Subject: [dtn-interest] Early Registration Deadline 5/24/2013: Call for Participation at ACM MobiSys 2013: Taipei, Taiwan, June 25 - June 28, 2013

From: Ted Tsung-Te Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 00:39:25 +0800

[Please accept our apologies if you get multiple copies of this message]

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

=======================

ACM MobiSys 2013
=======================
The ACM Eleventh International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications
and Services (ACM MobiSys 2013) Taipei, Taiwan, June 25 - 28, 2013.
http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/index.php

=======================

*** ACM MobiSys'13 Early Registration Deadline 5/24/2013 Please visit
http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/reg.php for more information. ***
=======================

We have assembled an exciting program for MobiSys'13, a leading,
single-track, annual forum on research related to the design,
implementation, usage, and evaluation of mobile computing and wireless
systems, applications, and services. To celebrate the beginning of
MobiSys's 2nd decade, the main conference will be a 3-full-day event for
the first time.

Here are some of the highlights:

-  33 papers are selected among the 210 submissions. The acceptance rate is
a mere 15.7%. The main program will feature more latest R&D from teams
around the world but no less competitive.

-  The keynote "natural user interface hardware" will be given by Professor
Patrick Baudisch.

- Untold Stories of Research Session: How some researchers have not stopped
at publications as the end goal of research, but are continuing to push
forward to achieve different forms of impact. We will bring in speakers to
talk about how they have continued to push forward to achieve different
forms of impact -- deployments in the real world, licensing to companies,
hosting apps on the app store, startup experiences, or fieldwork in
developing regions.

- A PhD Forum that provides a friendly and supportive environment for
doctoral students to present and discuss their dissertation research both
with their peers and with a panel of experienced researchers from academia
and industry. A $1000 cash prize will be awarded to the best presenter at
the forum

- 3 workshops on new and emerging topics of mobile systems, including
     The Fourth ACM Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing and Services (MCS)
     VANET 2013 - The Tenth ACM International Workshop on
VehiculArInter-NETworking, Systems, and Applications
     Workshop On Cellular Networks: Operations, Challenges, and FutureDesign
(CellNet)

- MobiSys expands, again for the first time, to host an invited tutorial on
mobile localization sensing.

- Multiple demos and posters, showing off cool mobile systems, applications
and services. For the first time this year, MobiSys will host a Video
Program for researchers to show off their creativity through a 5-minute
video of their research. All videos will be considered for the Best Video
Award. The winner will receive a plaque and a cash award.

[demos/posters]:http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/demos.php
[videos]:http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/video.php

- The banquet will be in the National Palace Museum, among the top
must-go-in-a-lifetime museums in the world.

- Registration and venue/hotel info pages are now open!
[Registration]: http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/reg.php
[Venue/Hotel]: http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2013/venue.php

********

MobiSys 2013 Preliminary Program

Session 1: Vehicular Systems and Apps (4 papers + 1 video)

-AMC: Verifying User Interface Properties for Vehicular Applications
Kyungmin Lee, Jason Flinn (University of Michigan), T.J. Giuli (Ford Motor
Company), Brian Noble (University of Michigan), Christopher Peplin (Ford
Motor Company)

-CarSafe App: Alerting Drowsy and Distracted Drivers using Dual Cameras on
Smartphones Chuang-Wen You (Dartmouth College), Nicholas D. Lane (Microsoft
Research Asia), Fanglin Chen, Rui Wang (Dartmouth College), Zhenyu Chen
(Chinese Academy of Sciences), Thomas J. Bao, Yuting Cheng, Mu Lin, Lorenzo
Torresani, Andrew T. Campbell (Dartmouth College)

-CrowdAtlas: Self-Updating Maps for Cloud and Personal Use Yin Wang (HP
Labs), Xuemei Liu (Baidu Inc.), Hong Wei (Shanghai Jiao Tong University),
George Forman (HP Labs), Chao Chen, Yanmin Zhu (Shanghai Jiao Tong
University)

-Sensing Vehicle Dynamics for Determining Driver Phone Use Yan Wang
(Stevens Institute of Technology), Jie Yang (Oakland University), Hongbo
Liu, Yingying Chen (Stevens Institute of Technology), Marco Gruteser,
Richard P. Martin (Rutgers University)

-Video: Scout Demo - An Asymmetric Vehicular Network Design over TV
Whitespaces Tan Zhang (Wisconsin-Madison)

