Subject: [dtn-interest] Generic Opportunistic Routing Framework draft published draft-lindgren-dtnrg-gorf-00

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:20:09 +0200

Hi all,

Better late than never I suppose...
At the DTNRG interim meeting in Mountain View last summer we talked about
the possible benefits of having a generic routing framework to make it
easier to define/implement/test new routing algorithms and to try to avoid
that all new protocols end up only as research papers and never implemented
in a real system and as running code.

I've promised to write up a draft for this for a long time, and now it is
finally available (since I've promised to do a presentation of it at the
DTNRG meeting tomorrow, I finally had to get around to publishing it....).
The main protocol mechanisms of the framework very much come straight out
from RFC6693, with the routing algorithm specific parts cut out and instead
we have defined an API that the particular routing algorithm authors can
use to define a routing algorithm module as a separate document that
specifies a well-defined set of data structures and functions.

This allows anyone to easily write a (much shorter) draft that defines this
structures and functions and can then "plug" this into the framework and
have a working routing protocol. This has benefits both in terms of ease of
specification, but also makes quick prototyping much simpler as you can
have one framework implementation and then plug different routing
algorithms into it.

The draft is still a bit rough around the edges, so it will be updated
along the way, and we also hope to get comments and feedback from other.
In particular, we would appreciate if people that have proposed some
routing algorithm takes a look at the API defined in the framework and try
to write a routing algorithm module specification for their algorithm and
let us know if they were successful or if there is something else required
to make it work with their algorithm. We hope that we should be able to
support most current and future routing algorithms with this framework.

The framework draft is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-lindgren-dtnrg-gorf-00.txt

I've also created a draft of a first routing algorithm module for Epidemic
Routing (the easy one to do...), which is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-lindgren-dtnrg-gorf-epidemic-00.txt

I'll try to also have a routing algorithm module draft for PRoPHETv2
available by the time of the meeting tomorrow.

/Anders, Elwyn, Avri