Subject: [dtn-interest] CFP: ACM CHANTS 2013 (co-located with ACM MobiCom) - Deadline approaching

From: Fehmi Ben Abdesslem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 14:41:27 +0100

[Our sincere apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message]

______________________________________________________________________

         ACM CHANTS 2013 - 8th Workshop on Challenged Networks
                  co-located with ACM MobiCom 2013
             September 30-October 4, Miami, Florida, USA

                       www.acm-chants.org/13

______________________________________________________________________

SCOPE AND OVERVIEW
__________________

Challenged networks comprise those situations where communication is 
desired, but traditional Internet protocol architectures fail to provide 
it effectively. Such networks may be characterized by intermittent 
connectivity, a heterogeneous mix of nodes, nodal churn, and widely 
varying network conditions. Common examples of challenged networks 
include high delay environments such as inter-planetary networks, 
limited power environments such as sensor and wildlife monitoring 
networks, underwater networks, and communication in settings that lack 
infrastructure such as rural and remote areas, and military 
battlefields.  Challenged networks also find application in everyday 
settings, when access to traditional infrastructure is restricted, 
expensive, overly complex, or rapidly changing.

This workshop builds on the success of the seven previous CHANTS 
workshops, and WDTN 2005. CHANTS provides an ideal venue for researchers 
and engineers to present cutting-edge work and results, as research 
papers or demos, in the following topics:

• Delay/disruption-tolerant networks (DTNs)
• Opportunistic communication and computing
• Architecture, design, and implementation of communication systems for 
challenged networks
• Modeling, analysis and characterization of challenged networks and 
protocols
• Security/Privacy concerns and solutions in challenged networks
• Case studies involving real challenged network solutions in various 
stages of development or use
• Applications for challenged networks (e.g. disaster relief and 
emergency management, vehicular networks, mobile social networking, 
censorship evasion, crowd-sourcing, sensor networks)
• Green and energy-efficient communication using challenged networks
• Real-world mobility trace collection, analysis, and modeling for 
challenged environments
• Network science methods for challenged networks
• Mobile data offloading and content-centric approaches via challenged 
networks
• Test and simulation tools for evaluating challenged network systems
• Configuration, management, and monitoring of challenged networks
• Applications of challenged networking techniques to communication in 
daily life
• Mobile cloud solutions in challenged networks

Selected papers will be forward-looking, will describe their 
relationship to existing work, and will have impact and implications for 
ongoing or future research.  We aim to accept approximately 12 papers, 
and to have a highly interactive workshop, including a keynote speaker 
and a panel. In addition, demos have been an integral part of CHANTS, 
and we aim to accept up to ten demos.  Paper authors who can also run a 
demo of their work are encouraged to do so.  In exceptional cases, where 
live demos are simply not practical to present, poster or video 
presentations of practical results are acceptable.

PAPER FORMAT AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
________________________________________

Submitted papers must be no more than 6 pages long, and should adhere to 
the standard ACM conference proceedings format. Demo proposal abstracts 
(to be published as part of the proceedings) shall not be longer than 3 
pages plus 1 page description of the precise setup and requirements. 
Please follow the submission link at:
http://www.acm-chants.org/13

IMPORTANT DATES
_______________

Abstract Registration:  25 May 2013
Submission Deadline:    1 June 2013
Authors Notification:   25 June 2013
Camera Ready Due:       10 July 2013
Workshop:               30 September 2013

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
____________________

Program Committee Chairs
• Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos (Institut Eurecom, France)
• Anders Lindgren (Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden)

Publicity Chair
• Fehmi Ben Abdesslem (University of Cambridge, UK)

Technical Program Committee
• Mostafa Ammar (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
• Aruna Balasubramanian (University of Washington, USA)
• Chiara Boldrini (IIT-CNR Pisa, Italy)
• Scott Burleigh (NASA/JPL, USA)
• Guohong Cao (Penn State, USA)
• Augustin Chaintreau (Columbia University, USA)
• Vania Conan (Thales Architecture Framework Centre, France)
• Do Young Eun (North Carolina State University, USA)
• Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
• Tristan Henderson (University of St Andrews, UK)
• Theus Hossmann (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
• Pan Hui (Deutsche Telekom Laboratories/Hong Kong Univ. of Science and 
Technology, Hong Kong)
• Stratis Ioannidis (Technicolor Palo Alto, USA)
• Merkourios Karaliopoulos (University of Athens, Greece)
• Bhaskar Krishnamachari (USC, USA)
• Giovanni Neglia (INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, France)
• Melek Onen (Institut Eurecom, France)
• Joerg Ott (AALTO University, Finland)
• Andrea Passarella (IIT-CNR, Italy)
• Andreea Picu (ETH Zurich, Switzerland)
• Stavros Toumpis (Athens University of Business and Economy, Greece)
• Eiko Yoneki (University of Cambridge, UK)

Steering Committee
• Kevin Almeroth (UC-Santa Barbara, USA)
• Mostafa Ammar (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
• Christophe Diot (Technicolor, France)
• Deborah Estrin (UC-Los Angeles, USA)
• Kevin Fall (Intel Research Berkeley, USA)
• Jeorg Ott (Helsinki University of Technology, Finland)
• James Scott (Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK)

Find out more at www.acm-chants.org/13