Session 2: Energy, Privacy and Security (4 papers + 1 video)

- Optimizing Background Email Sync on Smartphones Fengyuan Xu (Microsoft
Research Asia and College of William and Mary), Yunxin Liu, Thomas
Moscibroda (Microsoft Research Asia), Ranveer Chandra (Microsoft Research),
Long Jin (Microsoft Research Asia and Tsinghua University), Yongguang Zhang
(Microsoft Research Asia), Qun Li (College of William and Mary)

-Energy Characterization and Optimization of Image Sensing Toward
Continuous Mobile Vision Robert LiKamWa (Rice University), Bodhi Priyantha,
Matthai Philipose (Microsoft Research Redmond), Lin Zhong (Rice
University), Paramvir Bahl (Microsoft Research Redmond)

-Leveraging graphical models to improve accuracy and reduce privacy risks
of mobile sensing Abhinav Parate, Meng-Chieh Chiu, Deepak Ganesan, Benjamin
Marlin (University of Massachusetts Amherst)

-ProtectMyPrivacy: Detecting and Mitigating Privacy Leaks on iOS Devices
Using Crowdsourcing Yuvraj Agarwal, Malcolm Hall (University of California,
San Diego)

-Video: SocialTV4WSP
Wen Yonggang (Nanyang Technological U.)

Session 3: Advertisements and Search (3 papers)

-SmartAds: Bringing Contextual Ads to Mobile Apps Suman Nath (Microsoft
Research), Felix Xiaozhu Lin (Rice University), Lenin Ravindranath
Sivalingam, Jitu Padhye (Microsoft Research)

-CAMEO: A Middleware for Mobile Advertisement Delivery Azeem J. Khan,
Kasthuri Jayarajah (Singapore Management University), Dongsu Han (Carnegie
Mellon University), Archan Misra, Rajesh Balan (Singapore Management
University), Srinivasan Seshan (Carnegie Mellon University)

-Scalable Crowd-Sourcing of Video from Mobile Devices Pieter Simoens (Ghent
University College - iMinds, Carnegie Mellon University), Yu Xiao (Aalto
University, Carnegie Mellon University), Padmanabhan Pillai (Intel Labs),
Zhuo Chen, Kiryong Ha, Mahadev Satyanarayanan (Carnegie Mellon University)

Poster & Demos

List of accepted posters and demos

Session 4: OS, Software, and Virtualization (4 papers + 1 video)

-Just-in-Time Provisioning for Cyber Foraging Kiryong Ha (Carnegie Mellon
University), Padmanabhan Pillai (Intel Labs), Wolfgang Richter, Yoshihisa
Abe, Mahadev Satyanarayanan (Carnegie Mellon
University)

-SIF: A Selective Instrumentation Framework for Mobile Applications Shuai
Hao, Ding Li, William G.J. Halfond, Ramesh Govindan (University of Southern
California)

-RetroSkeleton: Retrofitting Android Apps Benjamin Davis, Hao Chen
(University of California, Davis)

-SmartSynth: Synthesizing Smartphone Automation Scripts from Natural
Language Vu Le (University of California, Davis), Sumit Gulwani (Microsoft
Research, Redmond), Zhendong Su (University of California, Davis)

-Video: Keyword Programming for TouchDevelop Vu Le (UC Davis)

Session 5: Location, Indoors and Outdoors (4 papers + 1 video)

- FM-based Indoor Localization via Automatic Fingerprint DB Construction
and Matching Sungro Yoon (NCSU), Kyunghan Lee (UNIST), Injong Rhee (NCSU)

-High-Accuracy Differential Tracking of Low-Cost GPS Receivers Will
Hedgecock, Miklos Maroti, Janos Sallai, Peter Volgyesi, Akos Ledeczi
(Vanderbilt University)

- Guoguo: Enabling Fine-grained Indoor Localization via Smartphone Kaikai
Liu, Xinxin Liu, Xiaolin Li (University of Florida)

-Avoiding Multipath to Revive Inbuilding WiFi Localization Souvik Sen,
Jeongkeun Lee, Kyu-Han Kim, Paul Congdon (HP Labs)

-Video: Participatory Sensing and Crowd Management in Public Spaces Tobias
Franke (DFKI)

Session 6: Interface design (3 papers + 1 video)

