Subject: [dtn-interest] Call for Participation – ExtremeCom 2013 – The Volcanic Expedition. Registrations are now open!

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 11:21:49 +0200

***********************************************************************************

[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this Call 
for Participation (CFP).]

***********************************************************************************

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

5th Extreme Conference on Communication – The Volcanic Expedition

ExtremeCom 2013

August 24-29,2013

Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Iceland

http://www.extremecom.org/

***************************************************************************** 

* IMPORTANT DATES

Conference dates August 24-29, 2013

Required arrival date: August 23, 2013

Registration: ****Now open****

*****************************************************************************

Scope:

------

The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) brings together 
researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in 
rural, remote or other extreme environments, in order to gain experience 
and insight into the challenges that such environments pose for the 
network and the users. We welcome a broad range of topics concerning 
both technical and economical aspects, for example wireless 
communication, mobile computing, low power devices and protocols, delay 
tolerant networks and other networking paradigms, distributed computing 
paradigms, business and services models, user experiences and web 
applications. Researches addressing computing challenges in general 
mobile environments (even not completely extreme) are also welcomed by 
the conference.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun 
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan 
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon Expedition 
in Manaus Brazil, ExtremeCom 2012 - The Alpine Expedition, we now offer 
ExtremeCom 2013 – The Volcanic Expedition in the Eyjafjallajökull 
Volcano region Iceland. The conference will start with 3-4 days of 
hiking in the volcanic landscape of Iceland, leading up to the 
Eyjafjallajökull Volcano. Along the way, participants will get to see 
and experience breathtaking views over a harsh landscape and understand 
the challenges involved in networking in this region. The immersion will 
not only give a better idea of both the technical and user requirements 
of such an harsh environment, but it will also give many opportunities 
for informal research discussions between the participants. Participants 
that have their own software for scenarios like this will also, to as 
great an extent as possible, be encouraged to test and demonstrate it 
within this environment. Upon reaching the end of the hike, there will 
be two days of paper presentations and demos. Focus will still be on 
informal research discussions, with the hope that the field experience 
will give participants the ability to discuss the topics in a new light.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:

* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of mobile communication 
systems

* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments

* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other 
challenging environments

* User experience research

* Delay tolerant networking

* Mesh networks and sensor networks

* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols

* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications

* Distributed computing for mobile environments

* Networked applications and services

* Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and 
networking

* Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications

* Mining and modeling of mobility and social network

Due to logistics, the number of participants will be limited. Priority 
will be given to authors of papers and those who register first.

Registration:

-------------

The registration fee is 800 EUR. This fee includes round-trip transport 
between Reykjavik and the conference location, accommodation during the 
conference, all meals during the conference, as well as all technical 
sessions.

Program outline:

----------------

Participants are required to arrive in Iceland on August 23, as we will 
leave from Reykjavik early in the morning on August 24. More details 
about the exact meeting point and exact time will be provided later on 
the workshop web page.

On the Saturday, August 24, participants will leave from Reykjavik early 
in the morning, drive to Skógar. They will visit the Volcano Center, 
walk on the glacier, and stay ovenight in Skógar. On Sunday, August 25, 
participants will set out in the morning for a hike on the Fimmvörðuháls 
trail, then will arrive in Básar and spend the night there. On Monday, 
August 26, they will hike in Þórsmörk (from Básar to Volcano Huts), will 
stay overnight in Volcano Huts and enjoy hot springs.Finally, the 
technical sessions will take place in Volcano Huts from Tuesday 27th 
August in the morning, until Thursday 29th August, when we will drive 
back to Reykjavik in the afternoon.

*****************************************************************************

Organizers

---------------

General and TPC co-chairs:

Pan Hui, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong 
Kong/Telekom Innovation Laboratories, Germany

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

Local arrangement committee:

Ólafur Helgason, Iceland

Publicity chair:

Aline Carneiro Viana, INRIA, France

Web chair:

Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of Cambridge, UK

Technical Program Committee:

Ken Banks, Kiwanja.net, South Africa

Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA

Gary Chan, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK

Marcelo Dias de Amorim, CNRS, France

Michael Doering, Bosch Research, Germany

Avri Doria, Independent Research Consultant, USA

Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Marco Fiore, INSA Lyon/INRIA, France

Roy Friedman, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel

Bo Han, AT&T Research, USA

Luigi Iannone, Telecom ParisTech, France

Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA

Gunnar Karlsson, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden

HengChang Liu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA

James Kwok, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Kyunghan Lee, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Korea

Franck Legendre, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Yong Li, Tsinghua University, China

Alessandro Mei, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy

Jörg Ott, Aalto University, Finland

Steering Committee:

Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK

Avri Doria, Independent Research Consultant, USA

Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK

Pan Hui, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong 
Kong/Telekom Innovation Laboratories, Germany

Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden

*****************************************************************************