immersion will 
not only give a better idea of both the technical and user requirements 
of such an harsh environment, but it will also give many opportunities 
for informal research discussions between the participants. Participants 
that have their own software for scenarios like this will also, to as 
great an extent as possible, be encouraged to test and demonstrate it 
within this environment. Upon reaching the end of the hike, there will 
be two days of paper presentations and demos. Focus will still be on 
informal research discussions, with the hope that the field experience 
will give participants the ability to discuss the topics in a new light.

Submission Guidelines

-------------------------------

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about 
the topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the 
conference. Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to 
generate much discussion during the conference are especially solicited. 
The aim of the conference is to maintain an informal environment, where 
new research ideas can be discussed and developed. We also hope to have 
a demo session where participants can show their implementations and 
systems. If you want to show a demo, please submit a 2 page demo 
proposal using the same submission system as for conference papers. 
Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital Library.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:

* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of mobile communication 
systems

* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments

* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other 
challenging environments

* User experience research

* Delay tolerant networking

* Mesh networks and sensor networks

* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols

* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications

* Distributed computing for mobile environments

* Networked applications and services

* Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and 
networking

* Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications

* Mining and modeling of mobility and social network

Due to logistics, the number of participants will be limited. Priority 
will be given to authors of papers and those who register first.

*****************************************************************************

Organizers

---------------

General and TPC co-chairs:

Pan Hui, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong 
Kong/Telekom Innovation Laboratories, Germany

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

Local arrangement committee:

Ólafur Helgason, Iceland

Publicity chair:

Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Web chair:

Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of Cambridge, UK

Technical Program Committee:

Ken Banks, Kiwanja.net, South Africa

Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA

Gary Chan, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK

Marcelo Dias de Amorim, CNRS, France

Michael Doering, Bosch Research, Germany

Avri Doria, Independent Research Consultant, USA

Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Marco Fiore, INSA Lyon/INRIA, France

Roy Friedman, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel

Bo Han, AT&T Research, USA

Luigi Iannone, Telecom ParisTech, France

Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA

Gunnar Karlsson, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden

HengChang Liu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA

James Kwok, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Kyunghan Lee, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Korea

Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Yong Li, Tsinghua University, China

Alessandro Mei, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy

Jörg Ott, Aalto University, Finland

Steering Committee:

Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK

Avri Doria, Independent Research Consultant, USA

Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK

Pan Hui, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong 
Kong/Telekom Innovation Laboratories, Germany

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

*****************************************************************************

-- 
Document sans titre