Subject: [dtn-interest] Two weeks to deadline: Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks SI on "New Research Challenges in Mobile, Opportunistic and Delay-Tolerant Networks"

From: Lefteris Mamatas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:21:55 +0200

*** Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP ***

Call for Papers

Special Issue on New Research Challenges in Mobile, Opportunistic and
Delay-Tolerant Networks

Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks

* Deadline: February 17, 2014 *

http://www.journals.elsevier.com/ad-hoc-networks/call-for-papers/special-issue-on-new-research-challenges-in-mobile/

Internet is extending beyond its fixed network infrastructure boundaries by
gradually incorporating a wide range of challenging networks and autonomous
devices, serving non-traditional user communities, such as space missions,
disaster areas, and economically challenged populations. These hybrid
network environments require supportive strategies to exploit even the
slightest communication opportunity. Furthermore, the complexity of this
task increases if we also consider device constraints, energy aspects and
application diversity. In this context, what appears theoretically possible
becomes conditionally feasible only when all available network resources
are being efficiently exploited, including those hosted in nearby fixed
deployments.

New research paradigms can give a unification perspective to the various
pieces of the global network jigsaw puzzle. Software-Defined Networks
(SDNs), Mobile Cloud Computing and Information-Centric Networks (ICNs) are
among the recent innovations that can enable flexible solutions for
integrating infrastructure with mobile and opportunistic networks,
addressing challenging network conditions, and supporting promising new
applications.

This Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks Special Issue aims at soliciting original
manuscripts on experimental & theoretical work revisiting the research
areas of mobile and opportunistic networks in the context of recent
developments in networking research, including new fixed network
technologies and concrete use-cases (e.g., disaster situations, space
environments and free Internet deployments). On the one hand,
infrastructure networks are becoming more flexible and can provide a
supportive environment in which mobile-to-mobile communication can
flourish, e.g., improving the Quality of Experience (QoE) and energy
efficiency for users and devices, respectively. On the other hand, the
deployed opportunistic networks can extend the pool of available resources
and increase network coverage worldwide.

Topics for the special issue include, but are not limited to:
- Opportunistic Networks / Delay- and Disruption-Tolerant Networks
- Software-Defined Networks & OpenFlow deployments supporting mobile
communication
- Mobile Cloud Computing
- Information-Centric Networks for hybrid network deployments
- Space Communications extending the Internet
- Free Internet / Lowest-Cost Denominator Networking
- Extreme conditions / Disaster area communications
- Social networking based communications
- Test-beds / real deployments of infrastructure-supported mobile
communications
- Security, privacy and trust in challenging network environments
- Resource pooling between fixed infrastructures and mobile environments.
- New applications / services in integrated network environments
- Network management issues / solutions over hybrid network deployments.

* Submission Instructions *
Prospective Authors should follow the Ad Hoc Networks (Elsevier) journal
manuscript format describedathttp://www.elsevier.com/locate/adhoc
Please select "SI: NRC-MON" when you reach the "Article Type" step in the
submission process. Papers must be in single-column format, double-spaced,
use at least 11pt fonts, and should not exceed 25 pages including
references.

* Important Dates *
Manuscript Submission: February 17, 2014
Acceptance Notification: June 16, 2014
Final Manuscript Due: July 14, 2014

* Editor in Chief *
Ian Akyildiz, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA

* Guest Editors *
Vassilis Tsaoussidis, Democritus University of Thrace, Greece.
Scott Burleigh, NASA JPL, California Institute of Technology, USA
Lefteris Mamatas, University College London, UK