Subject: [dtn-interest] [CFP] Workshop on Energy Harvesting Communications, in conjunction with IEEE SECON 2014

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:29:11 +0100

Workshop on Energy Harvesting Communications
June 30, 2014
Co-located with IEEE SECON 2014 in Singapore

This workshop will focus on issues related to energy harvesting 
communications, co-located with IEEE SECON 2014 in Singapore. First, for 
wireless sensor networks, which operate at ultra-low-power, the small 
wireless autonomous sensors can be powered by harvesting ambient power 
that is scavenged in milliwatts or even microwatts. If these wireless 
sensors, deployed throughout a home or factory, in-building or even 
outdoors to monitor all kinds of environmental conditions, are powered 
by energy harvesting, there are no batteries to replace nor labour costs 
associated with replacing them, making them self-sustainable. However, 
the design of communication systems has to take into account the 
fluctuating and often unpredictable availability of energy source.

In a cellular network, energy harvesting can be used to provide power in 
many elements of a telecom network, saving considerable costs in 
electricity supply and providing low maintenance monitoring. Powering 
mobile phone base stations with wind or solar power allows telecom 
networks to expand beyond the limits of the power grid. The possibility 
of re-distribution of the renewable energy in smart grids allows further 
efficient utilization, but leads to many challenges as well.
Another important focus of this workshop is on RF energy harvesting. RF 
energy is currently broadcasted from billions of radio transmitters 
around the world, including mobile telephones, handheld radios, mobile 
base stations, and television/radio broadcast stations. The ability to 
harvest RF energy, from ambient or dedicated sources, enables wireless 
charging of low-power devices and has significant benefits to product 
design, usability, and reliability. Fundamental practical issues on 
realizing this ability leads to many interesting research problems.

This workshop considers energy harvesting related issues in 
communications. We especially welcome research work that pushes theory 
to practice, such as theoretical work with emphasis on how to solve 
practical problem, experimental work on new systems, and system-level 
considerations for practical deployment. The workshop solicits 
state-of-the-art technical papers that were not previously published and 
are not currently under review for publication elsewhere. The main 
sub-areas of interest include, but not limited to:
- Energy-harvesting base-station / relay / access point;
- Energy-harvesting and energy-efficient machine-to-machine (M2M) 
communications;
- Low-power and energy-harvesting wireless sensor network;
- Light (solar), thermal, vibration, RF, motion, wind energy harvesting;
- Wireless charging;
- Energy harvesting, storage, and recycling;
- Energy harvesting applications.

Paper submission due March 17, 2014
Acceptance by April 30, 2014
Final manuscript due May 12, 2014
Workshop date June 30, 2014

Papers must be submitted electronically via the EDAS system under the 
Workshop on Energy Harvesting Communications for SECON 2014 at 
http://edas.info/N16975. Paper format should follow the main conference 
but should be at most 6 pages long and in font size no smaller than 10 
points.

Workshop organizers:
Chin Keong Ho, Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore. Email: 
[email-masked]
Woon Hau Chin, Toshiba Research Europe, UK. Email: [email-masked]
Winston Seah, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ. Email: 
[email-masked]