-Spartacus: Spatially-Aware Interaction for Mobile Devices Through
Energy-Efficient Audio Sensing Zheng Sun, Aveek Purohit (Carnegie Mellon
University), Raja Bose (Microsoft Silicon Valley), Pei Zhang (Carnegie
Mellon University)

-ViRi: View It Right
Donghuan Lu, Guobin Shen, Liqun Li, Pan Hu (Microsoft Research Asia)

-ScreenPass: Secure Password Entry for Touchscreen Devices Dongtao Liu
(Duke University), Eduardo Cuervo (HP Labs), Ryan Scudellari, Landon P. Cox
(Duke University)

-Video: Pointer Wizard
Jenq-Shiou Leu (National Taiwan University of Science and Technology)

Story Session
Untold Stories of Research
How some researchers have not stopped at publications as the end goal of
research, but are continuing to push forward to achieve different forms of
impact.

Panel Session (TBD)

Session 7: Cellular and WiFi (4 papers)

-Accounting for Roaming Users on Mobile Data Access: Issues and Root Causes
Guan-Hua Tu, Chunyi Peng, Chi-Yu Li, Xingyu Ma, Songwu Lu (UCLA)

-Comparison of Caching Strategies in Modern Cellular Backhaul Networks
Shinae Woo, Eunyoung Jeong, Shinjo Park (KAIST), Jongmin Lee (SK Telecom),
Sunghwan Ihm (Princeton University), Kyoungsoo Park (KAIST)

-LEAD: Leveraging Protocol Signatures for Improving Wireless Link
Performance Jun Huang, Yu Wang, Guoliang Xing (Michigan State University)

-PROTEUS: Network Performance Forecast for Real-Time, Interactive Mobile
Applications Qiang Xu (University of Michigan), Sanjeev Mehrotra (Microsoft
Research), Z.
Morley Mao (University of Michigan), Jin Li (Microsoft Research)

Session 8: Behavior and Activity Recognition (4 papers + 1 video)

-NuActiv: Recognizing Unseen New Activities Using Semantic Attribute-Based
Learning Heng-Tze Cheng, Feng-Tso Sun, Martin Griss (Carnegie Mellon
University), Paul Davis, Jianguo Li, Di You (Motorola Mobility)

-SocioPhone: Everyday Face-To-Face Interaction Monitoring Platform Using
Multi-Phone Sensor Fusion Youngki Lee (Singapore Management University),
Chulhong Min, Chanyou Hwang, Jaeung Lee, Inseok Hwang, Younghyun Ju,
Chungkuk Yoo, Miri Moon, Uichin Lee, Junehwa Song (KAIST)

-MoodScope: Building a Mood Sensor from Smartphone Usage Patterns Robert
LiKamWa (Rice University and Microsoft Research Asia), Yunxin Liu, Nicholas
D. Lane (Microsoft Research Asia), Lin Zhong (Rice University)

-Auditeur: A Mobile-Cloud Service Platform for Acoustic Event Detection on
Smartphones Shahriar Nirjon, Robert F. Dickerson, Philip Asare, Qiang Li,
Dezhi Hong, John A. Stankovic (University of Virginia), Pan Hu, Guobin Shen
(Microsoft Research Asia), Xiaofan Jiang (Intel Labs China)

-Video: Audio Colocation
Mary G Baker (HP Labs)

Session 9: Assorted Topics (3 papers)

-Kwiizya: Local Cellular Network Services in Remote Areas Mariya Zheleva,
Arghyadip Paul, David L. Johnson, Elizabeth Belding (UCSB)

-AdRob: Examining the Landscape and Impact of Android Application
Plagiarism Clint Gibler, Ryan Stevens (UC Davis), Jon Crussell (UC Davis,
Sandia National Labs), Hao Chen (UC Davis), Hui Zang, Heesook Choi (Sprint)

-EnGarde: Protecting the Mobile Phone from Malicious NFC Interactions
Jeremy Gummeson (University of Massachusetts Amherst), Bodhi Priyantha
(Microsoft Research), Deepak Ganesan, Derek Thrasher, Pengyu Zhang
(University of Massachusetts Amherst)

We are looking forward to seeing you in Taipei in June!

General Co-chairs
Hao-Hua Chu (National Taiwan University)
Polly Huang (National Taiwan University)
Web Chair
Ted Tsung-Te Lai (National Taiwan University)